GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Upsydaisy] #1109392
05/03/17 02:30 PM
05/03/17 02:30 PM
S
SirDave Offline
Settled Boomer
SirDave  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Originally Posted By: Upsydaisy
A friend has suggested taking a travel sickness pill 20 minutes before playing the game. I haven't tried myself yet, but if someone wants to give it a try and report back? sick

I have never tried it, but fwiw: The tricky part of this has always been that the drugs (to this point anyway) have to cross the blood-brain barrier and thus, tend to cause varying amounts of sedation plus atropine-like side effects (dry mouth etc.)

Currently, drugs that help motion sickness with less sedation:

Cinnarizine (Stugeron) may be the most effective with least sedation, but isn't available in the US.
Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine, Gravol, Driminate)
Meclizine (Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, and Sea Legs)
Cyclizine ( Marezine, Bonine For Kids, Cyclivert)

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: SirDave
I was going to buy it off GOG, but I'm not sure that the computer I want to use will run it. The given minimum specs required are so high, but I've sometimes found in the past that the actual required specs are not as high as those listed. My computer has a Core 2 Duo 2.53 ghz CPU with 4g memory and a dedicated ATI Radeon HD 4570 GPU. I'm wondering if anyone here got Quern running respectably on a computer with specs lower than those listed.

I don't think it will run on that computer -- certainly not well. Both the video card and the processor are slower than what is listed for Quern, and they also ask for 8 GB of RAM.

***Quern listed requirements at game-debate***
***Radeon HD 7770 vs HD 4570 at GPUBoss***
Even if Quern does somehow run on that computer, the trouble with running a game with 3D movement on a computer with less than the minimum listed requirements is that the picture chugs and jerks and movement isn't smooth. The jerky movement is worse for people that get motion sickness.

You'll probably enjoy a replay of Riven more anyway.

Actually, I'm on a mission to finally complete all the Rhem games, a subject that I think is dear to your heart! smile And I still have backlog of unplayed true point and clickers.

If I could count on being able to play these newer Myst-like games without nausea, I'd go right out and get a suitab

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 05/03/17 06:14 PM. Reason: combined stacked posts
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109401
05/03/17 06:17 PM
05/03/17 06:17 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I'm not really a fan of motion sickness pills. I actually don't do well with most meds. I have heard some have been helped by it, though.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1109406
05/03/17 08:04 PM
05/03/17 08:04 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I'm not really a fan of motion sickness pills. I actually don't do well with most meds. I have heard some have been helped by it, though.

Same here. There are always side effects, and the only medications that actually work to reduce nausea from simulated 3D movement in games also knock me out so much I want nothing more than a nap. Not a desirable result when your original intention was to play a game.

Originally Posted By: SirDave
Actually, I'm on a mission to finally complete all the Rhem games, a subject that I think is dear to your heart! And I still have backlog of unplayed true point and clickers.

Well you're all set then.
Do you still have those old laptops to play on?

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Jenny100] #1109407
05/03/17 08:47 PM
05/03/17 08:47 PM
S
SirDave Offline
Settled Boomer
SirDave  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Yup, the whole mess of them: Win98, WinXP, Win7, various shapes and sizes. smile

I have the same issues with the drugs. One thing is sure: they don't help with puzzle-solving!

Last edited by SirDave; 05/03/17 08:49 PM.
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: SirDave] #1109476
05/04/17 12:41 PM
05/04/17 12:41 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
SNAP !! SirDave lol

Although my machines are PC's and not Laptops yes

And I had a "home made" Win95 one, too, until a few years ago when it sadly died on me oops

[Don't bother with drugs at all however, unless they are for life threatening conditions.]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109480
05/04/17 01:41 PM
05/04/17 01:41 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I started Eyes of Ara some time ago, but ran out of playing time. I'd like to finish that before trying Quern.

Eyes of Ara is 3D, but is point-and-click, so as long as I pan slowly and look away from the screen during transitions I can cope with it.

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Jenny100] #1109717
05/07/17 02:52 PM
05/07/17 02:52 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I have that game in my "unplayed" stack, Jenny100

Do you like it think

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109758
05/08/17 12:46 AM
05/08/17 12:46 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I'd forgotten what Eyes of Ara was like. There is some point-and-click, but mostly it seems to be click-and-drag or grab-and-drag, which is awkward. To turn around you sometimes have to grab-and-drag 3 or 4 times. In some areas you can put your cursor at the edge of the screen and it will pan, but in other areas it won't. It's easy to miss things because they can be above or below the viewing area, and it's such a pain to pan up and down.

Puzzles seem OK but I'm having object disappear. I collected a glowing blue ball that looked important, which was kept on a separate inventory list you see on the pause screen. The glowing blue ball is gone now. I don't know when it disappeared. It was 1 of 2, but now I have 0 of 2. I don't know if it's important to finishing the game, but why bother having the player collect those things if they're just going to disappear like that?

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Jenny100] #1109816
05/08/17 02:27 PM
05/08/17 02:27 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Oh, dear. Another game with weird navigation and disappearing inventory items as well shocked
I can see it not shooting up to the top of my stack then rolleyes

Quern navigation can be quite awkward for me because I use a very old fashioned mouse and it's really NOT suitable whistle

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109831
05/08/17 04:42 PM
05/08/17 04:42 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't think those particular disappearing items are necessary to finish the game, but it's still annoying to have them disappear after the game makes such a fuss over you finding them -- like having the blue ball hover at the top of the screen for several seconds. Then it's gone when you enter the next game area, maybe before.

I don't know what Quern navigation is like yet, but I think click-and-drag is a pain in the butte. I keep trying to tap the arrow keys or W/S out of habit to pan incrementally up or down, which would work in most 3D games. But no, you have to go through the rigmarole of click-and-grab-and-pull-down. Such a lot of fuss for something that should be so simple. I'd prefer to be able to switch between central-cursor-panning and a still screen you can move the mouse around, the way you could in Myst: Exile.

The puzzles are mostly fine, and I like the idea of exploring a castle, but I don't like the interface.

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109866
05/08/17 10:39 PM
05/08/17 10:39 PM
SE Michigan
T
The Haze Offline
Addicted Boomer
The Haze  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

SE Michigan
I played "Eyes of ARA" and liked it right up until the end. I was playing over Halloween and there suddenly appeared all kinds of clever and witty Halloween decorations which were a really fun bonus. However, my computer was a bit shy of necessities and therefor gameplay was often a fight. Worse, when I got to the end I discovered I had failed to find two of the various items I was collecting and couldn't actually finish the last bit. Worse, there was no way to learn what exactly I had NOT found and where I had not found it. So I quit. The gameplay problem was mine, but it was never made clear until the end that I had to find all the items nor was it clear how many there were. Beautiful and huge game,but I was crushed at the end.

If all the people were heroes, there would be no one to watch the parades.
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109867
05/08/17 10:41 PM
05/08/17 10:41 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Jenny - I can't actually remember what the blue balls are for but inventory items do change depending on what section of the game you are in. If you go back to a prior section, things that were there before will be there again.

I also did not have everything at the end so there was something(s) I was not able to access. I did not like that.

Last edited by oldbroad; 05/08/17 10:43 PM.
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1109870
05/08/17 11:13 PM
05/08/17 11:13 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't think the blue balls were a problem. I found more.
At first I thought the yellow balls that went into regular inventory were a problem when they disappeared, but I found more of those too.

Apparently the things that went into the 2nd inventory, like figurines, coins, blue balls, paintings, and photos are used to open an extra room near the end. I'm missing a lot of those. There's a room near the end where they've been collected, and a doorway in that room that I don't think opens until you find everything. I'm also missing some gargoyle eyes on the arched door upstairs. I assume I need them all to get into that room.

I seem to be missing a couple of wheel-like items necessary to finish.
I thought I had at least one of them, but it disappeared when I went into another area.
I'll have to go back and search.

I found a Guide at Steam Forums.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727315958
It has item lists, so maybe it will help me find some of the items I'm missing.

EDIT --

Found a few more objects. I think one of the photographs didn't register as picked up.

Found another written walkthrough here
http://www.evermynd.com/walkthroughs/eyesofara.html

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1299907
06/10/23 12:10 PM
06/10/23 12:10 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I was very excited today to see that the developers of Quern are making a new game called Dimhaven Enigmas. No release date yet but I already put it on the wishlist! yes

Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1299917
06/11/23 05:18 AM
06/11/23 05:18 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oldbroad...thank you so much for this announcement...I had no idea and I am excited too as Quern was one of my most favorite plays. Hope they aren't too early in the development as I am selfish and want to play now grin

Dimhaven Enigmas

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: QUERN - Undying Thoughts [Re: Lagavulin] #1299918
06/11/23 07:01 AM
06/11/23 07:01 AM
Orlando, Fl.
Orion Offline
Addicted Boomer
Orion  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Orlando, Fl.
This is good to hear oldbroad. Quern was one of our favorites. Lengthy game with very good integrated puzzles and nice story. Will definately keep both eyes on this one. I am afraid its gonna be awhile. "Dimhaven is in early development." Thanks for the link GreyFuss. Like you we are ready to play it

Thank you oldbroad

It's never too late!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Pandora, oldbroad, Draclvr), 590 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users