GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Dilemma Game Decision #1086847
10/22/16 10:27 AM
10/22/16 10:27 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I started playing PC games beginning with Myst - shortly after I retired. Since then
I have played many adventure games; like many people on this forum. Going back to when
a boxed game could cost up to $60. Also, I have sold many games over the years (and still have
some old boxed games).

What I'm finding is I've been hooked on Big Fish games - especially when they have 2 for sales - which
means I've been neglecting playing more of the adventure type games.

It isn't that I don't have enough time - I've been retired since 1993 - it's just that it's
so much easier to load a Big Fish game, play it and then load another one. In the meantime I
have a couple of adventure games just sitting there.

I guess I'm just curious if other people have the same dilemma - to quit Big Fish and go back
full blown to adventure games or just keep going on trying to "squeeze" in an adventure game now
and then.

I also used to be more active on the Game Boomers forum but not so much now.

I always liked to get a physical game in a box and now it seems they're all streamed so that's
another reason - in my mind anyway - why I haven't bought that many adventure games.

So, this is me venting (in between playing Big Fish games) to see if anyone else feels the same.

Robert

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1086857
10/22/16 10:58 AM
10/22/16 10:58 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi rmelone smile

Big Fish Casuals are still a "secondary" past time for me - even though they are so easily accessible AND often so much easier to play.

Adventures are still my first love with a certain style of RPG the second.

But I have to admit that Big Fish are a strong pull !! laugh

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1086858
10/22/16 11:02 AM
10/22/16 11:02 AM
Lincoln, NE
GuybrushThreepwood Offline
Addicted Boomer
GuybrushThreepwood  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
I'm way behind on my adventure playing. I have it but have not played latest Tex Murphy for example. one of several I supported on kickstarter, but haven't actually gotten around to playing. I keep going back to Star Wars: The Old Republic or Bish Fish cassual gamnes. Right now I'm binging on BF.

Currently Playing:
Adventure Game: Broken Age
Darkside: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1086867
10/22/16 11:27 AM
10/22/16 11:27 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
For the last several years my free time has been very limited, with many responsibilities and frequent interruptions. That is the main reason I play mostly Big Fish games rather than full-blown adventure games. With adventure games, I find it frustrating when I can only play them for 15 or 20 minutes here and there - I tend to lose track of the plot and the details which are important to playing them. With a Big Fish game, I can just continue on and it doesn't really matter if I have forgotten some stuff, because the continuity and the focus aren't required to the same degree.

I did manage to replay The Longest Journey in the past year (which is quite extraordinary that I managed it, given my schedule - but I was determined to finish it). Otherwise, I do often replay my Nancy Drew games, as I am familiar with them already, so I don't mind if there are long breaks between play.

I am also not thrilled with digital downloads, although I have come to accept that they are now the rule rather than the exception.

And lastly, for some reason there just aren't that many new adventure games that I am all that enthused about playing. A notable exception is Blackenrock - I am really looking forward to playing that, although I am sure it will take me a very long time to finish it.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1086868
10/22/16 11:30 AM
10/22/16 11:30 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Quote:
it's just that it's so much easier to load a Big Fish game, play it and then load another one.

It's not that much different to download and play an adventure game.
Choosing one you actually want to play can be difficult though.

Quote:
I guess I'm just curious if other people have the same dilemma - to quit Big Fish and go back full blown to adventure games or just keep going on trying to "squeeze" in an adventure game now and then.

I don't really understand why you'd want to quit Big Fish if their casual games are the ones you're choosing to play over current adventure games.

If you really want to quit Big Fish in order to force yourself to play adventure games, it's not a problem to pause your membership and monthly fee. I bet you'll go back to them though.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1086869
10/22/16 11:59 AM
10/22/16 11:59 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
First I'd like to thank everyone for their replies and comments. That's what I always liked about
the GB forum - the great support of their members.

Jenny100 - You're right, in a way, that I think I was looking for a way to break free, if you
want to call it that, from Big Fish and then go back to playing adventure games. The problem
is I'm not sure I would be able to find enough PC games I would be interested in - other than
Syberia 3 which I hope will be out before the end of March next year (1st quarter releases
always make me wonder because they have so much leeway.)

Marian - I have a similar problem with a game if I stop for a while getting back into the flow
and picking up where I left off. I'm much better when I can play the game from beginning to en
without playing another game, or games, in between.

GuybrushThreepwood - I also supported the latest Tex Murphy game on kickstarter and managed to
finish it. It sounds like you're in a similar position that I am, as far as playing games on
BF.

Mad - You're right about the "pull" of BF - at least for me.

I think I will try to find a happy medium, somehow, between adventure games and BF. Maybe
I'll use Syberia 3 as a starting point.

Thanks again for the replies.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1086884
10/22/16 01:00 PM
10/22/16 01:00 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I play BF games as breaks between adventure games. You don't have to be BF Member to get good prices. They have a 65% off sale every 4 weeks or so which brings CE games down to $6.99.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: oldbroad] #1086948
10/22/16 10:58 PM
10/22/16 10:58 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Old Broad is right: You don't have to stay a Member and let them hit your VISA every month. I discontinued my Membership almost as soon as I found out they were going to charge me every month whether I bought and played a game or not. My husband and I travel overseas frequently, often for a month at a time. Besides, they have frequent 2-for-1 sales. I have continued to buy games when I saw a good one, not worrying about the cash clock ticking.

I also am retired (as of two years ago), but have a busy life and can't often sit down to the computer for hours at a time. I need to stay active for the benefit of my health, for one thing! And then I had the experience of buying several "adventure" games and not being happy with them for one reason or another. Can't tell you how much money I spent on games that I didn't finish! There have been a few standouts (mentioned above, already), but when it comes to spending $30 for a game and then not liking it, it begins to put you off.

I would welcome some more challenging games at Big Fish than their usual HOG-laden fare full of unicorns, witches, and insane man-beasts. After you've played a bunch of them, they get SO repetitive. ha ha I will go away from BF for months at a time because of that. But then I'll come back and take a look, and when they do issue an adventure light, I will check it out. The good thing about their system is that you can play a one-hour trial game before you commit to buying it.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1086976
10/23/16 09:31 AM
10/23/16 09:31 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I was thinking the same thing that Reenie posted in that BFG have become predictable, for the most part,
when it comes to Hidden Object type games. It's almost as if the companies creating the games are using
a template for the games.

The idea of just buying games from BFG and not being a subscriber has been something I've been considering
for some time. That is an option worth considering...we'll see.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087014
10/23/16 01:42 PM
10/23/16 01:42 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
When I first visited Big Fish I "joined" the club but only stayed in it for a few weeks because I very soon realised that I wouldn't be buying games often enough to warrant staying a club member.

And ever since, I've just bought games that have appealed to me .... on a "now and then" basis.

But I have bought some really enjoyable ones thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087015
10/23/16 01:45 PM
10/23/16 01:45 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
And you can join the club again at any time. Every time you purchase they ask if you want to rejoin.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: oldbroad] #1087221
10/24/16 10:21 PM
10/24/16 10:21 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

I have a bunch of game credits built up. If I stop the monthly payment would I still keep those game credits?

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087223
10/24/16 10:30 PM
10/24/16 10:30 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Uncle Reg,

This is from the Big Fish Support Page.

Quote:
If I cancel, will I still have access to my account and games?

Yes. You can always access your account, play the games you've bought, and get new games without being a Game Club member.

After canceling, you can continue to:

Sign in with the same email address and password.

Redeem any unused Game Club credits. Please note that credits expire 180 days after cancellation if membership is not reactivated.

Reinstall purchased games whenever you want. The games you've bought are yours to keep!

Redeem any unused Punch Card coupon codes. Please note that Punch Card coupon codes expire exactly 60 days after they are issued.

Get new games.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: MaG] #1087226
10/24/16 10:39 PM
10/24/16 10:39 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks, MaG.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: MaG] #1087233
10/25/16 01:05 AM
10/25/16 01:05 AM
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Yes, Reg. Although I have not been a paying "Member" of Big Fish for many years, I still can access, reload and replay any game I bought. They keep your records, even if you are not in the monthly paying Game Club.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087263
10/25/16 09:27 AM
10/25/16 09:27 AM
FLORIDA
UruKat Offline
Settled Boomer
UruKat  Offline
Settled Boomer

FLORIDA
I feel the same as you. I mostly play the Big Fish games now because there seems to be so few real Adventure Games out there that don't require using the keyboard or that has combat. I love games like Myst, where you can just roam around and explore and solve puzzles without having to worry about being killed or being timed in a puzzle.
I have found a few Adventure games like that over the last few years, but they are getting harder and harder to find.
I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the Dreamfall Chapters SO much and I'm looking forward to the next Syberia. Other than that, I haven't been able to find any new games along those same lines.
If I've missed any, any suggestions are appreciated. wave
Big Fish has some "Adventure Lite" games that are good without all the Hidden Object scenes.

Following the Yellow Brick Road in search of the White Rabbit so I can fly away to Neverland
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: oldbroad] #1087271
10/25/16 10:47 AM
10/25/16 10:47 AM
FLORIDA
UruKat Offline
Settled Boomer
UruKat  Offline
Settled Boomer

FLORIDA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I play BF games as breaks between adventure games. You don't have to be BF Member to get good prices. They have a 65% off sale every 4 weeks or so which brings CE games down to $6.99.

I thought you have to be a member to get the sale prices. You mean I can still get the sale without being a member?

Following the Yellow Brick Road in search of the White Rabbit so I can fly away to Neverland
Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087276
10/25/16 10:56 AM
10/25/16 10:56 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yes UruKat. I think they have some "members only" sales but they always have sales that are for non-members also. I usually take advantage of the 65% off sales and I am not a member. They are approximately every 4 weeks. They also have 60% off sales. Just get in the habit of checking out BF site every day. I think I usually receive an email for these sales.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: oldbroad] #1087278
10/25/16 10:59 AM
10/25/16 10:59 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Yes UruKat. I think they have some "members only" sales but they always have sales that are for non-members also. I usually take advantage of the 65% off sales and I am not a member. The are approximately every 4 weeks. They also have 60% off sales. Just get in the habit of checking out BF site every day. I think I usually receive an email for these sales.

That is correct. Sometimes the sales are for members and non-members alike. wave

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: Marian] #1087291
10/25/16 12:03 PM
10/25/16 12:03 PM
FLORIDA
UruKat Offline
Settled Boomer
UruKat  Offline
Settled Boomer

FLORIDA
Good to know...thanks! thanks

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087475
10/26/16 02:15 PM
10/26/16 02:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If you're going to buy 12 or more standard edition Big Fish games in the course of a year (or 6 "Collector's" editions), you might as well remain a member. The $6.99 monthly charge gets you a non-expiring game credit. It is a nuisance to have to wait for a sale that is good for non-members. "Buy One get one free" is always better for members -- $6.99 for 2 standard games as opposed to $9.99 for 2 standard games -- or $13.99 for 2 "Collector's" games as opposed to $19.99 for 2 "Collector's" games. I ended up losing money by not being a member, so I wouldn't recommend quitting Big Fish membership unless you're sure you want to quit playing Big Fish games.

Re: Dilemma Game Decision [Re: rmelone] #1087476
10/26/16 02:25 PM
10/26/16 02:25 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
$6.99 for a CE and $3.49 for a SE game at the 65% sale. It's worth waiting for the sales for me. To each his own, as the saying goes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Draclvr, oldbroad), 267 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users