GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1096110 - 01/10/17 02:18 PM Re: Black Dahlia install/play on Win 10 OS help [Re: Collector]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Wow !! How brilliant THAT would be !! happydance12

Fingers crossed then grin

Edited by Mad (01/10/17 02:20 PM)

#1096115 - 01/10/17 02:50 PM Re: Black Dahlia install/play on Win 10 OS help [Re: Mad]
Marian Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
That would be just great if you could find the time to do that, Collector! yes

#1096121 - 01/10/17 03:28 PM Re: still plugging away [Re: Jenny100]
Murphy Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Roswell, GA,USA
I tried working through with the video, but would always crash as I did before tweeking with DxWnd-at the end of opening scrool/before first FMV...genericSet error or the like. Now I was using a newer version of the DxWnd, but I pretty much just followed the checklist. I'm wondering if my install procedure is correct? I'm running Win10 on an Asus GL502vs with GEForce GTX1070.
1) should I install just regularly to win 10, or use compatibility for install? (I've tried XP-no luck. Also tried within VirtualBox running XP-nada.) 2) assume I apply patch 1.1 after install (any change to make there?) 3) have seen board comments elsewhere where after install, you change compatibility setting (uncheck something)...any thoughts? Happy to be lead by hand, lol, since there have been a variety of methods I've seen proposed, none easy or with mixed results. Thanks!

#1096173 - 01/10/17 09:22 PM Re: Black Dahlia install/play on Win 10 OS help [Re: Murphy]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA

According to the YouTube video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Hi5UMhkuQ

1. Do not use Windows compatibility settings when you install.

2. Install the patch from 1998.
If you download it from Patches-Scrolls, it will be called bdpatch.zip.
It will unzip to BDPATCH.EXE
Copy the BDPATCH.EXE file to the game folder before running it.

Don't use the Windows 10 compatibility mode.
Only use the compatibility in DxWnd.

Follow the YouTube uploader's instructions for setting up DxWnd.

Quote:
DXWnd settings below, sorted by tab:
==================
MAIN
Pos & Size = 0,0 - 1280 x 960

VIDEO
Hide multi-monitor config - ON

INPUT
Cursor Visibility - Hide
Slow down mouse polling - ON

DIRECTX
Version Hook - DirectX1~6
Emulation - Automatic

COMPAT
Fake Version - Windows 95
Set single core process affinity - ON

No compat settings on installer or game executable
If a setting is not specified, assume it uses default values

Originally Posted By: Murphy
Also tried within VirtualBox running XP-nada.)

1. This was not an XP game. Even Inferno had to tweak settings when she ran it on XP, and that was an early version of XP on a real computer, not VirtualBox which doesn't fully emulate every aspect of a computer -- especially not an older one.
***Inferno's XP Setup for Black Dahlia***

If you're trying to use a virtual machine, be sure to disable virtualization technology (VT) in the computer's BIOS/Setup if possible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_VT
VT is to make the virtual machine run faster, which is absolutely not what you want with a game from 1998.
You may want to try Inferno's suggestions for XP if you're using an XP Virtual Machine.

Virtual Machines used to work great, especially with Windows 98, but not so much anymore. Unlike DOSBox, VirtualBox and VMware don't control for speed.

Originally Posted By: Murphy
3) have seen board comments elsewhere where after install, you change compatibility setting (uncheck something)...any thoughts?

If you want to use Windows compatibility, don't use DxWnd.
If you want to use DxWnd, don't use Windows compatibility.

You may have to "Run As Administrator" on Windows 10 to get the game to install at all. Best not to if possible.

You may want to install to a location other than C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)

You find a lot of "solutions" online. They won't all work for everyone's computer. What worked on a computer 5 years ago may not work now. You have to experiment and see what works for your computer.

#1096224 - 01/11/17 09:29 AM Clarification... [Re: Jenny100]
Murphy Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks ever so uch, Jenny, for the specificity...Given the hinkiness of the game, I'm happy to try setting this in DxWnd, now that I have a touch of familiarity with it. If I'm reading your note correctly, you suggest not using any compatibility within DxWnd-just leaving it as whatever it defaults to?
Thanks also for the patch info also-I had not seen/missed copying it to game file before running!

#1096226 - 01/11/17 09:32 AM Re: Black Dahlia install/play on Win 10 OS help [Re: Murphy]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
No, it's Windows compatibility mode that you don't set.
In DxWnd you set
Quote:
COMPAT
Fake Version - Windows 95
Set single core process affinity - ON

Follow the DxWnd settings the YouTube guy suggested.
I quoted them in my previous message and they're also on the YouTube page in the area under the video.

#1096298 - 01/11/17 07:29 PM Re: Black Dahlia install/play on Win 10 OS help [Re: Murphy]
Lagavulin Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I am also a BD fan and would love to replay it, so I follow this thread closely. I on the other hand still use Windows 7 and I'm going to try this aswell. I presume that DxWnd will work under win 7 IF I should need it...?! Please tell how you progress in your quest!

#1097610 - 01/20/17 05:27 PM Re: Black Dahlia install/play on Win 10 OS help [Re: Murphy]
Murphy Offline
Settled Boomer

Well,after noodling around with it (and taking time away when it crashed, hehe), I did get this running through DxWnd. Yay!
Making allowances for it being an old game (graphically), it seems to work ok. It runs a little slowly, and is somewhat slow in panning around, or responding to commands. I'm hesitant to do much tweaking without guidance, as I could muddle through as is...
I took note of the comments re changing the .ini settings, which I take have to do largely with spinning cursor issues, etc. My query would be how to get to where you change the .ini settings? From a quick googling, I took this to be a configuration item-would this be a change impacting just this program? And how would you get there in Win10?
Cheers all!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
7 registered (Draclvr, catsmom, Taintedfury, fildil, curly, CaptainD, TLC), 73 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Newest Members
JDE, Zilvinas, MercyGround, ThJt, BrokenBunny
8913 Registered Users