GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Carol Reed parody #1029727
08/27/15 07:41 AM
08/27/15 07:41 AM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

Hi all!

I also just stumbled across this thread a few days ago and couldn't believe I missed it first time around.

I installed Darryl Creed last night to test it out and the only problem I had was during the install the "Msdxm6.ocx" failed to register. I just hit ignore. I didn't use any compatibility mode and the game played fine, WITH SOUND, on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Was wondering if the problem was fixed or have I stumbled across the right combo of settings, codecs, plugins and redistributables?

I can try to make a list of what I have if anyone wants to try it out.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029743
08/27/15 10:08 AM
08/27/15 10:08 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thanks fgvub and welcome to GameBoomers!

I'll move this post to Glitches to help others in case they have an issue.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029746
08/27/15 10:25 AM
08/27/15 10:25 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thank you Fgvub

Although I have the sound in XP I have none in Win 7 64bit so I am curious to see what our experts say about this.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029768
08/27/15 01:16 PM
08/27/15 01:16 PM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

I created an html file you can download:

http://uploaded.net/file/g4frtkq2

Lists anything that could have something to do with it working.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029843
08/27/15 10:54 PM
08/27/15 10:54 PM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

Hi again all smile

Just to let you know that I've been working with Vbox to try and solve this problem. I've narrowed it down to a conflict of Windows Media Player. Apparently the game doesn't like it (can't blame it a bit lol )

So apparently, I do have that sweet spot on my system.

I'm trying to get it to work on a simple Win 7 x64 install. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029847
08/27/15 11:07 PM
08/27/15 11:07 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thanks for keeping us posted - I am interested in all of this, too. wave

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029852
08/27/15 11:53 PM
08/27/15 11:53 PM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

Okay, I got it to work on a basic install. Just Win 7 x64 (no updates, nothing) and Darryl Creed.

This is what I did.

Make sure you have the 2 following files in your "C:\Windows\Syswow64" folder:

gif89.dll http://ul.to/8xg4tn2d

msdxm6.ocx http://ul.to/yb4lnkzy

1.) Register the gif89.dll

In your Start Menu under Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and run as Administrator.

In the Command Prompt type the following and press enter: cd C:\\Windows\Syswow64
It should switch to that path.

Now type: regsvr32 "gif89.dll" (with the quotes)

Hit Enter.

A popup should say it was registered.

2.) Turn off the Windows Media Features

Go to the Control Panel, to Programs and Features. You should see a link to "Turn Windows Features on or off", click that.

In the popup, expand "Media Features".

Uncheck the 3 boxes below and click ok. You'll have to restart your computer.

3.)Register the msdxm6.ocx (sort of... LOL)

(Since you turned off the Media Features, you'll get an error from the "msdxm6.ocx" file if you try to run the game.)

In your Start Menu under Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and run as Administrator.

In the Command Prompt Type the following and press enter: cd C:\\Windows\Syswow64
It should switch to that path.

Now type: regsvr32 "msdxm6.ocx" (with the quotes)

Hit Enter.

You'll get a popup that says it's loaded but failed to register. Ignore it and hit okay.

Exit the Command Prompt and try your game.

When you're finished with the game just go back and turn the Media features back on.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029858
08/28/15 01:30 AM
08/28/15 01:30 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
fgvub, that's interesting solution, thanks! I did not want to mess with my Windows 7, but I tried uninstalling Windows Media Player in Windows 10 - yes, music and sound did appear in 'Darryl Creed'!

However, it is not surprising that many other games do not run there now telling that 'wmp.dll is not registered correctly or a file is missing' etc. Windows Media Player is an essential part of the system after all, so that could not be universal solution - just uninstall Windows Media Player to play 'Darryl Creed', and then install Windows Media Player again smile

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029882
08/28/15 06:35 AM
08/28/15 06:35 AM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

Hi Iurii,

I never use WMP. It's one of the features that I turn off or uninstall on any system I'm using, which is probably why I didn't have a problem running Darryl Creed on my personal system. And, I suspect, that other software loaded the necessary DLL and OCX file in my Syswow64 folder.

I did find it surprising that you had a problem running games because of an unregistered wmp.dll. Never seen that one before. But you got me curious. So, I ran a search on my Windows folder and found 10 listings for the wmp.dll in the Winsxs folder lol

Welcome to Microsoft, where NOTHING is truely uninstalled!

Registering a dll or ocx file won't mess up your system. You're just telling Windows it's there. And as long as you don't overwrite a file, you can place a dll or ocx in your system32 or syswow64 folder. You should always look to see if it's there before doing anything. If it's there, good, just register the file using the "regsvr32" command. If it's not, find someone reliable who has the necessary file and ask for a copy. Then place and register the file.

Thank for the heads up on the wmp.dll file Iurii.

Well, this was a great puzzle guys! Thanks for the fun! And now, back to lurking and searching for a new puzzle to solve smile

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029890
08/28/15 07:12 AM
08/28/15 07:12 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
WinSxS is not an actual folder, I think it contains not actual files but links to them (i.e. ghosts of your old files) smile

fgvub, it seems you are lucky to have no games that require WMP! By messing I meant uninstalling WMP - all those dlls are already registered.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029938
08/28/15 11:04 AM
08/28/15 11:04 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
According to Microsoft, WinSxS is a the "Windows component store directory" and the contents are used during operations such as Windows Update. According to Computerhope, WinSxS stores different versions of dll and system files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2795190
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/winsxs.htm

I would guess that the contents of WinSxS are used when you choose to revert to a previous driver in Device Manager.

So the problem with the sound in Darryl Creed may have to do with newer versions of Windows using a different version of a dll file that is not compatible with the game.

However my knowledge of Windows is not extensive enough that I'd be comfortable registering files manually, and I'd sooner run the game inside a virtual machine with Windows XP installed.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1029995
08/28/15 05:40 PM
08/28/15 05:40 PM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

Yup, just a great big storage bin. So if I ever decide to use WMP, I can just go and check the box lol How annoying was it on Windows 98 when you had to whip out the disk every time you wanted to install a driver or component? Ugh!

I was more surprised by the number of listings. 10? Wow! I expected 2 or 3 but not 10!

And I can completely understand not wanting to mess with your every day system. If I have to mess with system files or the registry (and I'm not sure what will happen), I always try to do it virtual first. If I can do it there safely then I can do it on my own system. Love VirtualPc and VirtualBox. I can blow up Windows all I want when searching for an answer (which is what I did last night... fun times!) smile

Yes, I was that child who took everything apart to see how it worked (my poor mother!)

I love puzzles, and a computer is just another puzzle to me. I'll probably be spending the next couple of months playing off and on with trying to get Darryl Creed to play nice with WMP and blowing up my Virtual Win 7 left and right, lol

Thanks for the chat and info guys! And again, for the puzzle to solve.

Happy gaming!

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1030001
08/28/15 06:12 PM
08/28/15 06:12 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: fgvub
Yup, just a great big storage bin. So if I ever decide to use WMP, I can just go and check the box lol How annoying was it on Windows 98 when you had to whip out the disk every time you wanted to install a driver or component? Ugh!

Did you ever try copying the Win98 folder from the CD to the hard drive and installing from there? (Yes you have to SYS the hard drive first and maybe load himem.sys in config, but there was a way to do it.) Whenever Windows needs a driver it tries to access where it was installed from, and the contents of the CD are right there in the folder.

Re: Carol Reed parody [Re: fgvub] #1030006
08/28/15 06:55 PM
08/28/15 06:55 PM
F
fgvub Offline OP
Junior Boomer
fgvub  Offline OP
Junior Boomer
F

Never tried playing with Win 98. Don't know why. It wasn't until I moved to XP that I began playing with Windows. I loved my MusicMatch 7.5 and it wouldn't work in XP. Oh the horror! I had to find a way to make it work! Been blowing up Windows since then.

I have installed Win 98 recently in Vbox for later use. I also have an old E-Machine with Win 98 still in working order. Might have to dig it out.

I think you just gave me something else to do lol

More fun times! More blowing up Windows! thumbsup

Wish I was more curious then. I was learning the basics and understanding the hardware components and how it all fit together. XP shifted my focus to software.

Thanks for the idea! I'll have to do some research.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 256 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users