GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Problems with opening/installing Mods for Morrowind #1074869
07/20/16 02:00 PM
07/20/16 02:00 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Hi everyone. I've been playing Morrowind on my laptop and it works fine, but as I try to download and install mods, I'm having error messages. I'm using the newest version of WinZip and I have these specs if needed:

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494)
System Model
Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion Notebook Type1ProductConfigId

Processor a
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5500U
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
4096 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
Drives
748.15 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
538.53 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Memory Modules c,d
6068 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

When I try to unzip a mod, in this example it is: Morrowind Rebirth from Nexus Mods, I have this come up:

Extracting to "C://ProgramFiles(x86)\Data\"
Use Path: Yes Overlay Files: No
Error: Unable to create "C://ProgramFiles(x86)\Data\MorrowindRebirth v3
Irrecoverable Error: File creation error
Error Code:0
Error description:

I'm not sure if the problem is with WinZip, or maybe with where I am telling it to download and install the mod, but I get the same error message with any mod I try to download for Morrowind. (Haven't tried for Oblivion ones yet on this laptop, but I think it'll be the same problem, btw)

Anyway, I would really LOVE your help you guys, because I recently found a great site called Morrowind Modding History, and it's got TONS of mods that I've never played before and so I'm eager to dive in as soon as I can. smile

Please let me know if you need any further information about my laptop or anything else, and thanks so much as always for being here offering us all your help! I'd be lost without you! smile

Tracy

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
― George Eliot
Re: Problems with opening/installing Mods for Morrowind [Re: Tracy] #1074871
07/20/16 02:31 PM
07/20/16 02:31 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Tracy
Extracting to "C://ProgramFiles(x86)\Data\"
Use Path: Yes Overlay Files: No
Error: Unable to create "C://ProgramFiles(x86)\Data\MorrowindRebirth v3
Irrecoverable Error: File creation error
Error Code:0
Error description:

I'm not sure if the problem is with WinZip, or maybe with where I am telling it to download and install the mod, but I get the same error message with any mod I try to download for Morrowind. (Haven't tried for Oblivion ones yet on this laptop, but I think it'll be the same problem, btw)

That doesn't look like the correct place to extract to, even if you mean
C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Data\MorrowindRebirth v3
Windows uses backslashes, not forward slashes.
Forward slashes are used in Linux, Unix, and web browsers.
And only web browsers use double slashes.

WinZip should let you choose where to extract files, but if you're telling it to extract to "C://ProgramFiles(x86)\Data\" you're telling it to extract to some place that does not exist.

First find your Morrowind folder.
If you're using a GOG version of the game, the Morrowind folder is probably somewhere in the "C:\GOG Games" folder.

If you're using a disc version of Morrowind, the default location for the Morrowind folder may be in
C:\Program Files(x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind

However from what I read online, Program Files (x86) is not a good location for the game folder if you're using Windows Vista/7/8/10 because "Program Files" is considered "protected" and the game mods don't work properly from there.

So on Windows Vista/7/8/10, the Data folder should be inside the Morrowind folder, and the Morrowind folder should be installed somewhere other than C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86)

If you're using a version of the game that installs to C:\Program Files(x86), try uninstalling and reinstalling to some place that is not "protected" -- maybe a C:\Games folder or a folder in your user's (My) Documents folder. Then extract the mod into that folder.

If you need more help, tell us which version of Morrowind you have (Steam, GOG, disc, other?) and where you found the mods. If you're using Steam, there may be Steam-specific mods.

Re: Problems with opening/installing Mods for Morrowind [Re: Tracy] #1074900
07/20/16 05:54 PM
07/20/16 05:54 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Thanks so much, Jenny. I really appreciate your help! I had gotten so used to running this game and mods from Nexus Mods for it on my old desktop computer using Windows 7, and now with this new laptop everything is so different!

btw--I am using the disc version of Morrowind that came with the whole Elder Scrolls Anthology (Arena, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), and the MOD site is www.nexusmods.com

I am going to uninstall the game and reinstall it, and then see about creating a folder like you mentioned (C:\Games for example) and try the mod again to see what happens. Hopefully that'll do the trick, but I may be back! lol (You guys give wonderful advice but I am NOT a very technical person with computer stuff, and so you never know what I might end up doing that messes things up! lol)

Thanks so much you guys,
Tracy

― George Eliot
Re: Problems with opening/installing Mods for Morrowind [Re: Tracy] #1074935
07/20/16 10:51 PM
07/20/16 10:51 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Hi again. I couldn't remember if it was okay to post something right after another post, so I apologize in advance if we're not supposed to do this. smile

I wanted to let Jenny and everyone know that I uninstalled and reinstalled Morrowind and the expansions, and made a new folder for the game as well as the mods. I'm happy to say that I have a mod from www.nexusmods.com installed and working great, as well as one from Morrowind Modding History as well. They're both working and I'm so excited!

Thank you again-you are amazing! smile

Tracy

― George Eliot
Re: Problems with opening/installing Mods for Morrowind [Re: Tracy] #1075006
07/21/16 12:38 PM
07/21/16 12:38 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I'm glad to hear you got it working, Tracy.
Have fun playing.

Re: Problems with opening/installing Mods for Morrowind [Re: Tracy] #1075044
07/21/16 05:01 PM
07/21/16 05:01 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Thanks Jenny--will do!!

Tracy rah

― George Eliot
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (jboliver), 309 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users