GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Favorite Games Paradox #1078745
08/19/16 10:42 AM
08/19/16 10:42 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Ordinarily I loathe games that I can die in whether first or cinematic third person. Usually I will not play them for more than a few minutes.

Strangely enough, my two favorite series, Gabriel Knight and Tex Murphy, both have try again death sequences which I inevitably trigger even on replays out of clumsiness and nerves.

GK and Tex continue to be my favorites because the characters, stories, and dialog are compelling enough that I willingly suspend disbelief--AKA immerse--and then carefully read and watch walkthroughs multiple times on how to dodge alien life force suckers, werewolves, single-minded monks with flashlights, and mazes with poisonous web-spinning stink bugs.

How do other players respond to games you can die in?

If you also as a general rule dislike games you can die in and paradoxically like any or all of the Tex Murphys or Gabriel Knights, do you have any game recommendations?

I couldn't stomach the violence or respond fast enough for Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us although I was grateful Tell Tale put its cards on the table regarding QTEs in the opening sequences.

(Come to think of it, "you died, try again" occurs in several Nancy Drews although these are equally often try again endings like Nancy ending up in the hospital or sent home in disgrace.)

Re: Favorite Games Paradox [Re: 8dognight] #1078778
08/19/16 04:39 PM
08/19/16 04:39 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Well, I wrote a long response to this, this morning and it's gone. lol

I do not like games you can fail in or die (even if you start over instantly like Nancy Drew). I always finish them, but I'm generally very disappointed that they include those features. Other pet peeves are stealth (Halt Deviant from one of the Atlantis games will foreverhaunt me!).

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Favorite Games Paradox [Re: 8dognight] #1078780
08/19/16 04:41 PM
08/19/16 04:41 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

I don't think it's much of a paradox. You'd probably like the Gabriel Knight and Tex Murphy games just as much if not more if there were no timed sequences or death sequences. The games are excellent in so many other ways that you overlook the flaws. And there are fairly long stretches in those games where you aren't in danger.

Quote:
How do other players respond to games you can die in?

I always use a walkthrough while playing them.

Quote:
I couldn't stomach the violence or respond fast enough for Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us although I was grateful Tell Tale put its cards on the table regarding QTEs in the opening sequences.

IMO Telltale's recent games are much more enjoyable when watched on YouTube as opposed to played yourself. Let the YouTube player handle the QTE's.

Re: Favorite Games Paradox [Re: Jenny100] #1078788
08/19/16 06:35 PM
08/19/16 06:35 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Gabriel Knight and Tex Murphy games are also amongst my favourites - despite their "death" features yes

And Blade Runner is another smile

As a general rule I tend to avoid Adventure games that incorporate such stuff as it shouldn't be necessary in a game that's been well crafted.

BUT sometimes the lure of a "special" game does overcome my distaste and I do give in to temptation !! Although, like Jenny100, I will probably resort to using a walkthrough grin

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Favorite Games Paradox [Re: 8dognight] #1078799
08/19/16 09:37 PM
08/19/16 09:37 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I still have not played a Gabriel Knight or Tex Murphy game although I bought all of them from GOG.

I guess I don't mind dying when the game gives me another chance (such as Nancy Drew) and if I don't have to play too long of a sequence over, especially a long dialogue. THAT I don't like. I will try to figure things out myself but will consult a walkthrough if need be to get past the area.

What I most don't like is a game that can dead end you somewhere. I haven't seen this often (although sometimes when I'm stuck I think that's the problem). I know the first Atlantis game would let you go to some area without having all the inventory items you needed. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what I was supposed to do only to look at the walkthrough and find out I had missed picking up an item in a prior area and the game would not let me go back. I had to replay from a save.

Re: Favorite Games Paradox [Re: Jenny100] #1078801
08/19/16 10:00 PM
08/19/16 10:00 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I don't think it's much of a paradox. You'd probably like the Gabriel Knight and Tex Murphy games just as much if not more if there were no timed sequences or death sequences. The games are excellent in so many other ways that you overlook the flaws. And there are fairly long stretches in those games where you aren't in danger.

Having played both series of games, I absolutely agree with this.

Re: Favorite Games Paradox [Re: Marian] #1078875
08/20/16 02:58 PM
08/20/16 02:58 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Me too !! laugh

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 222 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users