GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Desktop messed up #1040269
11/09/15 05:12 PM
11/09/15 05:12 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I bought 2 games from Shiny Loot today and am regretting it now. When I went into one of them and came out it left my screen with HUGE icons on it. I tried right clicking the desktop but don't see anything there to help me. I'm sure I read something about this recently but am panicking.

Please help!

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040271
11/09/15 05:22 PM
11/09/15 05:22 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
On my Windows 7 computer:

Right click anywhere on the desktop.

Click on the View option - then you will see a place where you can choose large, medium or small icons.

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040274
11/09/15 05:45 PM
11/09/15 05:45 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Marian,

It wasn't that. It was just the whole thing. When I looked at it I thought it showed the correct resolution but as I said, I was panicking. I ended up restarting my computer and noticed that the desktop background picture looked normal again but the icons were still huge. I double checked the resolution again and saw that it was not right. When I changed that it improved but I still had to restart the computer again before it looked right, except all my icons are all over the place and need to be rearranged again. I think I may not play these 2 games if I have to go through this each time. I don't think the first one is even installed correctly and have written to Shiny Loot about that one. All I had when I unzipped it was 9 rar files, no setup or exe file. I did something with the first one and it asked me about installing. I said yes but it went really fast like it didn't really do anything. When I opened it to see. The game did not open, there was some error message or some message but I didn't pay attention to it because that was when everything went huge and I panicked.

These are the 2 Versailles games. Anybody ever play them and have this problem?

Thanks!

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040277
11/09/15 06:15 PM
11/09/15 06:15 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yes, was going to say it's the desktop resolution. I have games that now and then don't revert back to the native resolution when you exit.

The .rar files are also zipped files. Do you have to unzip each one individually? This sounds really strange. What does Shiny Loot say about it?

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040279
11/09/15 07:04 PM
11/09/15 07:04 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I haven't heard from Shiny Loot yet. Like I said, I did something with the first .rar file (I double clicked on it) and there was a setup/exe file there which I double clicked but I don't think it actually installed. I tried double clicking the other 8 .rar files which only brought up some lib folder which also appeared with the 1st .rar file.

I'm hesitant to try to open the game again to see what it said/says.

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040282
11/09/15 07:35 PM
11/09/15 07:35 PM
Rockland, Ontario, Canada
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Rockland, Ontario, Canada
If I understand right, you simply opened the rar file and you double clicked on the Setup.exe file? You have to "Extract all the files to an empty directory or folder i.e. an empty Temp folder, then you have to do this with all the rar files and send them to the same directory or folder, once done, then you double click on the setup.exe file and it should install properly.

Again, I apologize in advance if I mis-read your statement.

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040283
11/09/15 07:39 PM
11/09/15 07:39 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's what I thought too, Starcom - that if these are .rar files, they must be unzipped/extracted individually. Sure seems like a complicated way to do things though.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040319
11/09/15 11:45 PM
11/09/15 11:45 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Sorry. The download was a zipped folder. When I extracted the files there were 9 rar files titled Athanor.part01 etc. I double clicked the first one which brought up 4 files, one of which was a setup file. The other 8 only have lib file in them. And now after playing around with them I have files and more files I don't know what to do with. I think delete them all and redownload maybe?

I'm confused I guess. The 2nd game unzipped and installed without a problem.

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040324
11/10/15 01:00 AM
11/10/15 01:00 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
These are the instructions on the ShinyLoot website:
Originally Posted By: ShinyLoot
If you are unfamiliar with multi-part RAR files we have written the below step by step guide to help ensure that your game will be installed and played smoothly.

1. You will need a program that can unpackage RAR files. Although we cannot specifically endorse any such programs, WinRAR and 7zip are popular, free options.

2. Once you download the .rar files it is very important that you make sure the size of downloaded files match the size listed in the description. If your file downloads are incomplete, you will receive corrupt file or installation errors.

3. Use your RAR unpackaging software to open the .rar file that says Part 1. Extract this file to your preferred directory. Do not extract any other numbered parts. Part 1 acts as a "master" file and extracts all other parts simultaneously.

4. If there is a setup or installation file you can run that now. This may not always be the case. Some multi-part RAR files require no installation.

5. Enjoy your game. You deserve it!

http://www.shinyloot.com/home/load_view/home/rar_instructions

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I double clicked the first one which brought up 4 files, one of which was a setup file.

Assuming you're talking about the Versailles Mysteries: Oscar and the Athanor game, extracting the first .rar file should have automatically extracted the other .rar files into an Athanor folder. The Athanor folder should contain two files (Athanor_setup.exe and autorun.inf) and two folders (Lib and Mov). Lib has 31 files inside (mostly.cxt files) and Mov has two folders (EN and FR) and a movie_pulsanim.mov file inside. I assume running the setup installs the game. If you're only getting the files without retaining the folder structure, the game may not work correctly. Maybe try 7zip instead of whatever you're using to extract rar files.

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040325
11/10/15 01:35 AM
11/10/15 01:35 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thank you Jenny for finding this information for me and posting it here. I will give it another go. I am using 7zip.

Edit: I tried running the game again to see what happened and it had some error where it couldn't find something so I uninstalled it, deleted the folder with the rar files and started over from the download. Extracted the files, extracted from rar01 file and installed. I did not start playing the game but it seems to have installed correctly this time.

Thank you again for researching the info for me Jenny. You are a true GEM!!

Last edited by oldbroad; 11/10/15 01:50 AM.
Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1040418
11/10/15 03:15 PM
11/10/15 03:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I hope the game works for you this time.
I assume that ShinyLoot uses rar files to keep the size of the downloads at a minimum. Why they don't include an exe with the ability to extract the game from the rar files is a mystery to me though. It seems odd to require additional 3rd party software to install a game, even if it's free like 7zip.

Re: Desktop messed up [Re: oldbroad] #1041262
11/15/15 05:55 PM
11/15/15 05:55 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Just a follow up. I still haven't actually started the game but I did get a reply from Shiny Loot today, apologizing for the delay and stating that a new download has been made available with a set up file. So, I should be covered!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (GreyFuss), 483 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users