GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Can someone help me with DIG? #100805
03/05/03 01:34 AM
03/05/03 01:34 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I read that Soren got Dig to run on his XP, I have both Win98, and Win 2000, I also have an ATI video card (they don't produce drivers for Win95),
Any body out there know how to set this up for the later PC's?
Joyce

Re: Can someone help me with DIG? #100806
03/05/03 09:04 AM
03/05/03 09:04 AM
North aurora IL
burpee Offline
Addicted Boomer
burpee  Offline
Addicted Boomer

North aurora IL
I sold my Dig because I couldn't get it to play on my Win98. I'm sure it does, I just couldn't figure it out. I hope that someone comes to your rescue.

I played Dig long ago on my Win95 and remember having to click on 8bit or 16bit file in windows explorer to get it to run.

I also just finished Discworld 1 and installed and ran it by clicking on a batch file (.bat).

Re: Can someone help me with DIG? #100808
03/05/03 10:30 AM
03/05/03 10:30 AM
Chevy Chase, MD USA
S
Soren A Offline
Settled Boomer
Soren A  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Chevy Chase, MD USA
Following is what I included in my WT about getting The Dig to play:

First some words about getting The Dig to play on Windows. It is a pretty old game; the Readme, which is supposed to contain information that has been issued after the game is published, is dated October 1995. It was originally a DOS game, but was later configured for early Windows. It does not have an installation program, but is played directly from the game disk. I played it on Windows 98SE by accessing the CD-Rom containing the game disk using Windows Explorer, expanding it, and double clicking on DIG16MB. The initial menu has a DOS sound card configuration program to set the computer sound card software either automatically or manually, and automatic worked with my W98. I was also able to play it on Windows XP by using the Compatibility feature, but could not configure the XP sound card to work with game software, but experimenting with sound card data (port, IRQ, etc.) from W98 automatic selection I was able to manually set the XP so that I could access the game with sound by double clicking on DIG:EXE from the game disk. For the record, my choices were Sound Card: Sound Blaster Pro; Port: 220; IRQ: 5; DMA Channel: 1; Stereo Reverse: 0. More information may be found in Readme files on the game disk.

Hope that is clear; if not, please let me know so I can attemp clarification, also if it helps.

Soren A

Re: Can someone help me with DIG? #100809
03/05/03 08:32 PM
03/05/03 08:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks, Mags, I love it! I am learning sooooo much!
Soren, I got it to work on my 98! I have the box, complete with reference guide and all the material that came with the game. Finally decided to try the boot disk. It seems it was the memory manager that was causing the problem ( I think).
Anyway, it is working. However, did you have any problems with closing the game? I used the Alt X and it didn't respond, so I tried to shut it down with Windows, and Windows said it couldn't shut down the game, and to go read some help file about trouble with DOS games. I hadn't saved any games or anything, so I just did a restart, and pulled the disk. I tried to make sense of the Win98 help files for DOS games, but no luck.
Early HB to you, I am 69 tomorrow. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun!
Joyce

Re: Can someone help me with DIG? #100810
03/05/03 10:20 PM
03/05/03 10:20 PM
Chevy Chase, MD USA
S
Soren A Offline
Settled Boomer
Soren A  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Chevy Chase, MD USA
I didn't have to go the boot disk route. I put the disk in the CDRom, used Windows Explorer to find DIG16MB, double clicked on that, and got the initial blue menu. Clicked on the sound card configuation bar, and when that DOS pgm came up I used the automatic configuration choice to let the pgm configure the card, which it did. Then I played the game with no trouble.

Also no trouble closing it. Used F1 key to get the main menue--the save and load game one--and used the bottom Quit button. When you had trouble quitting, did you use the old three-fingered salute--Ctrl-Alt-Del--and end the pgm?

HB to you also, youngster.

Soren A

Re: Can someone help me with DIG? #100811
03/05/03 10:35 PM
03/05/03 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Soren, I used the restart button, keeps me from having to recheck the disks.
I use the alt/E for quitting the game, since I didn't want to save at that point. That was the instructions in the booklet.
I'll try the F1 menu option and see what happens.
Thanks loads, And my MIL, who was 100 last month, thinks you are a youngster, so I guess it just depends on where you are standing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 240 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users