GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Silver Lining #1018987
06/15/15 11:37 PM
06/15/15 11:37 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Watching the Kings Quest snippet via the link plswdth provided set me to wondering about The Silver Lining.

So I looked briefly on-line but could find no updates.

Has the project now been shelved ??

Cheers.

Mad think

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Mad] #1019015
06/16/15 08:16 AM
06/16/15 08:16 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

The last posting about the game was last year - here.

Looks like it's still work in progress.

Re: The Silver Lining [Re: MaG] #1019071
06/16/15 04:13 PM
06/16/15 04:13 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks, MaG smile

I suppose the game has to compete for "development" time nowadays - with the studio having success with "commercial" games whistle

Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Mad] #1019076
06/16/15 04:43 PM
06/16/15 04:43 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
The latest updates from Phoenix Online are:

May 2015 -

Quote:
Today, I have some good news: we can actually play through all of Episode 5 from front to back!

Now this is far from saying it's DONE--just that we have enough of the logic and placeholders in there such that it's possible to get from start to finish, and that logic is all working right now. There's still a ways to go, but that we can actually play through the whole thing is definitely a big step.

Our current percentages stand at:
Game logic and programming: 95%
Props: 80%
Backgrounds: 70% (without polish)
Cinematics: 55%
Characters: 30% (including uprezzing and rigging)

So, good job team, and keep tuning in for more updates!

March 2015 -
Quote:
I know we've been very quiet and lax on giving updates, and I know that's frustrating. So upfront, my apologies for that.

While I feel it’s been said before, but maybe not in one place, is that progress on TSL Episode 5 is very slow. We absolutely DO want to release it, we WANT to close out the story that we started, that desire is 100% there.

The team working on TSL and the people working on the commercial games are different groups. The majority of the ones working on TSL are volunteers and as has always been the case, working on the game in your spare time is a slow-moving thing. There are reasons that it took us ten years to release the first episodes, and those shared most of the same backgrounds and characters! A video game is a LOT of work even if you're working on it full time with a full team. These people are awesome to be giving their time to this, because they have jobs, classes, families, and so forth. Currently, the team is very small, yes, and while those of us doing commercial work try to help when we can, that's also hard because we likewise have day jobs (that is, the commercial games).

That said, there is progress happening, and yes, we are getting closer to completion. So here are some of the things we’ve been working on, a rough status check, and a few new images to show you how the game is shaping up now.

Engine Upgrade. As you all know, we’ve moved from Torque to Unity. This is a big change and means not only that everyone using the engine needs to learn how to use it, but also that many assets are being adjusted or even remade entirely to work with Unity.
Visual Upgrades. By this, I mean both upgrading scenes used in Episodes 1-4, as well as finishing and upgrading the new screens. We've especially been working on giving them a lovely new painted look. For example, here's the Isle of Mist Sacred Circle, the Forest Sanctuary and the Forest Entrance as seen before in Episodes 1-4, and for Episode 5.

Model Upgrades. The characters are also all being upgraded from their previous version, and new models are being made/upgraded to match this look. Here are the old and new version of Rosella and the icy Ooga Booga land we last saw her in:

Status Report:
Game logic and programming: 80%
Props: 80%
Backgrounds: 70% (without polish)
Cinematics: 50%
Characters: 30% (including uprezzing and rigging)

So while there is still a lot to be done, we have also made a lot of progress, slowly but surely. I'd love to say the game will come out this year, but I can't promise that will happen. When we DO know when it will release, you can be sure we'll plaster the whole site with that information!

As well, I'll try to make sure that I or other team members make some more regular updates. I won't promise a specific schedule or frequency beyond that, though, because I don't want to disappoint anyone further if we then get off that schedule. But I can at least say we will try to do better than we have, and I hope that helps.

To close out, I want to reiterate: we DO want to finish this project, and we WILL. I can't give you a date, but I can promise that much. It's a very big deal to us to finish TSL, and everyone who has supported us along the way more than deserves to see that ending for all their belief and patience over the years! It truly does mean so much to us, and thanks to that, we've been able to work on these commercial games, from Cognition to Gabriel Knight, and they've all been dreams come true.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Silver Lining [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1019080
06/16/15 04:53 PM
06/16/15 04:53 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Space Quest Fan Offline
Graduate Boomer
Space Quest Fan  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Upper Arlington, Ohio
thanks for the info. thumbsup

It's nice to be important but it is much more important to be nice.
Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Space Quest Fan] #1019088
06/16/15 05:27 PM
06/16/15 05:27 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thank you VERY much, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup Lots of stuff there I simply wasn't aware of smile

Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Mad] #1036404
10/15/15 08:19 AM
10/15/15 08:19 AM
Denmark
O
Ole Offline
Settled Boomer
Ole  Offline
Settled Boomer
O

Denmark
I went to this site:

http://www.postudios.com/company/games/thesilverlining/index.php

and downloaded the game.

However, I did not know which program to use to open the game,
so I contacted Phoenix Online for a solution and within a couple
of hours I received a reply stating that I should add .exe to
the name and open the game.

I did that, but my system reported that the file was corrupted.

This I told Phoenix Online but they never answered my mail!

It all seems a bit dodgy to me so please beware!

Ole

Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Ole] #1036417
10/15/15 09:14 AM
10/15/15 09:14 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I doubt there's anything "dodgy" going on but I do think it will be a long time before we have a fully finished game yes

Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Mad] #1036430
10/15/15 10:20 AM
10/15/15 10:20 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
THere is nothing dodgy going on. Phoenix online is a safe site. YOu may want to redownload, sounds like something went wrong during the download.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Mad] #1036517
10/15/15 11:17 PM
10/15/15 11:17 PM
Lost in the Arizona Desert
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lost in the Arizona Desert
Almost all the game from POSTUDIOS have the problem of having to add .exe at the end of the downloaded file and I've gotten accustomed to that.

As far as Silver Lining is concerned, I, having been one of the biggest fans of the project and having joined the campaign way back for Phoenix to get permission to work on the game, and seeing it change from KQ9 to Silver Lining and all the turmoil that went in to getting the game developed, I am a little frustrated that it has taken so many years to just get this one chapter finished. I've read all the blogs about why and the fact that they're still working on it but I've developed a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude.

They keep saying that the commercial endeavors have no effect on the project but I find that a little hard to believe. I, for one, am getting a little tired of reading about how they are still working on it and the project is not dead. If not dead, it is sure a little ill.

Before you ask, I have posted this on their board as well.

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: The Silver Lining [Re: Mad] #1036523
10/15/15 11:53 PM
10/15/15 11:53 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
They don't have other projects going so that isn't the reason for the delay. Since it's all volunteer, it does require a lot of free time for a lot of folks.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Silver Lining [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1036589
10/16/15 02:57 PM
10/16/15 02:57 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I do feel that some of the "passion" for the project has diminished over time frown

When the "rights" were being fought for all those years ago the passion of the volunteer creators was very strong.
And THAT (together with the enthusiasm of those of us who supported them in every way we could) was what drove the campaign and secured the victory whistle

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kaki's Sister), 222 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users