GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#1086977 - 10/23/16 10:22 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Mad]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Mad
I do have a very few games from Steam, frazap, even though I have always much disliked their "invasiveness" but following my purchase of a game from them (a long time ago) that had a massive technical fault and wouldn't run and for which no help whatsoever was forthcoming - not even the courtesy of a reply and certainly no offer of a refund - I decided on principle not to have anything more to do with them yes

Many people were in the same situation as I was with the game. It wasn't just me. And we were all equally disgusted frown

Having said that I know there are lots of people who are happy to use Steam - and I wish "good luck" to them all laugh

If you have a Steam account and don't like DRM i can report that The Dark Path is indeed completely DRM free once installed through Steam. Just moved the installation folder to a completely different computer (without a Steam client installed) and it seems to work perfectly.

#1086991 - 10/23/16 12:01 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
MaG Offline
Administrator
Sonic Boomer

Thanks for the info, frazap.

#1087011 - 10/23/16 01:36 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: MaG]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
I'm glad, frazap, that you found a way to use Steam that works for you thumbsup

#1087225 - 10/24/16 10:34 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: frazap]
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: frazap
If you have a Steam account and don't like DRM i can report that The Dark Path is indeed completely DRM free once installed through Steam. Just moved the installation folder to a completely different computer (without a Steam client installed) and it seems to work perfectly.

Does it have to be moved to a different computer?

Could you move it to a different drive on the same computer and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you leave it installed in the same location and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you move it to a USB drive for storage, and then move it back at some later time and play it without using the Steam client?

#1087656 - 10/28/16 04:00 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Uncle Reg]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg

Does it have to be moved to a different computer?

Could you move it to a different drive on the same computer and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you leave it installed in the same location and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you move it to a USB drive for storage, and then move it back at some later time and play it without using the Steam client?

I believe the answer is yes to all three questions. I played it all the way through on the same computer I have Steam installed on but disabled the client. Then only tested the game on another computer briefly and it seemed to work. So the game seems to work without being dependent on Windows' registry or the Steam client.

#1087742 - 10/28/16 04:26 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks, frazap.

Is disabling the client as simple as just exiting from the running program, or is it more involved than that?

Are there any other games that work like this one?

#1087776 - 10/29/16 06:11 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Uncle Reg]
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg

Thanks, frazap.

Is disabling the client as simple as just exiting from the running program, or is it more involved than that?

Are there any other games that work like this one?

I think you have to rename the steam.exe in order for the game not to "connect" with the client. That's what I do anyway.

I'm replaying The Lost Crown (the enhanced Steam version) right now. It works without the client too (achievements doesn't work of course, but that's only a positive for me). Will try moving it to another computer and report back.

There are quite a few games that don't need the client once they are installed. But I'd guess not many of them work on a different computer from the one they were installed on due to dependency on Windows registry entries.

#1087814 - 10/29/16 03:10 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: frazap]
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer

I think you have to rename the steam.exe in order for the game not to "connect" with the client. That's what I do anyway.

Is there somewhere else that you can learn little tricks like this? I don't remember seeing many details like this being discussed on this forum.

There are quite a few games that don't need the client once they are installed.

Is there any way to tell which games don't need the client before you buy them?

I apologize for all the questions, but this discussion keeps getting closer to converting a heretofore dyed-in-the-wool Steamophobe (I think I just coined a new word) like me. Any assistance that you can provide will and already has been greatly appreciated.

#1087821 - 10/29/16 05:08 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Here is a list of a lot of them.

Can we discuss Steam and non-game discussions off of game threads please so that we can discuss the actual games here and not technical issues? How to get things to run is a glitches item. Thank you!

Ana wave

#1087947 - 10/31/16 09:46 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Wales
Well, I've just succumbed to Steam as I couldn't wait any longer to get The Dark Path. Took 2.5 hours to download (my slow broadband connection) but I know it's going to be worth it tonight when I turn the lights off and tell the dog to stop bothering me. The treat of the year in store.

#1087948 - 10/31/16 10:01 AM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Draclvr Offline
Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
You will love it! And just right for Halloween night...

#1087993 - 10/31/16 02:37 PM Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path [Re: Draclvr]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hopefully, when the non-STEAM version is released, it will still be cold, dark nights lol

bat ghost2 bat ghost2 bat

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
8 registered (BrownEyedTigre, oldbroad, NDLVR, Donald, Marian, Sassy, Space Quest Fan, gymcandy1), 84 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Newest Members
LadyAfrica, hudibras, Hendras, Andiox, gmparg
8927 Registered Users