GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Windows ten #1080361
08/30/16 02:58 PM
08/30/16 02:58 PM
Enland
Lozza Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Lozza  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Enland
Hello. I bought myself a good computer made especially for games. It was a windows 8.5. I had a lot of pop ups asking me to change to Windows ten. I had heard it was not the thing to do I did not download it. Finding my computer unusually slow I asked my son to have a look. He found I had accidentally agreed to Windows ten and it was loading in the background. I just let it ride and soon all was back to normal. Not for long . Soon it was the slowest computer I have had since my first over 20 years ago. The internet was slower than dial up! Then would not come up at all. My son looked at it again and discovered that there was two huge windows ten updates hammering away and had been since August 2! I had 93 backed up mails that just would not come through. My ganes started to go weird and froze then jumped! My mouse had a mind of it's own. My son advised I kept my pc turned off to let the downloads complete, and use my laptop. This is all well and good at least my laptop soon got rid of the mail backlog. Thing is this computer is suposed to run on terabytes rather than megabytes, surley windows downloading updates should not affect the day to day running of my computer in this way. I am now very worried that it may be something far worse than Windows ten! Can anyone there please advise as I miss my games and worry that something is eating it. Laptops are okay but they are not made for games are they?

Nothing is forever
Re: Windows ten [Re: Lozza] #1080366
08/30/16 04:09 PM
08/30/16 04:09 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
The first thing the Guru's will do is ask you if you ran:
1). Your Anti-Virus software
2). Malwarebytes
3). SuperAntiSpyware
so do that so you can have an answer for them.

Re: Windows ten [Re: Lozza] #1080376
08/30/16 05:00 PM
08/30/16 05:00 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Lozza
It was a windows 8.5.

I assume you mean Windows 8.1.
There is no Windows 8.5.

Quote:
I had a lot of pop ups asking me to change to Windows ten. I had heard it was not the thing to do I did not download it. Finding my computer unusually slow I asked my son to have a look. He found I had accidentally agreed to Windows ten and it was loading in the background.

Yes, Microsoft made it look like you were not agreeing, then started downloading Windows 10 anyway. Lots of people were caught by it.

Quote:
I just let it ride and soon all was back to normal. Not for long . Soon it was the slowest computer I have had since my first over 20 years ago.

It sounds like your hard drive may be full of the Windows 10 downloads. Did you check your free hard drive space?

Even though Microsoft isn't supposed to be pushing the Windows 10 download any more, it sounds like you unintentionally agreed to download and the download never finished. Now you're getting the updated "Anniversary" edition of Windows 10 downloading in addition to the original download.

Quote:
My son looked at it again and discovered that there was two huge windows ten updates hammering away and had been since August 2!

Just shows what a mess Microsoft is now.
I'd advise to install Never10, which should delete the downloaded Windows 10 files before they install and get your hard drive space back.
Just download it and run it. You might have to right-click the never10.exe file and "Run As Administrator"
https://www.grc.com/files/never10.exe
or ***here***
I used it myself. All it does is prevent Windows 10 from installing, and has an option to delete the files the Windows 10 install has already downloaded.

Quote:
I had 93 backed up mails that just would not come through. My ganes started to go weird and froze then jumped! My mouse had a mind of it's own. My son advised I kept my pc turned off to let the downloads complete, and use my laptop.

I wouldn't. Think what a mess it would be if both those downloads tried to install at the same time. Or if one started installing while the other one was still downloading.

Quote:
Thing is this computer is supposed to run on terabytes rather than megabytes,

I don't know why a terabyte hard drive would fill up unless it was already filled up. But check your free hard drive space.

Quote:
surely windows downloading updates should not affect the day to day running of my computer in this way.

Surely there shouldn't be two of them downloading at once -- yet there are.

Quote:
I am now very worried that it may be something far worse than Windows ten! Can anyone there please advise as I miss my games and worry that something is eating it. Laptops are okay but they are not made for games are they?

That's a possibility, but double Windows 10 installations might do it since it is abnormal. Get rid of that, and if you still have problems there may be something else.

If nearly everything you do is online, and Microsoft is eating up your bandwidth, that will make your computer seem very slow.

You might be interested in this article
http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469
I don't think Windows 8.1 normally does this, but there may be something about the Windows 10 Anniversary update that does it automatically, and that could eat up your bandwidth.

Sorry this post is so long. Let me know if you have a question about some part of it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Fogfighter, Lex), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users