GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Grim Fandango #103867
07/11/04 12:01 AM
07/11/04 12:01 AM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
Have just left the Morgue and went to the bar in the Blue Casket and then to Manny's office to get a letter and a book. For the life of me cannot find either one. Have traveled around that room so much am dizzy and have gotten stuck playing the gamboling game to the point I have a save just before Manny gets stuck so I can resume looking for letter and book. Where are they? eek

Don't pass old people by - in reality they are just young people who have been around a long time.
Re: Grim Fandango #103868
07/11/04 12:16 AM
07/11/04 12:16 AM
Oregon
Rice burner Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rice burner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oregon
I'm not sure I have you at the right place, but I don't think you are supposed to pick up a paper. Just a pen...
You might try checking another WT to see if there is a difference.
Kay

EDIT: Ok, I think I know where you are now. The letter and the book should be in your inventory, aka Manny's jacket. Take a look and see if you have it in inventory.

Its one of those doors that needs a thingy thing.
Re: Grim Fandango #103869
07/11/04 12:24 AM
07/11/04 12:24 AM
Northwestern New Mexico, USA
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Lilac, I'm not sure exactly where you are, but in addition to the two walkthroughs here at GameBoomers, you can find three more at The Spoiler Centre and one at Bert Jamin's site .

Maybe one of them will answer your question--if not, give us a little more information as to where you are and what you've already done...

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: Grim Fandango #103870
07/11/04 05:23 AM
07/11/04 05:23 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
If you are having trouble accessing inventory easily, try hitting the "I" key -- then you can scroll quickly through the items using the right and left arrow keys.

Re: Grim Fandango #103871
07/11/04 11:14 AM
07/11/04 11:14 AM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Just to expand on Becky's advice--when you open the inventory, the last item you looked at will be the one that comes up, so if you know you're going to need something, cycle through ahead of time until you get to what you are going to need. That way it will be right there when you open the inventory...

Re: Grim Fandango #103872
07/11/04 01:27 PM
07/11/04 01:27 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
I was stuck at the hut where you were supposed to dope Naranja's drink. I used a saved file to get by this and when I opened the saved file I was in the morgue. I checked several WTs and the saved game seems to have worked well. I did everything in the morgue, got Naranja reported dead and then re the WTs was supposed to go to the Blue Casket bar and show the letter on the three men at the back of the bar. WT then says - oh you forgot the letter - go to Manny's office pick up letter and a book on the table. Will check more WTs but the ones I have all say the same thing. Even checked the Universal Hint system but seemed to get to more info. And I have gone through all Manny has in inventory but no letter and no book. I believe the save has not left something out.

Don't pass old people by - in reality they are just young people who have been around a long time.
Re: Grim Fandango #103873
07/11/04 01:34 PM
07/11/04 01:34 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
PS - The WTs are mentioning Salvador as the person who gave the letter to Manny and then it supposedly appears in Manny's office. So maybe in this save I have used, the person forgot to get the paper from Salvador. Anyone know who and where Salavor is? May need to back track and see if I can pick up that letter. So far have not found the name Salvador in any WT.

Re: Grim Fandango #103874
07/11/04 03:01 PM
07/11/04 03:01 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Lilac, as I said before, it's been a long time since I played GF, but wasn't Salvador the guy who was the leader of the rebels? You got the pigeon eggs for him so he could establish a system for sending messages, remember....

Re: Grim Fandango #103875
07/11/04 06:43 PM
07/11/04 06:43 PM
Oregon
Rice burner Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rice burner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oregon
You're right Jenny. Sal is the leader of the rebels and Manny meets him in the first part of the game before he goes off to any other part of the world.
Kay

Re: Grim Fandango #103877
07/13/04 01:30 PM
07/13/04 01:30 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
Gosh when I left off GF - I had done nothing around Salvador. I was stuck on getting Naranja to drink that soda so he would go to sleep so I could something from him. Then when I resumed GF game I used the last save sent me to get me by Naranja bit and I was thrown into the morgue where Manny gets to put dog tags on Naranja and he then is declared dead. All of this went well until the WT then said go to Manny's office for that letter and book.

So since the letter is NOT there then that save I used must have not contacted Salvador. I have yet to hear about him, the pigeon eggs etc. Maybe I need to backtrack a bit into my saved games sent me and see if I can do better about being positioned just after the Naranja bit where he drinks the spiked soda.

Too bad I had to redo my 98 PC because though I saved all my games and those sent me, did not keep track of what was what and so here I am wondering where in the heck I am at:)

Re: Grim Fandango #103878
07/13/04 02:06 PM
07/13/04 02:06 PM
Oregon
Rice burner Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rice burner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oregon
DL, my thought is that since you missed the part with Salvador which is in the first part of the game, maybe you should start over from the beginning. I'm not sure you can go back to that place from where you are now. Sorry you have had so much trouble but keep us in the loop.
Kay

Re: Grim Fandango #103879
07/13/04 03:26 PM
07/13/04 03:26 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Lilac, I'm a little confused here, because I don't see how you could have gotten out of year one without doing the stuff with Sal. Maybe you should read over one of the walkthroughs and see if it doesn't bring back some memories, because I don't think the game would let you advance to the second year without having done these things...

Re: Grim Fandango #103880
07/14/04 12:34 AM
07/14/04 12:34 AM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
You are so right Jenny. Did just that and it did bring back the memory of Sal etc. So now what I have done is to install GR fresh on my XP and then used MY saved games as starter places so that using someone else's saved game will not throw me off. Was successful and played through getting the metal detector, going to the morgue and getting Naranja declared dead! So now I am elated - rushed up to Manny's office because I thought for sure the paper and book would be there - imagine my disappointment when it is just as bare as before when I was using others' saved games. So wonder what I have done wrong or missed? Like you do not believe I would be in year two if I had not gotten that letter etc. So am totally confounded now. Have to sleep on it and see what pops up in my tiny befuddled brain:)

Re: Grim Fandango #103881
07/14/04 01:06 AM
07/14/04 01:06 AM
Oregon
Rice burner Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rice burner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oregon
DL, now that you have the game setup the way you want it, did you think to check the inventory in Manny's jacket? Click on 'I' and go through the inventory to see if the letter is there. You may have to float the cursor over the items to see what they are. It you have been through the part with Sal then the letter should be in Manny's jacket.
Kay

Re: Grim Fandango #103882
07/14/04 11:30 AM
07/14/04 11:30 AM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
Have done that until I am blue in the face - so unless I do not recognize the letter, it is not there. How can one float the cursor over the items when the cursor is not used in this game? Is there another way to tell me what the items are? A certain key perhaps? The WTs say the letter is supposed to be on the desk and not in the inventory. May have to go waaaaaaay back in my saved games into year 1 to see if I can find that confounded letter:) Unless someone else has some great ideas? smile

Re: Grim Fandango #103883
07/14/04 01:07 PM
07/14/04 01:07 PM
Texas
Melia Offline
Addicted Boomer
Melia  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Texas
The letters from Salvador are in Manny's office on the table against the back wall. When you pick them up, you hear Salvador's voice reading the letters.

The book is in the Blue Casket. You get it from the beatnik-types at the table after you show them Manny's letters. They're happy to let you have it.

(I hope I'm in the same place in the game as you.)

The four food groups: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate and HOT chocolate.
Re: Grim Fandango #103884
07/14/04 11:18 PM
07/14/04 11:18 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
Ah ha Melia - will have to find a way to get to that table then. So far have not been able to get near it for some reason. And will get book elsewhere then. I take it I am in the right place for the office of Manny - up the stairs in the Calavara Cafe right? Or is there a room downstairs where all the tables and piano are? And thanks soooo very much for the tip.

Re: Grim Fandango #103886
07/17/04 10:09 PM
07/17/04 10:09 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
Still can't get to that table. Sooooooo went on my XP and replayed the game all the way up to where Manny met with Salvador, did the pigeon egg business and teeth mold thing but there was nothing about a paper from Salvador. So do not thnk I missed anything after all. Soooo back to the 98 and trying to get to that table. What is the secret or what am I missing. When I try to walk Manny over there he turns around and comes back. Have tried from several angles but no go so far:(

Re: Grim Fandango #103887
07/17/04 10:18 PM
07/17/04 10:18 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Lilac, I just checked a little more on the letter from Salvatore. It comes right at the very beginning of year 2:

"· You now find yourself standing on a balcony overlooking the night line of Rubacava.Lupe, the coat check girl, comes out and tells you there is someone inside you might like to see.
· Go inside.
· There is a table with a note on it.
· Pick it up. It’s from Sal."

So you are doing fine with your W98 game and that's also how you were able to get into year two--I thought you got it in year one, but I was obviously mistaken...

Re: Grim Fandango #103888
07/17/04 11:03 PM
07/17/04 11:03 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
That rings a bell. Have gone back to the 98 now and am playing where I left off. Have tried using a saved game but for some reason they are not working - keeping throwing me back to the beginning of the game despite my renumbering them. How frustrating.

Tryng to see if I can get back to just after I got into year two but so far no go - never had trouble with using saved games before so not sure where I am messing up now. Have saved games up the boocoo but every time I try to use one, it does not come up as a saved game - very strange. But still plugging away.

Could go back to XP and continue that game but there are two spots there I could never get around and had used saved games before. So since I am having problems using saved games on 98 not sure if the problem will persist on XP. Grrrrrrrrrrr:)

Re: Grim Fandango #103890
07/17/04 11:24 PM
07/17/04 11:24 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Oh good, Lilac--Kay can probably sort you out!

And that section that I quoted for you was the very first thing that happened in year two...

Re: Grim Fandango #103891
07/18/04 01:35 AM
07/18/04 01:35 AM
Oregon
Rice burner Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rice burner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oregon
Ok, DL, I played where Manny picked up the letter on the table in his office. It looks like a grocery store receipt. I played on to get back closer to where you are but finally stopped just after Manny talks to Membrillo at the morgue. He needs to know who the two dead people are on the tables. Manny goes back to the High Rollers lounge and he is going to talk to Nick about needing a lawyer. I stopped there and I'm going to send you a save. I played this on XP so I hope it works for you.
Kay

Re: Grim Fandango #103892
07/18/04 11:46 AM
07/18/04 11:46 AM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
I take it the email I just received for the save is from you despite the differences in names. Also noted that you sent the gsv file as well as the log file. Maybe that is where I am going wrong in using saves - need to put both into the GF folder?

Also will try on my own going back to High Roller lounge and talking with Nick for another ID for the second person in the morgue as I understand your message.

By hook or crook I will get through this game on either xp or win98:) Certainly has been a challenge.

Re: Grim Fandango #103893
07/18/04 12:01 PM
07/18/04 12:01 PM
Oregon
Rice burner Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rice burner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oregon
Yes DL, the save is from me. If you continue without my save take a look in Manny's inventory and see if you have something that looks like a grocery store receipt. If so, that is the letter from Sal. I didn't realize that until I played it last night. If you do use my save just start from the instructions in my email and follow MaGs WT.
Kay

Re: Grim Fandango #103894
07/18/04 03:51 PM
07/18/04 03:51 PM
California
desertlilac Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
desertlilac  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

California
I tried your save but it threw me into a sewer and I became totally lost as the WTs I am following do not mention this nor have I found it yet anywhere. Will look at MaGs WT.

Another friend sent me a save and I finally got that letter but like you it looks like a grocery receipt. Now I have had that all along and tried to use it once on the beatniks but it did nothing then do threw me off completely Also the saved from my other friend was good in that I could proceed and us the letter BUT he had NOTHING in his inventory!!! Don't understand how he proceeded in the game!!!! When I started to go using his saved game I could do nothing because had nothing in inventory. Very weird. So am going way back to where I first had that strange letter and see if I can get it to be used on the beatniks. Will keep on keepin' on smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 278 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users