GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Hardware Heads Up #1095380
01/05/17 09:39 PM
01/05/17 09:39 PM
Glennville, Ga., USA
Albert Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Albert  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Glennville, Ga., USA
Hey all,
I'm in the early stages of planning to build a new computer, and ran across some info I'll pass along. Basically, it looks like the Intel Skylake CPU's will be the last that will fully support anything prior to Windows 10. In view of the fact that the successor Kaby Lake CPU's just came out, it may be a case of get it while the getting is good if this matters to you. Even so, installing Windows 7 with a Skylake CPU is a lot more complicated than it used to be. The problem seems to be related to USB controllers and drivers, no USB mouse and keyboard during Win 7 install. The workaround is to build a new install media with third party USB 3 drivers. You can bet that kind of support will be a major factor on choosing a motherboard.

Anyway, here's a link to more info at Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

And a quote from that article:
Skylake is the last Intel platform to fully support versions of Windows earlier than Windows 10.[13]

Albert

Re: Hardware Heads Up [Re: Albert] #1095386
01/05/17 10:34 PM
01/05/17 10:34 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

The problem seems to be with installing Windows 7 from a USB drive and using a USB keyboard. Skylake processors apparently lack proper support for USB (unlike older processors). So that missing support has to be offered by Windows drivers, and the Windows 7 DVD doesn't come with those drivers by default.

Some motherboard manufacturers are offering help.
From http://www.asrock.com/microsite/win7install/
Quote:
Intel® N3000 Series SoC and 100 Series has removed their support for the Enhanced Host Controller Interface, so you might find it difficult to install your Windows 7 operating system since the USB ports won't work.

If you were originally planning to install Windows 7 with an optical disk drive and PS/2 keyboard and mouse then you won't be affected, if not, then let us show you how its done.

That Asrock webpage probably has good information for anyone planning to install Windows 7, even for those using a different brand motherboard.

Asus also has instructions for installing Windows 7 on their motherboards.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015837/
Asus actually has an installer to be used along with Windows 7.

New motherboards may or may not have a PS/2 port. You can keep that in mind when choosing a motherboard. It will make installing Windows 7 easier, though you'll still have to install the USB drivers at some point.

Microsoft didn't create the problem -- Intel did. But Microsoft took advantage of the problem by not offering drivers immediately. Even now it's best to get the USB drivers from the motherboard manufacturer -- and choose a motherboard where the manufacturer supports installing Windows 7 the way Asrock and Asus do.

Re: Hardware Heads Up [Re: Albert] #1095394
01/05/17 11:49 PM
01/05/17 11:49 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I've been reading about this too... Jenny, your comments pretty much put it all into a nutshell. I've always made sure my motherboards had a PS2 port - the last Gigabyte has a dual "green/purple" one. But I think they may get harder to find.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Hardware Heads Up [Re: Albert] #1095405
01/06/17 03:55 AM
01/06/17 03:55 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
There is a $1.00 USB to PS2 adapter that may help getting through the installation. When you are done just throw it in your box with your extra usb drives.

Last edited by Geo; 01/06/17 04:15 AM. Reason: Link didnt work
Re: Hardware Heads Up [Re: Albert] #1095459
01/06/17 11:20 AM
01/06/17 11:20 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I used to have one of those, Geo... heaven only knows where it is now! Probably in one of those boxes with extra junk!

Once again, weeds are my life!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users