GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1085757 - 10/13/16 10:56 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Administrator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
I thought The Dark Path was excellent and a worthy sequel to Barrow Hill. I just finished yesterday and I'm sad it's over.

Ana wave

#1085761 - 10/13/16 11:37 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

I agree, a most enjoyable game

#1085824 - 10/14/16 02:45 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
seagul Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Germany
BubbaJake: The Dark Path is like an appetizer for Braken Tor. The events at Braken Tor are mentioned in the game and some persons who where there.
So i hope you change your mind and give it a try.
After having played The Dark Path i want to play Braken Tor even more.

#1085966 - 10/15/16 02:06 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Mad]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Mad
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
There will be Mad, I posted that a few posts above. laugh

Yes, I had seen that post, BrownEyedTigre, but an alternative seller doesn't always mean an alternative to Steam. I've been caught by that in the past - so I was trying to make sure laugh

Hi BrownEyedTigre smile

Just wondering if you will be posting at Gameboomers if and when a non-Steam version is made available ??

[I've been checking the Shadow Tor Shop but not seen anything yet.]

Cheers.

Mad wave

#1085998 - 10/15/16 06:08 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Administrator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
You betcha!

#1086050 - 10/16/16 03:05 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Wales
Thanks Ana,
That would be great!

#1086089 - 10/16/16 01:06 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
You betcha!

Fantastic !! bravo
Thanks, BrownEyedTigre wave2

#1086329 - 10/18/16 05:15 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

Couldn't wait for a non-STEAM version.:) At least the game turned out to be DRM-free in the STEAM sense of DRM-free. Maybe even DRM-free for real but I didn't try moving the game to another computer so not sure.

Highly recommended game btw!

#1086357 - 10/18/16 09:39 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: frazap]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

I'm glad you said in the STEAM sense of DRM-free frazap because Steam releases are certainly not in the TRUE sense DRM free !! rolleyes

#1086359 - 10/18/16 10:07 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Mad]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

I'm glad you said in the STEAM sense of DRM-free frazap because Steam releases are certainly not in the TRUE sense DRM free !! rolleyes

Depends on ones own definition of DRM-free I guess. Some games are truly DRM-free once installed via the STEAM client. That is, the folder containing the installed game may be transfered to another hard drive and even another computer and still work completely independent of STEAM. That's good enough for me, but I guess only games that depend neither on the STEAM client or registry entries in Windows work this way.

But it is at least true that many games, especially adventure games, work without the client (with STEAM not even installed) once they are installed. But being forced to use the STEAM client to install the game in the first place is in those cases bad enough, I agree.

#1086373 - 10/18/16 12:29 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: frazap]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

This is a clear definition of DRM Free, frazap, and it is the one I go by grin

DRM is usually tied to a client (like Steam or Origin).
Once you buy the game and install it with a key, the game gets tied to your account with that client and that key cannot be used to install it on any other accounts.

A game that is DRM-Free is a game that does not have any DRM scheme. It can be installed as many times on as many different machines as you want and is not tied to any account anywhere. The idea is that the publisher of that game trusts you, as an honest person, to not distribute their game en-masse. It's effectively the logical extreme of the old Shareware model.

#1086562 - 10/20/16 03:42 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Mad]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

This is a clear definition of DRM Free, frazap, and it is the one I go by grin

DRM is usually tied to a client (like Steam or Origin).
Once you buy the game and install it with a key, the game gets tied to your account with that client and that key cannot be used to install it on any other accounts.

A game that is DRM-Free is a game that does not have any DRM scheme. It can be installed as many times on as many different machines as you want and is not tied to any account anywhere. The idea is that the publisher of that game trusts you, as an honest person, to not distribute their game en-masse. It's effectively the logical extreme of the old Shareware model.

That is someone's definition on DRM-free, and I basically agree. But I don't mind using Steam as what can be called a download/install client, as long as the game once installed is not at all tied to the Steam account or the very computer it was first installed on. I'm just trying to say that some games aren't. One example is Contradiction. I bought it on Humble store, which gave me one DRM-free (in the pure sense) version and one Steam key for the game. The DRM-free version turned out to an old version so I installed the Steam one. Once installed you can shut down, even uninstall, Steam and move the folder containing the game to another computer. It still works. Giving me the exact same result as with the version downloaded directly from Humble store (only, in this case, bug free).

Very few games on Steam are like this though and I haven't tried moving the new Barrow Hill installation to another computer. But once installed at least it does not need the Steam client to run.

#1086617 - 10/20/16 11:53 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: frazap]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Well, as has been said so many times, frazap, the using of Steam is by personal decision and for me it is a definite "no" laugh

#1086683 - 10/21/16 03:11 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Mad]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

Well, as has been said so many times, frazap, the using of Steam is by personal decision and for me it is a definite "no" laugh

I certainly respect that! I had that position myself no more than a year ago and I still basically consider Steam a game rental service in disguise. But there are games that I like to play and that are not available anywhere else so a while back I bit the bullet and signed up. But I still of course only buy a game from them if it's absolutely impossible to obtain in any other legal way and it's a game I simply have to play!

#1086741 - 10/21/16 01:17 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: frazap]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

I do have a very few games from Steam, frazap, even though I have always much disliked their "invasiveness" but following my purchase of a game from them (a long time ago) that had a massive technical fault and wouldn't run and for which no help whatsoever was forthcoming - not even the courtesy of a reply and certainly no offer of a refund - I decided on principle not to have anything more to do with them yes

Many people were in the same situation as I was with the game. It wasn't just me. And we were all equally disgusted frown

Having said that I know there are lots of people who are happy to use Steam - and I wish "good luck" to them all laugh

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
9 registered (GuybrushThreepwood, Pandora, Lex, Jenny100, deleterman, Reenie, 8dognight, maggsie, family), 134 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Zorkmid57, StuDapples, SweetLulu, Lion_1251, phimestudio
8978 Registered Users