GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around #1026065
07/31/15 10:39 AM
07/31/15 10:39 AM
J
Janjakes Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Janjakes  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
J

I installed Myst V End of Ages onto my Windows 8.1 pc without problem up to the point where DirectX 9 was required. DirectX 9 failed to install but Myst V was still left on my PC and would load OK except there were no images just a black screen.
I uninstalled Myst V using ‘Add Remove Programs’ in Control Panel and tried to re-install it again but now it won’t install at all.
I insert the disk and select the option to install Mystv.exe, the Install window opens, I select Install and the ‘InstallShield Wizard’ runs then a small box with the heading ‘Installer’ appears and that is it nothing happens...when I click the box to remove it another box opens with a warning that it could not delete a temporary file. C:\Users\DG’s\AppData\Local\Temp\ismp002\4375904 The last few numbers change every time this warning appears.

Can anyone help me to sort out this problem and get me back to being able to install my game.

Thanks

Jan

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026068
07/31/15 10:50 AM
07/31/15 10:50 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You might try removing that temp file manually. You may have to enable show Hidden Files first. After you open up C:\, the setting is under the View tab.

You can also try running CCleaner on the registry to be sure all traces of it are removed from there.

Or use the free Revo Uninstaller which removes all traces of programs.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Draclvr] #1026069
07/31/15 10:58 AM
07/31/15 10:58 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
After you completely uninstall the game (Revo Uninstaller would be my suggestion), I found a thread here that has a link to a patch along with some additional instructions that works for Windows 8, so you might want to try that as well.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026087
07/31/15 12:02 PM
07/31/15 12:02 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
As I remember, I was unable to install this one from the disks on Windows 8. I "think" it's available as a download that has been tweaked to run on Windows 8 from GOG.com.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Draclvr] #1026106
07/31/15 01:29 PM
07/31/15 01:29 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Draclvr
As I remember, I was unable to install this one from the disks on Windows 8. I "think" it's available as a download that has been tweaked to run on Windows 8 from GOG.com.

Yes, here is the link: Myst 5: End of Ages Limited Edition

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026576
08/04/15 09:06 AM
08/04/15 09:06 AM
J
Janjakes Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Janjakes  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
J

Hi Draclvr and Marian, I have downloaded and run Revo...took several hours for it to complete but it has made no difference.
I too was under the impression that Myst V would not install on Windows 8.1 but in my case it did install and functioned normally except there were no images. I thought maybe a change of Quicktime may cure the lack of images...This worked for me when I had the same problem installing MYST...but I have been unable to get past the installShield dialogue box since the uninstallation so can't check this out.
I am aware of the GOG version of Myst V and may have to resort to using that in the end. However I would if possible like to find out why I can't install Myst V after it installed OK the first time.

Thanks

Jan

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026586
08/04/15 10:15 AM
08/04/15 10:15 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I found this online. No idea whether or not it would help. It involves tinkering with the registry, though, so of course I would be very careful were you to try it.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026590
08/04/15 10:47 AM
08/04/15 10:47 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Janjakes
I have downloaded and run Revo...took several hours for it to complete...

WHAT!!!???
It shouldn't take that long.
Something is wrong there.
Something may be blocking REVO from doing its job.
Maybe you need to make an "exception" for Revo in your antivirus settings, and maybe run it as Administrator (right-click the REVO executable and choose "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.

Quote:
I thought maybe a change of Quicktime may cure the lack of images...This worked for me when I had the same problem installing MYST...

The only Myst games to use QuickTime on PC were Myst and Riven.
QuickTime doesn't affect PC versions of the later games.

Although there was a QuickTime logo on the Myst III: Exile box, the PC version of the game didn't use QuickTime. The Mac version did though, and since the box included both PC and Mac versions, the QuickTime logo ended up on the box. But I played the entire Myst III game on a PC which had never had QuickTime installed.

Quote:
I would if possible like to find out why I can't install Myst V after it installed OK the first time.

Possibly due to Windows updates?
Or antivirus updates?

Really though, I wouldn't want to play it without the images.
You might be missing clues.
If you don't want to pay the $9.99 GOG is charging, wait until GOG has a sale.
You may be able to get it for 75% off around Christmas/New Years.

***Marian's link*** may be the best option for uninstalling remnants of the previous install though.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026595
08/04/15 12:13 PM
08/04/15 12:13 PM
J
Janjakes Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Janjakes  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
J

Hi Marian and Jenny100, I have now got Myst V running OK on Windows 8.1.
Instead of using Setup to install the game I clicked on the Myst V icon to install. This seemed to bypass the InstallShield and the installation ran through to the end. There was a problem at the end when asked to install DirectX 9 it failed with a message saying it was not compatible with this version of windows.
I then followed the instructions for a French Vista patch found here... http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/822721-Myst-End-of-Ages-with-widows-8-Forums
and all is working OK.

I now have Myst, Myst 3, Myst 4 and Myst V working on windows 8.1. Strangely I can't get Riven to install on Windows 8 even though Microsoft say in is compatible.

Thank you to you all for taking the time to help me with this..it is very much appreciated.

Jan

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026596
08/04/15 12:19 PM
08/04/15 12:19 PM
J
Janjakes Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Janjakes  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
J

Just one more thing...How do you create the links such as ***Marian's link***

Thanks

Jan

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026597
08/04/15 12:20 PM
08/04/15 12:20 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Glad to hear you got it working, Jan. thumbsup

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026609
08/04/15 12:57 PM
08/04/15 12:57 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Just one more thing...How do you create the links such as ***Marian's link***

Thanks

Jan

Remove the extra spaces from
[ u r l = h t t p : / / w w w . i a i d . i n f o / i - c a n n o t-install-myst-v-end-of-ages-after-a-previous-installation-failed / ] * * * M arian's link * * * [ / u r l ]

or put another way

[ u r l = h t t p link to what you want to link to ] how you want the link to display [ / u r l ]

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026634
08/04/15 05:37 PM
08/04/15 05:37 PM
J
Janjakes Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Janjakes  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
J

You mean like this

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1026635
08/04/15 05:43 PM
08/04/15 05:43 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
By jove, I believe you've got it! Glad you got the game running...

Myst 5 end of ages #1039162
11/02/15 10:43 AM
11/02/15 10:43 AM
Wiltshire, UK
K
kingpin Offline
Shy Boomer
kingpin  Offline
Shy Boomer
K

Wiltshire, UK
Hi Guys.
Sorry to trouble you but I seem to Have a problem installing Myst 5 End of Ages.
When I try to instal I get a notification ' A previous installment of Myst 5 End of Ages has been detected on this computer. Please uninstall the product first if you would like to proceed with the new installation'
My problem is that I don't know where to look for this installation.
Is there anybody out there that can tell me where to look and how to remove it.
Thanks in anticipation.
kingpin

Re: Myst 5 end of ages [Re: kingpin] #1039167
11/02/15 11:03 AM
11/02/15 11:03 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Your problem has been posted by several people here in the past. It seems that if you uninstall Myst 5 and then try to reinstall it, you often get an error message like yours or some other difficulty.

The last discussion about this, I believe, can be found here. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the thread, you can read about how the original poster got the game reinstalled successfully.

Re: Myst 5 end of ages [Re: kingpin] #1039177
11/02/15 11:54 AM
11/02/15 11:54 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If it's a lingering registry entry, running CCleaner on the registry "might" pick it up and get rid of it.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1039199
11/02/15 03:29 PM
11/02/15 03:29 PM
Ontario, Canada
teresa Offline
Settled Boomer
teresa  Offline
Settled Boomer

Ontario, Canada
Hi - I cannot get Myst 5 to install on xp or windows 7, it keeps telling me I already have a version of this game and I have to uninstall first before the game will be reinstalled. I did play game on xp but had downloaded a preview on 7. Question, to save me pulling out my hair in frustration if I download another copy from a website that says it can play on 7 will it work or will I get the same message. I understand you must be a supervisor to delete previous copy (at least that wa s what I was told). don't know or want to know how to become a person of importance, just want to play the game. The message I got, again from the web was and I quote - to delete from the system select and drag myst 5 from User\library\application support\myst 5 end of ages found in this system path to trash. don't have a clue what this means, but it might help someone smarter than me. Maybe Ubisoft might be persuaded to give us a patch or something. I have only played this game once now it sits on the shelf. frustrating.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: teresa] #1039201
11/02/15 04:16 PM
11/02/15 04:16 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: teresa
Hi - I cannot get Myst 5 to install on xp or windows 7, it keeps telling me I already have a version of this game and I have to uninstall first before the game will be reinstalled.

Did you try the previously suggested fixes?

Instead of using Setup to install the game I clicked on the Myst V icon to install. This seemed to bypass the InstallShield and the installation ran through to the end.

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
If it's a lingering registry entry, running CCleaner on the registry "might" pick it up and get rid of it.

================================

Originally Posted By: teresa
I did play game on xp but had downloaded a preview on 7. Question, to save me pulling out my hair in frustration if I download another copy from a website that says it can play on 7 will it work or will I get the same message.

In all likelihood you'll get the same message.
You need to either remove the registry entry that's telling the game it's already installed or find a way to bypass the check when installing.

==================================

The two concurrent threads on the same topic of Myst V reinstall problems have been combined.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Janjakes] #1039223
11/02/15 07:04 PM
11/02/15 07:04 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

This won't help the original posters but for the future.... The owner's manual for this game says to uninstall from Windows, start the Myst program and select Uninstall. You don't use the Windows Add/Remove function.
I just tested this by installing Myst End of Ages, clicking on the Myst desktop icon, and indicating I wanted to uninstall the game. After uninstalling the game, I was able to reinstall it without any problems.

Re: Myst V End of Ages fails to install second time around [Re: Robert Gault] #1039224
11/02/15 07:18 PM
11/02/15 07:18 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
That's interesting, Robert. Maybe for some players, in this instance it's a case of when all else fails, read the instructions. I have never played this game, but if I had, I probably would have used add/remove to uninstall it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users