GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
email adverts #1012496
04/30/15 03:35 AM
04/30/15 03:35 AM
southampton ,England
P
petjo Offline OP
Settled Boomer
petjo  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
P

southampton ,England
I am not sure if anyone can help but I am fed up with intrusive adverts which are appearing in my emails and cannot be deleted.-- they are from btyahoo (uk) I appreciate this may not be in the forum's remit but any advice would be greatly appreciated--regards --petjo

pstill
Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012531
04/30/15 09:46 AM
04/30/15 09:46 AM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

Some email services enable you to label certain email as spam. When you and other users of that email service declare mail as spam, the service learns and transfers similar email to a trash folder. That email will not be sent to you.
Alternatively, email clients have the option learn what is spam and will send incoming spam to a junk folder. This option works well with broadband Internet connections but is not as good as the first with dial-up connections as downloading junk takes up too much time.

Post details of your service and email client and likely someone will post some specific instructions.

Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012532
04/30/15 09:50 AM
04/30/15 09:50 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012545
04/30/15 10:51 AM
04/30/15 10:51 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I'm unclear as to whether this advertising is IN the email as petjo says or just part of the advertising panel in most free web-based email including Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com etc.

Quote:
...intrusive adverts which are appearing in my emails and cannot be deleted

If they are IN your emails, then Robert Gault's suggestions might work. If they are not IN your email, but rather the ad panel, then Jenny's suggestion should work.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012591
04/30/15 07:44 PM
04/30/15 07:44 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

The issue may also be which version of Yahoo mail is being used. I use the old/basic version
https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/launch?.partner=sbc
while my local library uses the new version. The library shows many ads, some of which are sexually oriented.
I use Seamonkey and have AdBlock Plus installed so that might also be why I don't see the Yahoo ads.

Re: email adverts [Re: Robert Gault] #1012594
04/30/15 08:16 PM
04/30/15 08:16 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I have a yahoo email account and until I installed Ad Block Plus, an annoying email ad would show up IN my email, as an email, every time I accessed the account. This might be what petjo is referring to. Once I installed Ad Block Plus, these email ads no longer appeared.

Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012612
04/30/15 11:41 PM
04/30/15 11:41 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I have an elderly friend who has Yahoo mail through ATT and there is always an advertisement at the top of his email list. I just told him to ignore it. Maybe I will try Ad Block Plus the next time I work on his computer.

Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012626
05/01/15 03:15 AM
05/01/15 03:15 AM
southampton ,England
P
petjo Offline OP
Settled Boomer
petjo  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
P

southampton ,England
Thanks a lot to you all for your usual prompt replies ---the ads come on top of my list of emails and the check box is cunningly covered so that it cannot be deleted--very sly.
I will take up your suggestions of course and hope one of which will solve the problem but it may be that I will have to change to another email provider such as "Outlook".
These obtrusive ads are actually sponsored by BTYAHOO themselves--sharp practice I think-thanks again to you all ---Petjo

pstill
Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012653
05/01/15 08:54 AM
05/01/15 08:54 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
What is Seamonkey?

Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012658
05/01/15 09:56 AM
05/01/15 09:56 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you are talking about the free Outlook.com web-based email, it will also have ads on the right side. I don't know of any free web-based emails that DON'T have ads. I guess it's the price of them providing it to us for free - that's why you see the Yahoo ads at the top. They aren't "IN" your email, just on the Yahoo Mail page. The only way to completely avoid ads like that is to use an email client you install on your computer such as Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.

I don't know, Geo, but I did find this with a Google search..

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Re: email adverts [Re: Draclvr] #1012663
05/01/15 10:59 AM
05/01/15 10:59 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I have an elderly friend who has Yahoo mail through ATT and there is always an advertisement at the top of his email list. I just told him to ignore it. Maybe I will try Ad Block Plus the next time I work on his computer.

If the person has Yahoo email through AT&T, you should be able to remove the ads through the control options.

I don't remember how I did it, but it is certainly possible to get rid of the ads if you're using AT&T.
Try using the link on this page
http://www.att.com/gen/privacy-policy?pid=24339
where it says
Quote:
Advertising on att.net: You can opt-out of receiving targeted online ads from Yahoo! when using our att.net email service or other Yahoo! services ***here***.

You must log in before that link will work.

Opting out of ads may not be an option for the free Yahoo email, but if you're using AT&T email you're paying for the email account. However it is "opt out" and by default you see the ads.

Originally Posted By: Geo
What is Seamonkey?

Seamonkey is a combination web browser/email client/newsgroup reader/html editor.
Think of it as the Firefox web browser combined with Thunderbird email client.

Seamonkey cannot do anything that Firefox and Thunderbird cannot do other than the html editing.
If the AdBlock Plus in Firefox doesn't remove an ad, the AdBlock Plus in Seamonkey won't either.

The main reasons to use Seamonkey are if you want an all-in-one web browser/email client, or if you prefer the interface, which is more "old-fashioned" by default (so you don't need to install an add-on like "Classic Theme Restorer" to get something you know how to use, the way you do with Firefox).

Re: email adverts [Re: petjo] #1012701
05/01/15 04:33 PM
05/01/15 04:33 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Thank you, Jenny! I have bookmarked that information and will definitely check it out next time I work on his computer! I loathe Yahoo Mail on every computer I work on. The spam filter is essentially useless. Whereas, the one my local ISP uses is very efficient. I don't see any spam unless I choose to. I do go to my web-mail to check the spam filter every day.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 314 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users