GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Game Controllers, Slow Reflexes, Zombies, and Fables #1070146
06/10/16 09:55 AM
06/10/16 09:55 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
I have never used a game controller. No, really. I didn't own a computer until 1984 when I was in my early thirties. It was called an Eagle, ran on DOS, and I used it as a very cool word processor. At the time, games held no appeal for me. I didn't become interested in adventure games until a year after Myst came out. I played on an Apple II and was walked through by a rather supercilious friend who had actually finished. To this day, I do not believe he figured it all out on his own. If anyone had offered me a controller or joystick, I would have declined the gift.

Now I think I need one.

Does a controller improve reaction times? My goal is not dying or getting beaten into blood-flecked mashed potatoes every 30 seconds or so in Wolf Among Us or every 2 to 3 minutes in Walking Dead. A few times are okay. While I vastly prefer games without virtual death on the basis of slow reflexes, I am missing out on some good ones.

This brings me to another question: What the dickens is Quick Time?

A slomo/geriatric option in the settings menu seems more appropriate; however, that apparently is regarded as beneath notice; beyond the pale; de trop; and just not the done thing. Nevertheless, I want a slomo geriatric setting. Not giving me one is a lot like producing a Kindle without the ability to set larger fonts, as if author and publisher gleefully decreed, "Sorry, you can't read Ready Player One because your eyesight isn't good enough for this book."

Will a controller help me respond more quickly?

Last edited by 8dognight; 06/10/16 09:56 AM.
Re: Game Controllers, Slow Reflexes, Zombies, and Fables [Re: 8dognight] #1070152
06/10/16 10:35 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

I moved you so that the experts can give you their learned opinions. wave

Re: Game Controllers, Slow Reflexes, Zombies, and Fables [Re: 8dognight] #1070153
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: 8dognight
Does a controller improve reaction times?

Your reaction times are what they are. However some games are designed to be played with a controller and the buttons may be more accessible and easier to hit in a hurry than keyboard keys. Controllers also have a little joystick, D-pad, or rocker button which may be easier to use than arrow keys on a keyboard.

Quote:
This brings me to another question: What the dickens is Quick Time?

Are you thinking of QTE (Quick Time Event}?
Essentially it's playing Simon as fast as possible.
While a cut scene is playing, the game throws a picture of a button push sequence on screen (blocking your view of the cut scene), and you have to respond as quickly as possible to mimic the button pushes that were indicated on screen. If you're too slow or hit the wrong keys or buttons, you fail the sequence and the cut scene shows something undesirable (or less desirable) than if you were fast enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_time_event

Quote:
A slomo/geriatric option in the settings menu seems more appropriate; however, that apparently is regarded as beneath notice; beyond the pale; de trop; and just not the done thing.

The problem there is that there wouldn't be much gameplay left without the QTE's.

Quote:
Will a controller help me respond more quickly?

A controller isn't magic, however the button arrangement may be more accessible. Try one out in a store if you're able to. You should get one that fits your hands, not too large or small, with buttons in easy reach.

There are some games where a controller may help because the game was developed primarily for console and designed for use with a game controller (gamepad), and is clumsy with keyboard and mouse.

Re: Game Controllers, Slow Reflexes, Zombies, and Fables [Re: 8dognight] #1070155
06/10/16 10:36 AM
06/10/16 10:36 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks Jenny!

Re: Game Controllers, Slow Reflexes, Zombies, and Fables [Re: 8dognight] #1070163
06/10/16 11:22 AM
06/10/16 11:22 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Yes, thanks, Jenny. Very helpful. I'll check out which games are clumsier with mouse and keyboard first. I know I have read reviews mentioning that.

Re: Game Controllers, Slow Reflexes, Zombies, and Fables [Re: 8dognight] #1071295
06/19/16 03:49 PM
06/19/16 03:49 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
8dognight - I will be very interested in what game controller you get or have tried out. I now have slower reflexes (hand/wrist arthritis) and for several years cannot play games w/action sequences or timed sequences. Poor Lara Croft never got a chance to heal!
I've not way of getting out to check out controllers...
but guess another thing to look for is if the buttons have a smooth action and not clicky/clunky when you press them...as well as being able to reach them...so it would be important to get one that fits your hand.

Please let us know what you find out and what you get!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, flotsam, Pandora, manxman), 340 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users