GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Keyboard controlled games #1000726
02/02/15 08:12 PM
02/02/15 08:12 PM
florida
E
ErnestineZ Offline OP
Settled Boomer
ErnestineZ  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
E

florida
Does anyone know why there are fewer point and click games being introduced.

I have to admit I have never mastered keyboard so unless it's point and click I pass.

Salty
Re: Keyboard controlled games [Re: ErnestineZ] #1000731
02/02/15 08:35 PM
02/02/15 08:35 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I think most of them are point and click. Unless you are referring to Tell Tale games, most of them are either all P&C or you can change your preferences.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Keyboard controlled games [Re: ErnestineZ] #1000782
02/03/15 08:27 AM
02/03/15 08:27 AM
North Wales, UK
Elentgirl Offline
Shy Boomer
Elentgirl  Offline
Shy Boomer

North Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: ErnestineZ
Does anyone know why there are fewer point and click games being introduced.

I have to admit I have never mastered keyboard so unless it's point and click I pass.

I think it may be because of the increasing use of 3D engines like Unreal. It is usually easier to control movement in a 3D environment with keys than it is with a mouse, though I have played a 3D game in which the right mouse button was used to move you forward. That, however limits the freedom of movement a little, as you still need to involve keys if you wish to add running, jumping, crouching or side-stepping.

Like you, I prefer mouse only games, preferably with good pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, but I have played a few 3D adventure games and it can give you quite a different experience. If well done - as in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - it is like exploring the real world. smile If badly implemented. however, it can be just frustrating as you keep getting stuck on objects like gate posts, or walking into invisible barriers that stop you exploring all the environment. frown

Elen

You are only as old as your Avatar!
Re: Keyboard controlled games [Re: ErnestineZ] #1000807
02/03/15 10:48 AM
02/03/15 10:48 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Actually, if you're looking at 1st person games (where you look at the gameworld through the eyes of your character), many if not most recent games have used keyboard controls. For example

Among the Sleep
Anna
Dear Esther
Eleusis
Ether One
Gone Home
Montague's Mount
Vanishing of Ethan Carter

"Mouse control" isn't necessarily the same as point-and-click, and can be even clumsier than keyboard. Having to hold down the left mouse button while you use the mouse to aim in the general direction you want to move is hardly the same as point-and-click.

Not that there aren't 1st person games that use point-and-click. I believe the remade Shadowgate uses point-and-click, and the Nancy Drew games always have -- though that may be one of the things they change in their "new direction."

As Elentgirl pointed out, the lack of true point-and-click controls may be a function/limitation of using a 3D game engine like
the ***Unreal engine*** (Vanishing of Ethan Carter)
the ***Source engine*** (Dear Esther)
the ***Unity engine*** (Gone Home)
or similar.

Now if you're looking at 3rd person games (where you see your character on screen), I think most of those still have point-and-click controls.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Winfrey, LadyLinda), 372 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users