GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage
Topic Options
#1034897 - Today at 04:24 PM Game Purchases
sureshot Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: New Jersey Shore
Hi all ! I need to vent this...

In looking for some games to stock up on, I found 3 games I would like to own and play. They are The Perils of Man, Ana's Quest, and Armikrog.

I saw them on Gamer's Gate, a site I used quite often and trusted. The site has a large inventory and these games are all available.

Here is my issue and problem. I started off with one game - The Perils of Man - very cheap at $9.00 but money isn't the issue. My issue is I thought I was buying this game as I did with many games in the past. I got my confirmation and was told to go to MY Library and download the game - as usual.

Well the games is listed in My Library and seems to available BUT ONLY the STEAM Key is there - NO GAME DOWNLOAD !

I looked on the Gamer's Gate Site - and sure enough - if you look deeper into the Game details - it says 3rd Party Software Required ! This means STEAM !

I don't use STEAM, I don't support it, and I would never ever install it on my system - I had too many bad experiences with it so I got rid of it.

Why would I purposely avoid STEAM and go to a site to get a game only to find out that Gamer's Gate site will only sell you STEAM KEY so you have to use STEAM to play your game! Therefore - you Don't get to download the game you purchased and are corned into using STEAM.

Good thing I only bought one $9.00 game from Gamer's Gate.

I would rather pass on these games until another site, for example, offers them.

I really hope this trend that forces you to download and install software you DON'T want ( Steam ) goes AWAY.

I don't mind loosing the ten bucks!

Very mad

Edited by sureshot (Today at 04:31 PM)
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage!

#1034900 - Today at 04:30 PM Re: EAM [Re: sureshot]
Marian Online   content
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I don't blame you for needing to vent. It's disconcerting to go to Gamersgate (or elsewhere) and then find out after having purchased a game that it is in effect a redirect to Steam.

Lots of folks like Steam and have no problems with it, but for those who don't, it can make getting certain games problematic. I wish that GOG always got the new games that are released on Steam, but unfortunately this is not always the case.

#1034906 - Today at 04:51 PM Re: EAM [Re: sureshot]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
sureshot, I can understand your frustration, but it is clearly marked on the download of the game that it has DRM and it requires Steamworks to run. There are many download portals that do this, even Amazon for select titles. You have to check it out before purchase anywhere if you are not interested in Steam versions. Many games are only available that way.

Ana wave
Don't feed the Trolls

#1034910 - Today at 04:59 PM Re: EAM [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Marian Online   content
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Ana is right. Just make sure you read all the info before buying.

#1034919 - Today at 06:53 PM Re: EAM [Re: sureshot]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
Armikrog is on GOG. I know that's not the issue, just saying.

Edited by oldbroad (Today at 06:58 PM)

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
8 registered (shroeder, venus, Space Quest Fan, Pandora, Mikael, soot, Rowan, Pokey), 62 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Newest Members
bebek, MatchaZen491, Erik765, Lenora66, Geosed
8731 Registered Users