GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1050067 - 01/15/16 05:09 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: Jenny100]
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Is this only for recent games?
I would have expected more votes for Drawn.
I'll have to think about what recent casual games I've enjoyed.

i played and liked the drawn games, but found them too short. that is why they aren't on my list.

#1050070 - 01/15/16 05:30 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: 8dognight
I played Drawn around the time it was released and thought it was okay as an adventure game but far better than most other casuals. In only a few years many casual games have surpassed Drawn so I for one am not surprised that Drawn isn't way up there. It's just not the casual equivalent of, for example, the Gabriel Knight games.

Drawn is one of few casual games that I actually remember -- one of few I replay. So many casual games are similar to one another, and usually I can't remember much at all about a casual game, even as little as a day after I finish it.

Newer games may have more options, like custom difficulty, but the options don't work 100%. I've yet to see one that truly got rid of the so-called "helpful" (actually annoying) messages blocking my view of the screen, even if the option to disable them is there. Not only do they block the screen, but it's insulting -- like the game is calling you a moron. Imagine exploring a haunted house in real life and having these damb boxes pop up in your face: "Oooo!! You found a corkscrew!!" "You found a pin !!" "You found a peanut !!"

A lot of the once-reliable series have become inconsistent in quality, sometimes due to change in developer. There has not been any gradual improvement for quite a while. For example, I've seen a lot of people saying Mystery Trackers: Four Aces is their favorite of the series, and it's certainly not the most recent -- it's over 3 years old. The most recent House of 1000 Doors game, Evil Inside, was a huge step down from the previous ones.

Also if you buy a Standard edition, you often find it has the same menu as the CE -- only with dead options or ads. For example, where the CE would have brought up a guide, you find clicking on "Guide" causes your web browser to open and display an ad to buy a guide. To me that just looks sloppy -- makes it look like you bought carelessly thrown-together junk, or paid money for some sort of trialware. And then there are the ads for Facebook and Twitter that have invaded the Menu Screens of so many Big Fish games. The only way to avoid that stuff is to buy an older game from before they started doing that.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

But back on the topic of favorite games ...

Most of the games in my list are older ones...

Big Secret of a Small Town
Bluebeard's Castle
Bluebeard's Castle: Son of the Heartless
Dark Hills of Cherai: The Regal Scepter
Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers
Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat
Dracula: Love Kills
Drawn 1: The Painted Tower
Drawn 2: Dark Flight
Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar
Margrave: Blacksmith's Daughter
Margrave: Curse of the Severed Heart
Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull
Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival
Mystery Case Files: Key to Ravenhearst
Sherlock Holmes: Hound of the Baskervilles

That's 16 games.
I have a couple of casual games I haven't played yet, and may play over the weekend.

List of series:

1. Dana Knightstone
2. Grim Tales -- the ones where you play as "Aunt Gray" saving her weird relatives who live (or used to live) in a castle

3. House of 1000 Doors
4. Mystery Trackers
5. Fantasy Mosaics -- especially from #4 onward (the ones where you change color while solving)

#1050077 - 01/15/16 06:26 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: Jenny100]
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer

I loved CHERAI! innovative, and i enjoyed the multi-player aspect.

#1050171 - 01/16/16 11:49 AM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: Reenie]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Reenie
I loved CHERAI! innovative, and i enjoyed the multi-player aspect.

It's definitely one of my favorites -- and a game that stands out from the rest.
Besides the multiple character aspect with Tara, Maya, and Rahul, the gameworld itself was unique.
I'd have liked to see more games in the series, maybe taking place in between the first "Dark Hills of Cherai" game and "The Regal Sceptre," or possibly a prequel to both.

#1050753 - 01/19/16 01:50 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: deep south
I would have pared down my list; however, I have been busy and did not see the post reminding me that I was limited to five series. Darn. That's okay. Next time.

#1050760 - 01/19/16 02:38 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
8dognight, It's not too late. Please cut them back to 5 so I can include them. thanks

#1050779 - 01/19/16 05:07 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer

List of Series

Dark Parables
Grim Tales
Mystery Case Files
Mystery Trackers
Other World

#1050795 - 01/19/16 06:44 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Sonic Boomer

I deleted your old series post. THanks, 8dognight!

#1050893 - 01/20/16 09:52 AM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer

2016 Game Addition to List:

Parallels Cross

If this addition is not allowed, that is fine. Someone mentioned that newer games were desirable.

#1050905 - 01/20/16 10:16 AM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Sonic Boomer

You had 17 before, so now you have 18 8dognight. You can add two more before the listing ends.

#1051062 - 01/21/16 05:07 AM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Taintedfury Offline
Shy Boomer

Loc: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
Hi Everyone,

I'm not much off the individuals but more of the series type.

Elixir of Immortality
The Fog

Series:
Awakening: Moonfell wood
Awakening: The Dreamless castle
Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom
Awakening: The Skyward Castle
Awakening: The Sunhook Spire

Brink of Consciousness Dorian Gray Syndrome

Empress of The Deep : The Darkest Secret
Empress of The Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale
Empress of The Deep 3: Legacy of The Phoenix

Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake
Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate
Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull
Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst
Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst

Mystery Tracker's: Black Isle
Mystery Tracker's: Rain cliff
Mystery Tracker's: Silent Hollow
Mystery Tracker's: The Four Aces
Mystery Tracker's: The Void

I've played many but these are most of my favorites.

Bye smile
Tainedfury

#1051089 - 01/21/16 09:10 AM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Sonic Boomer

Taintedfury, I deleted Scratches and Syberia from your lists since those are not casuals. Be sure and add them to the Adventure Game list we do later in the year!

#1051135 - 01/21/16 07:05 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: Marian]
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer

marian, i bought reflection: equilibrium on your recommendation. ce is terrific, long, with nice graphics, unusual hog scenes, and challenging mini-games. a great value. i will look at the others in this series now. thanks! (sorry, i'm one-armed for now and can't type capitals)

#1051140 - 01/21/16 07:32 PM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: Reenie]
Marian Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Try the demo of Reflections of Life: Dark Architect and see if you like it. wave

#1051190 - 01/22/16 08:22 AM Re: Vote for your Favorite Casual Games 2016 - Results posted! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Wales
I had at least 10 series that i have enjoyed and it was difficult to pick five only but here they are:-

Dana Knightsone Novels
Mystery Case Files
Puppetshow
The Fall Trilogy
Weird Park

The 20 individual games I top rate are :-

Azada
Death & Betrayal in Romania (Dana Knightsone)
Enlightenus
Fear for Sale: Mystery of McInroy Manor
Green Moon
Haunted Halls: Fears From Childhood
House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets
Mystery Case files: Madame Fate
Mystery Case files: Dire Grove
Mystery Case files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove
Mystery Trackers: The Void
Pahelika: Revelations
Puppetshow: Mystery of Joyville
Secrets of the Dragon Wheel
Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker
Shiver: Moonlit Grove
Stray Souls: Dollshouse Story
The Fall Trilogy (part 1)
True Fear: Forsaken Souls
Weird Park: Broken Tune

Edited by meryl (01/22/16 09:05 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
11 registered (Gimme, manxman, judith, Laurette, lexxy, gremlin, exalthim2, kazzmo, BrownEyedTigre, looney4labs), 119 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Pugwash, diane1, Meyershello, Motiko, satyafrog
8892 Registered Users