GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Can't load saved games in Roonsehv #1030415
09/01/15 12:28 AM
09/01/15 12:28 AM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Playing Roonsehv, I can save games in one of three spaces. My problem is that after I've quit playing, when I restart my game and I choose "load" in the menu, I can't load my saved game, which means that I have to start from the beginning again, Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Sandy

BTW, I'm running WIN XP on my computer. The game itself is working fine, despite the fact that I can't load my saved games.

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1030474
09/01/15 11:11 AM
09/01/15 11:11 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If you've installed to C:\Program Files, uninstall the game and try installing to somewhere else that isn't "protected," like the My Documents folder.

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1030501
09/01/15 04:13 PM
09/01/15 04:13 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

I can't get this game to play on my WinXP system. I did install the redistributables from the game's directory but something is still missing. What I can find on the Internet suggests that some version of Visual Basic must also be installed.

What do you have on your system Sanford?

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: Jenny100] #1030503
09/01/15 04:16 PM
09/01/15 04:16 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Thanks Jenny. I'll give that a try and let you know how I Have made out.
Right now the game is installed in C:\UDK, which is what is suggested by the developer.
Sandy

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1030510
09/01/15 04:45 PM
09/01/15 04:45 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Sanford,
I guess you could also try compatibility mode -- Try Windows 2000 compatibility first (Win2000 compatibility worked for me with some Big Fish games on my XP computer, even though the games were made for XP and later).

If what Robert Gault says is true, that's not the problem though.

At http://roonsehv.blogspot.com/
The game's developer says
Quote:
Remember to update your direct-X 9.0c and Visual Basic 2010

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1030552
09/01/15 10:49 PM
09/01/15 10:49 PM
C
Collector Offline
Settled Boomer
Collector  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

Sanford said that this was on an XP machine, so UAC (write permissions under systems folders) would not be an issue. That fact that they want users to install in C:\UDK means that it does write saves to its own folder, which would break with later Windows with UAC if installed in a system folder, depending on the extension they have given the save files. The developers are also suggesting that users also update their direct-X 9.0c and VB runtime. Given that and the fact that it does not write saves to the user's folder and without digging through their site further, it looks like this may be some kind of home brew engine done in VB.NET, so it might help to update your .NET framework, especially on XP.

Owner, author of The Sierra Help Pages
Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1030685
09/03/15 12:17 AM
09/03/15 12:17 AM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

There are more problems with Roonsehv. This was discussed at
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1019909/RoonSehv:_Neterra_-_Myst_Lover
and you can test your system for minimum requirements at
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=21447&game=Roonsehv

Apparently there is not enough memory on my WinXP system to run the game. The game requires d3dx11_43.dll which is not part of DirectX9.0c, the last version for WinXP. You can get that .dll off the Internet and place it in the game directory, but that was not enough for my system.
Installation of UE3Redist.exe distribution files (comes with the game) actually damaged my WinXP system requiring a Restore and about a full day of repair to get back to normal.

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: Robert Gault] #1030733
09/03/15 11:07 AM
09/03/15 11:07 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Robert Gault
There are more problems with Roonsehv. This was discussed at
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1019909/RoonSehv:_Neterra_-_Myst_Lover
and you can test your system for minimum requirements at
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=21447&game=Roonsehv

Apparently there is not enough memory on my WinXP system to run the game.

Game Debate lists 2GB of memory as the requirement.
Do you not have 2GB of memory or is 2 GB not actually enough?

Quote:
The game requires d3dx11_43.dll which is not part of DirectX9.0c, the last version for WinXP. You can get that .dll off the Internet and place it in the game directory, but that was not enough for my system.

Sir Dave mentions having problems on a 32-bit Windows 7 ***here*** and had to install Visual C++ and a DirectX Add-on package. I'm curious about the DirectX add-on package he used.

Also, isn't d3dx11_43.dll a DirectX 11 file? Wouldn't that mean the game is really only for Windows 7 and later since the latest version of DirectX for XP is DirectX 9.0c?

Quote:
Installation of UE3Redist.exe distribution files (comes with the game) actually damaged my WinXP system requiring a Restore and about a full day of repair to get back to normal.

That's terrible. What do you think the problem was?
Do you think the UE3Redist.exe was a version only meant for 64-bit Windows? or only for Windows 7 and later?

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1030775
09/03/15 05:00 PM
09/03/15 05:00 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

Jenny I'm not sure just what the problem was. I've no way to see just what is within the UE3Redist.exe file.
The strange thing is my system has two hard drives. One is configured as a dual boot drive (C:\) and I can select either Win98SE or WinXP SP3. Booting from the second drive (D:\) just gives WinXP SP3.
After the redistribution package was installed, I could not boot into WinXP from the dual boot drive; "HAL.DLL corrupt or missing" error. Booting from the second drive worked but as WinXP is installed only on the second drive, something weird must have happened. This behavior was reproducible.
Using a Restore point corrected the boot problem but as that was several days old, other files needed to be re-updated.
Just to make the above clearer, here is the boot.ini from drive1.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=0
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

Now boot.ini from drive0

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I just have 768Megs on my system. My Asus A7V8X-X can use up to 3 GB but I'm not sure if that is PC3200 or faster. I might just see if I can buy any memory locally and experiment. Probably could use a new computer but am not quite ready yet. smile

The above does not cover all the problems, just the worst. The game, far as I can tell, is supposed to run on a WinXP system even though the DX.dll seems to be from Win7 or more recent. I do have Visual C++ and some Microsoft.NET packages installed.

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: Robert Gault] #1030810
09/03/15 11:22 PM
09/03/15 11:22 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I just have 768Megs on my system. My Asus A7V8X-X can use up to 3 GB but I'm not sure if that is PC3200 or faster. I might just see if I can buy any memory locally and experiment. Probably could use a new computer but am not quite ready yet. smile

Of course adding more RAM could foul up Windows 98 since this is a dual boot.
The unofficial service pack is supposed to let you use more than 512MB with Win98, but there may be another limit at 2GB.

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1031002
09/05/15 09:38 AM
09/05/15 09:38 AM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

Well it was relatively cheap fun for a computer hobby. smile I bought two 1GB sticks DDR memory and installed them. WinXP would boot but Win98SE would not. In fact the computer turned itself off trying to boot Win98SE.
I found an version of the unofficial service pack and it almost made it possible to reliably boot Win98SE with 1GB memory. I'm not finished messing with booting Win98SE with RAM over 768MB.

However ... the added memory did not help at all with Roonsehv v2. Rechecking the requirements indicated that a Geforce 7600 GS video card is not adequate. I'm sure that the first time I checked this it was listed a adequate.
I don't know if the first version of Roonsehv might run on my system and Sanford has not said which version of Roonsehv he is using.

I also installed Visual Studio 2010 as parts of that have been mentioned in context with Roonsehv and that did not help.

Roonsehv quits with "Built with UDK has encountered a problem and needs to close." What a useless error report!

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: Robert Gault] #1031011
09/05/15 10:37 AM
09/05/15 10:37 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Well it was relatively cheap fun for a computer hobby. smile I bought two 1GB sticks DDR memory and installed them. WinXP would boot but Win98SE would not. In fact the computer turned itself off trying to boot Win98SE.
I found an version of the unofficial service pack and it almost made it possible to reliably boot Win98SE with 1GB memory. I'm not finished messing with booting Win98SE with RAM over 768MB.

The unofficial service pack also adds USB compatibility to Windows 98SE, which is useful if your computer has USB ports.

Is the computer stable in XP with the extra memory?
If not, I'd wonder about a hardware compatibility with the new RAM.

Quote:
... the added memory did not help at all with Roonsehv v2. Rechecking the requirements indicated that a Geforce 7600 GS video card is not adequate. I'm sure that the first time I checked this it was listed as adequate. I don't know if the first version of Roonsehv might run on my system and Sanford has not said which version of Roonsehv he is using.

I don't know if the older version is available anymore.
All the links I've found are for version 2.

Did the older version of RoonSehv use a previous version of the UE3 game engine?

I think Sanford's computer has higher specs than yours.
He mentioned ***here*** that his XP computer had a Geforce GT 430, so unless he downgraded, his video card meets the Roonsehv requirements.

Quote:
Roonsehv quits with "Built with UDK has encountered a problem and needs to close." What a useless error report!

Typical error message.

You "might" get it running with a new video card, but I'd be afraid of losing backward compatibility with a new card on a computer with Windows 98.

Re: Can't load saved games in Roonsehv [Re: sanford] #1031088
09/05/15 10:41 PM
09/05/15 10:41 PM
C
Collector Offline
Settled Boomer
Collector  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

Win95 OSR2.5 introduced USB, but at that point it was fairly useless. Win98 already had USB support natively. The RAM limit for 98 was technically limit was 2GB, but in practice the real limit was just 512MB. Anything more was likely to cause boot and other issues. It was not really a problem as by the time that 512MB became common XP was the dominate OS with its 4GB limit.

If it wants runtimes for Visual Basic 2010 that means it is .NET, so an update of your .NET framework may be in order, however if this game wants d3dx11_43.dll it most likely needs to have Vista or higher. If this is the case it might be time to set the dino aside and use a more modern PC for this one.

Owner, author of The Sierra Help Pages
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 278 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users