GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) #1082493
09/16/16 12:10 PM
09/16/16 12:10 PM
Indiana
ScarletDragon Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
ScarletDragon  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
I downloaded Win 10 but decided I didn't like it, so I restored to a date prior to the download to get Win 8 back. My laptop was set for auto updates and I think it tried to run an update for Windows 10 because now my computer is locked up with the message: "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Please don't turn off your computer." It's been running in a loop or something because it shows the little circle that says it's working on something. I have no idea how to get it to stop. It won't accept any commands. Any ideas?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons ...
for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1082496
09/16/16 12:32 PM
09/16/16 12:32 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
A Google search for

failed "windows 8" update causes boot loop

resulted in several links, such as

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-update-fails-fix/
and
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2134424/laptop-restart-loop-windows-update.html

Unfortunately the possible fixes aren't that simple.
They suggest booting into safe mode (have to catch it at the right time during the reboot) and removing the most recent updates -- or booting off a recovery CD (which you'd have to make on another computer) -- or other suggestions.

You may have to take it to a repair shop if you can't fix it yourself and don't have a friend or family member who can. There are certainly suggested fixes online if you want to try to fix yourself, such as at the links above.

I'm going to change the name of your question because the computer didn't "lock up" -- it's stuck in a reboot loop.

Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1082498
09/16/16 12:46 PM
09/16/16 12:46 PM
Indiana
ScarletDragon Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
Thanks Jenny. I've tried to open in safe mode with F8 command, but I can't seem to catch it at the right time. I'll check out these links to see if it's something I can do.

Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1082500
09/16/16 01:02 PM
09/16/16 01:02 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Unfortunately, if you used the usual System Restore option, that may be your problem. The process to revert back to your previous operating system (within 30 days) is to use the option in Windows 10 described here. What it does is use a file called windows.old to restore your previous OS. System Restore may have completely messed this up.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ea09768f?auth=1

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1082501
09/16/16 01:18 PM
09/16/16 01:18 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I apologize if I misread your post, ScarletDragon.
I thought you'd already successfully reverted to Windows 8.1, and this loop was something that started happening more recently, after a Windows update.

As Draclvr said, there's a specific way you're supposed to revert to your previous version of Windows from Windows 10. You don't use System Restore to do it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

Originally Posted By: HowToGeek
To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option...

I'm not sure what using System Restore would do if you tried to use it to go back to a previous version of Windows. I'd be surprised if Microsoft would even show older restore points after changing OS, but there are a lot of things they haven't thought through lately.

Assuming you still have Windows 10 and it's trying to go to a Windows 8.1 restore point, maybe there's a way to undo going back to the restore point from Safe Mode. If that got you back to a functional Windows 10, you could try to revert to Windows 8.1 through "Update & Security" the way HowToGeek describes.

If your laptop uses the F8 key to go to Safe Mode, try holding it down continuously (or tapping it continuously) all the while it's rebooting.

Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1082502
09/16/16 01:23 PM
09/16/16 01:23 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ditto on Microsoft not thinking through a lot of things lately. And I may have misread the initial post too - it wasn't clear if the restore back to Windows 8.1 was complete. IF this is the problem, then getting back to Windows 10 and using the correct procedure to revert back to Windows 8.1 using the windows.old file might be your only option.

Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1083875
09/27/16 03:21 PM
09/27/16 03:21 PM
Indiana
ScarletDragon Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
Hi guys: Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I just got my laptop up and running today. I've been too busy to mess with it until now.

Sorry I wasn't very clear on the problem. I'm not tech savvy and it's difficult to describe what I don't completely understand.

After much prompting from my laptop, I finally downloaded Windows 10 but I hated it. Not knowing how to get back to Windows 8.1, I foolishly used a restore point prior to switching to Windows 10. For awhile Windows 8 was working perfectly just like it always did UNTIL my laptop tried to automatically accept an update which apparently was for 10 instead of 8. The update couldn't complete so it caught me in a loop.

After asking you about it, I spent the next week or so periodically starting my laptop and using F8 to avoid the loop. I could never seem to catch it at just the right point, but I kept trying every day. Today I hit the sweet spot! It opened up so I could get to recovery. I just reset the whole thing to the original factory settings and turned off automatic updates. So far everything is working fine so I hope I'm done with this mess.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Love you guys!

Re: Laptop locked up (in a reboot loop after Windows update) [Re: ScarletDragon] #1083881
09/27/16 03:52 PM
09/27/16 03:52 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Depending on how old the laptop is, you may have a LOT of Windows 8.1 security updates, so be sure you get those downloaded and installed. Now that the free Windows 10 upgrade offer is over, you should not see that one appear again. Of course, be vigilant!

Glad you finally got it sorted out! We were figuring you were going to need to go back to Windows 8.1 to get it working again.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (fildil, michele rose, 1 invisible), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users