GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two #1020494
06/27/15 11:17 AM
06/27/15 11:17 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
This post stems from a renewed interest in casual PC games. I have played both "New York Mysteries." For me, the first in the series was vastly superior to the second although even the second was several cuts above what I remember about IHOGs. I have also played "The Emptiness" and "I Know a Tale." "I Know a Tale" captured my attention and admiration because it did a lot on what appeared to be a shoestring. In short, I am looking for adventure game stand-ins from the last two or three years on a par with the cleverness of "Secrets of the Mafia" and "I Know a Tale." The fewer HO scenes the better.

I have played two "Drawn" games. Unlike many people, I was not taken with the graphics. I did enjoy the games. My quest is for newer games.

I prefer downloading from Big Fish assuming its reputation remains untarnished.

IHOGs seem to have morphed--rather fittingly--into HOPAs. Is that correct?

(Note: I checked my purchase history on BFG and saw that I'm about two years behind, so I edited this post to reflect that.)

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020496
06/27/15 11:28 AM
06/27/15 11:28 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I haven't played a casual this year so I will let others answer you for new suggestions. BigFish is still the same though, their customer service remains top notch!

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020511
06/27/15 12:33 PM
06/27/15 12:33 PM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Thanks. I am really hoping for some suggestions.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020512
06/27/15 12:36 PM
06/27/15 12:36 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
If you liked the New York Mysteries games, I'm thinking that another game by the same developer might be something you would like (i.e., fewer HOPs and more adventure/puzzles). The title I am thinking of is Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen.

If I think of any other games that you might like, I will post. smile

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020768
06/29/15 11:20 AM
06/29/15 11:20 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Thanks. Marian. I bought Lost Lands: Four Horsemen. While not as nimbly rendered and plotted as Secrets of the Mafia, the premise of a bespectacled mom on an unexpected quest is intriguing enough.

I also played Nightmare Adventures: Turning Thorn because I read that it had no HO scenes. I admired many, many things about it. Unfortunately, some of the puzzles seemed glitchy and that meant I wasn't as willing to settle down into figuring them out as I would have been had the game run flawlessly. I hope the developers, Ghost Ship Studios, are still around because Nightmare Adventures: Turning Thorn showed tremendous promise.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020769
06/29/15 11:25 AM
06/29/15 11:25 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Some players on this forum are enjoying an adventure-lite game called The Emptiness; that might be a good one for you to try, as well. wave

I believe that Ghost Ship Studios is working on another game, but no details yet.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020874
06/30/15 12:10 AM
06/30/15 12:10 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Online content
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Online Content
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

Ghost Ship Studios made a game before Nightmare Adventures: Turning Thorn called Nightmare Adventures: The Witches Prison. It was also an adventure-lite game with no HO scenes, and, unlike Turning Thorn, had no glitches. I was really disappointed with Turning Thorn and all its glitches, especially after having enjoyed The Witches Prison so much. You should try The Witches Prison, I'm sure you will like it. Highly recommended.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: Uncle Reg] #1020912
06/30/15 09:38 AM
06/30/15 09:38 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
You are so right, Uncle Reg. I was assuming that 8dognight had already played the other Nightmare Adventures game, but I could be wrong. That would be a definite recommendation from me, as well. wave

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020926
06/30/15 11:39 AM
06/30/15 11:39 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Thanks, Uncle Reg and Marian. I'm going to buy Witches Prison. I have not played it. I am looking forward to it.

Four Horsemen has some amusing puzzles along with memory challenges, meaning I was thinking, "Okay, another medallion. Now where did I last see places for medallions? Humph, a key. How many chests are left, where the dickens are they, and what do the keyholes look like?" I loved being able to play on hard without a bunch of officious sparkles spoiling discovery for me. I'm not wild about any HOs, including silhouetted HOs; however, I Ghost Ships does a better job with them than many I remember from a few years ago because their silhouettes interact with each other in inventory as part of an otherwise point and click adventure. Picky. Picky. I know.

My one problem with BFG is that what gets billed as an adventure game or adventure lite often isn't, hence my question on this board.

If you think of any others, please, let me know.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020973
06/30/15 05:54 PM
06/30/15 05:54 PM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Drat. I have played Witches Prison. BFG reminded me I already own the game. I downloaded again. I remember the whole thing only very vaguely and am playing playing again. If either think of any other games, don't forget to post, please.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1020974
06/30/15 06:23 PM
06/30/15 06:23 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Some of these are older games, but perhaps you missed a few of them:

Eternal Journey: New Atlantis and Lost Lands: Dark Overlord are from the same developer as New York Mysteries.

A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets. This one kind of reminded me of a King's Quest game.

Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel. No hidden object scenes at all.

Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween. Lots of puzzles - mostly a casual adventure game.

True Fear: Forsaken Souls. There are some hidden object scenes but not too many - this game was a big favorite among casual game players, and a sequel is due out later this year.

Fright. Another one well-liked by players. There are some hidden object scenes but not too many.

The Emptiness. Adventure lite is how I would describe it.

Green Moon. No hidden object scenes. Some folks loved it while others didn't like it at all. I thought it was a good game that required a lot of thought.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else. wave

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1021405
07/03/15 10:24 AM
07/03/15 10:24 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Marian, I'm playing my way through these. I played the Emptiness last week. Right now I'm in the middle of True Fear Forsaken Souls. Thank-you for the list.

Re: Point and Click Adventure Game Stand-ins from Last Year or Two [Re: 8dognight] #1021408
07/03/15 10:58 AM
07/03/15 10:58 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I'm happy to read that you were able to find some new games to play. I'm still thinking of other titles I could suggest. Another one that came to mind is Royal Trouble - it's an older game, quite well done, and there are no hidden object scenes whatsoever.

Also give Cadenza: Music, Betrayal, and Death a try. Interesting, original, and great music.

Happy Fourth of July. 4th smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Uncle Reg), 308 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users