GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Firefox and Shockwave problems #1010729
04/16/15 02:41 PM
04/16/15 02:41 PM
Oakland, Ca.
kazzmo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
kazzmo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Oakland, Ca.
I am having trouble with Shockwave Flash freezing and receiving Shockwave Flash is unresponsive errors. I am not even sure what Shockwave Flash means. Also, I am receiving a lot of Mozilla Firefox is not responding errors. I would appreciate any suggestions. Do I even need Shockwave?

Last edited by kazzmo; 04/16/15 03:03 PM.

Brick walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage. Give no thought of tomorrow, today was tomorrow and tomorrow will be today.
Re: Firefox and Shockwave problems [Re: kazzmo] #1010738
04/16/15 04:08 PM
04/16/15 04:08 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: kazzmo
I am having trouble with Shockwave Flash freezing and receiving Shockwave Flash is unresponsive errors.

This can be because of a slow or sporadic connection. It can also be because of a buggy script on the website you're visiting. It isn't necessarily due to a problem with your computer, though there may be a problem if your Flash issue is ongoing -- lasting more than a couple of weeks and happening on more than one website.

Quote:
Also, I am receiving a lot of Mozilla Firefox is not responding errors.

This could be related to your problem with Flash. I've certainly had issues with Flash occasionally freezing Firefox.

Quote:
Do I even need Shockwave?

Flash and Shockwave are used not only for videos and online games, but for other interactive content. Some websites are unusable without Flash.

If I look at my Firefox Add-Ons Manager I see "Shockwave Flash" listed under "Plugins." I think you can disable it from there. Or you can try using a Firefox Add-on that blocks Flash.

Once in a while I have problems looking at the GOG homepage, which uses Flash. Then after they update their homepage again, the GOG website works fine again. While it has a problem, I use NoScript to block Flash on the GOG website, and that keeps Firefox from freezing. However most people would find NoScript too complicated because you have to "train" it to some degree (e.g. -- allow this website, don't allow that one). There are other Firefox Add-Ons that block Flash that might be easier for you to work with.

You might also look at Adblock Plus if you're not already using it. Ads that use Flash may be poorly written and may even be malicious, and they aren't usually part of the website you're visiting.

Re: Firefox and Shockwave problems [Re: kazzmo] #1010742
04/16/15 05:09 PM
04/16/15 05:09 PM
Oakland, Ca.
kazzmo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
kazzmo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Oakland, Ca.
Jenny100, Thank you for your response. May I also ask, is Shockwave and Adobe Flash the same item?

Brick walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage. Give no thought of tomorrow, today was tomorrow and tomorrow will be today.
Re: Firefox and Shockwave problems [Re: kazzmo] #1010782
04/16/15 11:20 PM
04/16/15 11:20 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Not quite the same.
The main difference seems to be the program that was used to create the Flash or Shockwave thing, Adobe Director or Flash Professional CS5.
From the Adobe site
https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/kb/shockwave-player-faq.html
Quote:
Q: The difference between the Adobe Shockwave and Flash Players?

A: Shockwave Player displays content created with Adobe Director 11.5 software such as high-performance multiuser games, interactive 3D product simulations, online entertainment, and training applications. By using extensions, developers can extend the capabilities of Shockwave Player to play back custom-built applications.

Flash Player displays content created with Flash Professional CS5. This content includes web applications, website user interfaces, interactive online advertising, and rich Internet applications (RIAs) created using Flex.

Also from How Stuff Works at http://computer.howstuffworks.com/web-animation6.htm
Quote:
With each software update, the two formats move closer and closer together. Shockwave has better Web capability with each version, and Flash gets more versatile. Eventually, the two formats will probably be merged into one comprehensive format that encompasses the best qualities of each.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (soot), 507 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users