GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
kholat the map? #1018862
06/15/15 10:36 AM
06/15/15 10:36 AM
Quebec, Canada
C
cyanne Offline OP
Shy Boomer
cyanne  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
C

Quebec, Canada
Hello
Can somebody explain to me how the map and compas in Kholat works?
First: What the latitude and longitude on the left of the map means? Are we suppose to go there?
Second: What are those "beads" and sort of igloo drawn on the map mean?
Third: There is a kind of letter "I" on the map, I do not know what its means either.

In other words how does this game works? I never had that difficulty before with a game.
I do know all the letters of command (wasd journal, compas, etc.) but have no idea what goal should we achieve. It is a little bit like "Dear esther". Are there other tents in this game.

Thanks for the help if you can.

Cyanne43
Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1018869
06/15/15 11:14 AM
06/15/15 11:14 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
The only info I can find about this is from reviews; here is one example:

Quote:
The game does not feature a traditional interface; there are no waypoints leading you to your destinations, the map doesn't show you your current location, and you are given no standard quest objectives. Instead, you have a layout of the area, markers that show you the camps (that is, save points) and notes you have already found, and a sequence of geographic coordinates that indicate where you can find the vital landmarks. You journey forward based only on your reading of the map, and the occasional map coordinates that someone has scrawled across the rocks and walls throughout the region.

Hopefully another player will be able to provide more info about the map and the compass.

Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1018901
06/15/15 01:10 PM
06/15/15 01:10 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
There's a YouTube playthrough where the player is figuring out how to use the map and compass as he goes along. Check the 2nd and 3rd videos on his playlist where he learns how to navigate using the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiQfnH4bENo&list=PLY9W4Ed0L4kXmCe_O_ZZL9X-X3mZT5ZUj&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0cvzf-pyM&list=PLY9W4Ed0L4kXmCe_O_ZZL9X-X3mZT5ZUj&index=3

Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1018902
06/15/15 01:11 PM
06/15/15 01:11 PM
Quebec, Canada
C
cyanne Offline OP
Shy Boomer
cyanne  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
C

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Marian

Here is a review that I found that answered my questions and maybe can help or discourage some other.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-kholat-review

Cyanne43
Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1018908
06/15/15 01:32 PM
06/15/15 01:32 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
The videos and the review info should help players - thanks!

Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1019053
06/16/15 01:39 PM
06/16/15 01:39 PM
Quebec, Canada
C
cyanne Offline OP
Shy Boomer
cyanne  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
C

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Jenny for the link. (have a hard time understanding what he is saying but it does help. I am french) I understand a little bit better but it is to move following the compas that I have a hard time. I have no sense of direction. I get lost a lots of time.
I have found out that when you are dead if you are near a tent or a sign the "continue" will start there.

Cyanne43
Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1019058
06/16/15 02:07 PM
06/16/15 02:07 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: cyanne
Here is a review that I found that answered my questions and maybe can help or discourage some other.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-kholat-review

Thanks for the link, cyanne.
I was considering trying the game because of the nice snowy graphics, despite that it uses the type of navigation that usually gives me motion sickness (simulation sickness).

The well-written Eurogamer review told me exactly what I needed to know.

I'm no fan of sudden unpredictable deaths, but combined with the unacceptable lack of save capability, this game is not something I'd want to play.

I'm so sick of the autosaves, single saves, and checkpoint system that have infested many newer adventure games.
It seems the game engine they used may produce nice-looking graphics, but it fails to provide the much-needed save capability.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter got a patch to increase the number of save location checkpoints. It never had true save capability, but offered a sort of workaround that made it tolerable to play. Perhaps Kholat will eventually get a similar patch. It doesn't seem playable at the moment, whether you get motion sickness or not.

Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1019189
06/17/15 02:00 PM
06/17/15 02:00 PM
united kingdom
safc Offline
Addicted Boomer
safc  Offline
Addicted Boomer

united kingdom
Hi

Thanks for you thoughts on the game Jenny100, I looked at the trailer and the initial walkthrough on Youtube and got the same feeling as if you didnt know where you where going, as there is no set path, I am of the same opinion I will wait to see if there are any patches to improve the game before I buy

Cheers
SAFC

Old Adventures don't die they just forget to Save
Re: kholat the map? [Re: cyanne] #1019319
06/18/15 01:27 PM
06/18/15 01:27 PM
Quebec, Canada
C
cyanne Offline OP
Shy Boomer
cyanne  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
C

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Jenny
You have said exactly what I am thinking. I am fed up with those seldom autosave and I will let go the game Kholat because of that. Specialy that you almost never know where you are except from those rare sign. You die a thousand time and restart a thousand time also. I do not understand this compas thing. It is upside down on the map. The south is up and the north is down, so the east should be left and west should be right no? Being a bit dyslexic my mind cannot take this. I am dumb or what. My husband being great at understanding PC doesn't understand either.
Ethan Carter was much more friendly even with the autosave but WOW do I hate those. It takes nothing to add a space for our own saves. Even is there are about 8 saves, at least you have some control of the game. This checkpoint system is driving me crazy.In kholat all you ear is a snow storm and wolfes for hours specialy if you have to restart all the time over again, it is anoying even if the game is beautiful. Being dead every 2 minutes is really anoying too. You cannot hide or run, the monster is always catching you.
Anyway lets hope that the people who makes games read what their client wants. I am sure it is possible even with the UnrealEngine.
Sorry for being so blunt.

Cyanne43
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Draclvr), 362 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users