GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition #1031105
09/06/15 01:34 AM
09/06/15 01:34 AM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

What do other gamers think of the two different formats usually offered for each casual game being sold at Big Fish? There is a significant difference in price (about $7 for the Standard game and $13 or more for the CE version), so this is worth thinking about. In most cases, there is some Bonus Game play included with the CE (sometimes a good bit of extra time; other times, not - you don't know in advance) and maybe a Strategy Guide. Do many gamers think that makes the CE version worth double the price? Or do more gamers go with the less expensive, standard version of the game? (You do get some artwork and maybe a soundtrack, but does anyone care about those?) I'm just curious.

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031113
09/06/15 06:05 AM
09/06/15 06:05 AM
MA
jboliver Offline
Settled Boomer
jboliver  Offline
Settled Boomer

MA
My personal thoughts on this:

When CEs first started coming out,they were few and far between and they seemed to have more than the SE of the game. A little more worth it back then. Now that two a week are pushed out, they don't seem to be worth the extra price. The only extras that matter to me are achievements, extra game play and the strategy guide. If a CE has excellent reviews, worthwhile extra game play and a decent list of achievements, I will probably buy the game during a half price or BOGO sale. Never full price anymore. That can be tough when a new game from a series that I love comes out, but so far I've been able to stand strong.

To boil it down, I don't think they are worth it now because they are too "mass produced". Once in a while you get a diamond in the rough but not often enough.

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031123
09/06/15 07:30 AM
09/06/15 07:30 AM
Central Islip NY
thracia Offline
Addicted Boomer
thracia  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Central Islip NY
Just adding my 2 cents. I usually end up buying the CE for the convenience of the SG. I always play through the bonus content, but really don't use any of the other features(music, screen savers, etc). At one time they tried to offer a Deluxe Edition, which did not have the bonus content, but did include the SG. It was about $10.00. I really liked that idea, but guess it wasn't that popular.

thracia

~Didi~
There will come a point in your life, when you realize what really matters, what never did, and what always will.
Unknown
Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: thracia] #1031150
09/06/15 10:39 AM
09/06/15 10:39 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Sometimes the CE version is worth the extra price and sometimes it's not (if the CE has a particularly good bonus chapter that fills out the story, for instance, and/or adds enjoyable extra activity to the gameplay).

The difference in price between the two is kind of a nonissue at this point (at least it is to me) because it is rare to go a week or more now, after a new CE has been released, where you can't pick it up at some point for approximately $1.50 more than the price of an SE (and sometimes less than that), what with all of the constant sales. What used to be a big decision (CE versus SE) is no longer the tough choice that it once was. If you take advantage of the sales, the difference in price now is quite modest.

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: jboliver] #1031168
09/06/15 01:34 PM
09/06/15 01:34 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Helpful responses, thanks! After buying and playing several hundred games, I'm coming around to the point of view that the Standard game is more worth its cost than the CE. I am not interested in screensaver art, music files and all the rest of the "Extras." The only thing that matters to me is how good (and long) the Bonus Game was. So, if I am going to pay twice as much for the CE version, the Bonus Game has to be of similar caliber as the game in order for me to feel I got my money's worth.

After finding so many of the Bonus Games to be disappointing or short, I think I am going back to buying the Standard version. If someone reviews a game and remarks on the quality of the Bonus Game, I'll buy the CE version. However, "Reviews" of casual games are few and far between, and seldom that specific when they do occur.

You are right, Marion, that the periodic sales help with the cost of buying games, but the sales usually apply to the Standard version as well as the CE. Given that, you can buy far more games (period) if you buy the lesser-priced version ~ whether it is on sale or not. I guess it is up to each gamer to weigh all these parameters.

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031169
09/06/15 01:46 PM
09/06/15 01:46 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Reenie
You are right, Marion, that the periodic sales help with the cost of buying games, but the sales usually apply to the Standard version as well as the CE. Given that, you can buy far more games (period) if you buy the lesser-priced version ~ whether it is on sale or not. I guess it is up to each gamer to weigh all these parameters.

That's a very good point, Reenie. wave

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Marian] #1031177
09/06/15 03:02 PM
09/06/15 03:02 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I usually go for the CE because of the sheer convenience of having a walkthrough immediately to hand !!
[ I tend to play Casuals when I don't want to have to "think" too much laugh ]

And as I tend to buy my Casuals from Big Fish when they are holding a "sale" I don't find them over expensive thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Mad] #1031185
09/06/15 03:26 PM
09/06/15 03:26 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Mad
I tend to play Casuals when I don't want to have to "think" too much laugh ]

Me too - which is more often than I care to admit. lol

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Marian] #1031187
09/06/15 03:31 PM
09/06/15 03:31 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I'm sayin' nothin' !!!! laugh

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031192
09/06/15 04:19 PM
09/06/15 04:19 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I'm with both of you Mad and Marian on that "think" thing!

I usually wait for the 65% off sales (I'm not a member of BF) and get the CE if there is one. I like the extra play and the guide but don't really use the rest of the extras. I'd rather use the guide than "skip" a puzzle that I'm having a problem with. At least I feel I'm playing the game that way, though I prefer not to need it. Not sure if I think double the money is worth it or not but since I spend it, it must be - for now anyway.

Last edited by oldbroad; 09/06/15 04:29 PM.
Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031212
09/06/15 07:05 PM
09/06/15 07:05 PM
Rockland, Ontario, Canada
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Rockland, Ontario, Canada
Speaking of sales: It's a buy one get one free week-end. So time to stock up on the games you wanted to buy.

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Starcom] #1031214
09/06/15 07:08 PM
09/06/15 07:08 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, an excellent time to stock up. thumbsup

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031251
09/07/15 03:28 AM
09/07/15 03:28 AM
Wales
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer
meryl  Offline
Settled Boomer

Wales
I don't think I've ever purchased a CE.

Most of the extras such as wallpaper, soundtrack, SG, achievements etc don't interest me. I've often wondered about the bonus chapter. There are a very few casual games (Dire Grove?) where I have wished it wouldn't end and could play it forever. Mostly I get bored toward the end and have to discipline myself to finish the game. I think this is because of the hidden object searches which I hate. A longer game therefore would rarely be something I'd want.

But I'm very glad they do release CEs as many gamers really like them. We are all different.

I didn't have internet access for several months and coming back to see what BFG has to offer I'm amazed at the number of sales there are. There's rarely any need to pay full price for anything so, as you say, CE devotees may indulge themselves without breaking the bank!

Does anyone know why there are so many sales? Policy change or more competition; market shrinkage?

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031255
09/07/15 04:24 AM
09/07/15 04:24 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I go months without playing any CGs so end up accumulating credits as a BF member
so don't mind using them for the CE version of a game. I'm not interested in all of the extras but do like the inclusion of the SG & a bonus chapter....although I do feel annoyed if the bonus chapter is needed to make sense of the story as I do think if you choose to buy the SE version the game should conclude to satisfaction!

Last edited by chrissie; 09/07/15 04:24 AM.
Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Marian] #1031311
09/07/15 12:02 PM
09/07/15 12:02 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Marian, I did buy two games, both Standard versions, although I played the CE trial game for both. The only difference I can see now that I am playing the Standard one is that there are no "Morphing Objects" to look for in each scene. But that stuff always felt like padding; when I do play these games, I am not playing for the HOG aspect, but for the mini-games and puzzles. As long as the Standard version does not end up serving me a truncated version of the story line that you would need the Bonus Game to finish coherently, I am content. As others have said, we can pick what we want and pay for it accordingly.

Re: Standard Game vs. Collector's Edition [Re: Reenie] #1031314
09/07/15 12:13 PM
09/07/15 12:13 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
That all sounds very sensible, Reenie. yes

Chrissie, I agree that the main game should have closure and not need the bonus game to complete the storyline.

Meryl, with all these discounts on games, I can only think that they more than make up for it, profit wise, by the increased number of games sold.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users