GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1091721 - 12/05/16 12:06 AM Dreamfall Chapters
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Well, I've had two play sessions with this game so far but found it really boring frown12

Nothing about it grabbed me At ALL oops
So does it perk up somewhat as it goes on or should I just abandon it eek12

#1091725 - 12/05/16 12:45 AM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
oldbroad Online   happy
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
Well that sounds disappointing. I'm replaying The Longest Journey right now to someday get to Dreamfall Chapters. I hope it will pick up for you.

#1091726 - 12/05/16 12:46 AM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
Jenny100 Online   content
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA

Yes it perks up.
If you don't want to play, check Dilandau3000's playthrough and see if it starts to get interesting for you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjjNZRzFam-qWpmjESYEUr9-YQUhBjjaP

#1091851 - 12/06/16 12:12 AM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Jenny100]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

oldbroad ....

You seem to be much more patient than I am when it comes to games so please don't be put off by just MY comments.
I very much liked The Longest Journey but very much disliked Dreamfall .... So for me, Dreamfall Chapters was an "iffy" purchase from the start lol12

Jenny100 ....
I've viewed some of that Utube content now, thank you, however I'm thinking maybe I will quit the game for now and save it for a very rainy day !! smile12

#1091924 - 12/06/16 11:22 AM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
Sonic Boomer

The later chapters are more interesting, after Zoe gets back to Arkadia for an extended time. For example where she visits the Yaga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBtK4LJutE

It's interesting how she starts to look like Princess Leia once she gets to Arkadia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCcXKwEuTg

If you don't have patience to endure the early parts of the game, it's probably best to put it aside for later. But you may not want to uninstall considering how nasty and complicated the "save" system is.

Players should NOT have to go into the registry to back up a saved game.
That is just asking for trouble.

#1091935 - 12/06/16 12:10 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Jenny100]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Hi Jenny100.
Having now got my saves safely tucked away, I have no qualms about uninstalling the game smile12

I probably will give it another go sometime but for the time being it's staying on the back burner wink12

And even though I did attempt to find the registry "saves" there's no way I would have touched them if I HAD found them.
I'm way too much of a coward !! lol12

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Mad thumbsup12

#1091937 - 12/06/16 12:27 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
Sonic Boomer

The "registry saves" probably tell the game where the saves are, and what constitutes a save -- something like the cat file in old Sierra games like GK1. Without the "registry saves" Dreamfall Chapters wouldn't recognize it had any saves in its subfolder of the LocalLow folder (or wherever it put them).

If the game gave you an option to keep your saves when you uninstalled, there shouldn't be a problem unless you try to use the saves on a different computer.

#1092012 - 12/06/16 08:53 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
oldbroad Online   happy
Addicted Boomer

Mad, I'm not put off by your comments about the game. I just meant it was disappointing for you.

#1092043 - 12/07/16 05:53 AM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: oldbroad]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Oh, I have plenty of other games to have a go at, oldbroad, and I probably will give this one another try sometime.

But I'm glad to hear you haven't been put off by my opinion !!
Enjoy yourself bravo12

#1098624 - 01/28/17 07:03 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
oldbroad Online   happy
Addicted Boomer

Hey Mad. I've been playing this for way too long already and am stuck in book 2 right now. I am finding it fairly boring also so far and very aggravating. It is like one big maze. Try to figure out where you are and try to figure out how to get where you need to go, over and over and over. I've already been playing for 17 hours and the actual gameplay has probably only been 1 hour. The rest of the time I have spent wandering!

And it saves automatically, fairly frequent though, however, after wandering I forget when it last saved and what I might have done since then but I had to exit out of the game anyway. I think you did the right thing putting it away for a very rainy day. smile

Just for the record, I was so happy when my replay of Dreamfall Longest Journey was over. I had remembered only a small amount of action and liked the game alright. Hah! This time it seemed to never stop and I did not really enjoy it much.

I did, however, enjoy my replay of The Longest Journey.

#1098664 - 01/29/17 06:26 AM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: oldbroad]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

I thought The Longest Journey was a real treat of a game, oldbroad, and have played and enjoyed it a few times now yes

But, for me, none that have followed in the series are at ALL comparable rolleyes

#1098717 - 01/29/17 02:29 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
vic Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: St Albans, UK
I initially played this and left it after only an hour or so but last month decided to pick it up and try and play it and was very glad I did. It was one of the 'biggest' games I have played in a long while as it made me feel a lot and the story was very good. I got used to the bits where you had to do something a little quick and confess there was one where I got a friend to do it, but probably would have managed it if I had been bothered. I was very sad when the game ended and almost cried which is really rare for me with a computer game. I felt as though I had been on a long journey and it had ended and I was sad to leave it. Since playing it I have bought and played a number of games and none have been as good, but it definitely has got me back into gaming!

Edited by vic (01/29/17 02:30 PM)

#1098734 - 01/29/17 07:00 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: oldbroad]
Sonic Boomer

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Hey Mad. I've been playing this for way too long already and am stuck in book 2 right now. I am finding it fairly boring also so far and very aggravating. It is like one big maze. Try to figure out where you are and try to figure out how to get where you need to go, over and over and over. I've already been playing for 17 hours and the actual gameplay has probably only been 1 hour. The rest of the time I have spent wandering!

I suggest watching Dilandau3000's YouTube playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjjNZRzFam-qWpmjESYEUr9-YQUhBjjaP
You won't miss any real classic adventure game gameplay because there isn't any. Unless you enjoy wandering around looking at things, you won't get much out of trying to "play" the game.

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I did, however, enjoy my replay of The Longest Journey.

As far as I'm concerned, The Longest Journey is a standalone game with no true sequels.

Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters are a retcon, with changes made to characters and places just for the sake of being different -- making it look like what you thought you knew from TLJ (and even from the first Dreamfall) was wrong. As far as I'm concerned, the Dreamfall games take place in a different universe.

I've heard that they had less money to work on Chapters than they did for TLJ, and it shows in the lack of real gameplay, problems with pacing, rushed endgame, and incomplete and/or conflicted explanations. I don't expect "everything" to be explained, but they crossed the line between "let the audience decide" and "I don't care anymore BS" too many times.

I don't think we'll ever get the "Longest Journey 2: Further Adventures of April and Crow" game that fans wanted after playing TLJ. Even if the "Longest Journey Home" game is made (which looks doubtful), it won't be in the spirit of the original "The Longest Journey." Ragnar Tornquist has shown he can't make that kind of game any more.

#1098737 - 01/29/17 07:25 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: vic]
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Originally Posted By: vic
I initially played this and left it after only an hour or so but last month decided to pick it up and try and play it and was very glad I did. It was one of the 'biggest' games I have played in a long while as it made me feel a lot and the story was very good. I got used to the bits where you had to do something a little quick and confess there was one where I got a friend to do it, but probably would have managed it if I had been bothered. I was very sad when the game ended and almost cried which is really rare for me with a computer game. I felt as though I had been on a long journey and it had ended and I was sad to leave it. Since playing it I have bought and played a number of games and none have been as good, but it definitely has got me back into gaming!

Thanks for posting your opinion on the game - and it's nice to see you here. wave

#1098745 - 01/29/17 09:13 PM Re: Dreamfall Chapters [Re: Mad]
oldbroad Online   happy
Addicted Boomer

I'm going to stick it out Jenny. I did resort to a video walkthrough two times so far when I got tired of wandering. I'm in Book 3 now playing as Zoe, just put the dream machine on. I do like Book 3 better than 1 and 2.

I like Kian's story much better than Zoe's and I don't care for Saga at all yet.

I also do not feel these Dreamfall games had anything to do with The Longest Journey. I believe I commented on that years ago, that it seemed they just put April in the game so they could call it a sequel.

Marian, have you played this? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
8 registered (oldbroad, Sherlock, GuybrushThreepwood, robedits, curly, Jenny100, looney4labs, Urban Worrier), 147 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Newest Members
GreatDetective, conrad32, Divyansh_Verma, jesblood, Meems
9014 Registered Users