GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#109676 - 09/29/05 05:08 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer

Registered: 09/05/02
Posts: 2235
Loc: Wilmington, DE
Betty, I didn't follow the walkthrough. I wouldn't worry about Esher not showing in Direbo... I only remember him appearing once there. The important meetings are in the other ages.

My guess is that you just have the islands in Direbo mixed up and are starting at a different island than the walkthrough takes.

Good luck.

Dadguy

Top
#109677 - 09/29/05 06:49 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Thanks DG, I will go back in at my last snapshot and proceed from there. Now I have to learn how to use my slate...!
Love, Betty Lou
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109678 - 09/29/05 07:32 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
OK, back to basics with me please. I understand how to put the slate up on the pedestal and how to draw a symbol and how to erase it. My problem is that I don't understand which symbol I am supposed to be drawing or where I find a clue that would tell me what to draw....for example, I can 'link' to Taghira by pressing the symbol on the pedestal and going there - the symbol on my left facing the pedestal, and the only symbol carved on the large stone surface below where the slate will go....is this the symbol I am supposed to draw? and where do I get a 'dictionary' of what each symbol means to the Bahro? They may know what it means, but I sure don't. To learn how to communicate with them I have to know what the heck I am asking them to do for me, don't I?
Thanks for the help.
Love, Betty Lou laugh
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109679 - 09/29/05 08:29 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
drdel Offline
Settled Boomer

Registered: 09/09/05
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Lou Brewer Jones:
OK, back to basics with me please. I understand how to put the slate up on the pedestal and how to draw a symbol and how to erase it. My problem is that I don't understand which symbol I am supposed to be drawing or where I find a clue that would tell me what to draw....for example, I can 'link' to Taghira by pressing the symbol on the pedestal and going there - the symbol on my left facing the pedestal, and the only symbol carved on the large stone surface below where the slate will go....is this the symbol I am supposed to draw? and where do I get a 'dictionary' of what each symbol means to the Bahro? They may know what it means, but I sure don't. To learn how to communicate with them I have to know what the heck I am asking them to do for me, don't I?
Thanks for the help.
Love, Betty Lou laugh
Hi Betty Lou wave
I'll try to give a few slate pointers while we wait for dadguy! laugh

First, the pedestals are a way to link around within a world, sort of like the linking books in other games.
What you want to do is look for other pedestals, say in Tregira, and check the symbols on them. Duplicate each symbol on your slate, one at a time, let the Bahro pick it up. If he understands your communication, he'll take the slate and put it on the pedestal with the symbol you've drawn. He'll also make a little mark on the original pedestal. It means you can link directly to the new pedestal from the original one.

Why is this important? Well, some places in these worlds you cannot take a slate yourself. For example, in Tregira after you get out of the ice cave, you'll find yourself at the bottom of a ladder. Try carrying the slate up it. You'll find you cannot do it. However, by checking the symbol on the pedestal at the top of the ladder, and duplicating that on a slate, you then drop it for the Bahro to pick up and you'll find that the Bahro is quite happy to link up to that pedestal and put the slate on it.

In some other worlds, you will be able to see the symbol on a pedestal from quite far away. Or, you'll be able to see a pedestal symbol which is not so far away, but just plain inaccessible in any normal way. No way for you to get there, except to etch that symbol on the slate, let the Bahro pick it up, and make a little link for you on the original pedestal of that world..then you'll be able to link there.


Second use of the slate. There are some special symbols around these worlds. They don't appear on a pedestal, but they will appear within a slate shape, for example, etched onto a cliff face. They are instructions to the Bahro to make something unusual occur, like heat, or rain. These symbols are for more than just making interesting weather; they are essential to solving the puzzles in these worlds. Once you've successfully drawn one of these symbols, you'll see a little copy of it recorded on the slate, so you won't have to draw it again, just erase anything on the slate, then touch the little copy, and the slate will redraw it for you if you need it again.

Top
#109680 - 09/29/05 08:41 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer

Registered: 09/05/02
Posts: 2235
Loc: Wilmington, DE
Well said, DrDel.

One last item, the "envelope" shaped symbol on the various pedestals never have to be drawn on the slate. This is the Pedestal #1 symbol. It is available automatically on every pedestal except Pedestal #1 (the first one you come to when linking from Direbo). This symbol is the link back to Pedestal #1 from all of the other pedestals in an Age.

Hope you enjoy the game!

Dadguy

Top
#109681 - 09/30/05 11:26 AM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Thank you so much Dr. Del and DadGuy for this help. Now let's go see if I can make use of your instructions in the Taghira Age, my first 'journey'..... laugh I will be back if I get stuck or am having trouble....thanks again :kiss:
Love, Betty Lou
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109682 - 09/30/05 06:54 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Ah, yes, your description of the slate and how to use it is excellent and thanks guys. Now I have a question SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER regarding the diagram in the hut of the pipe layouts and the blue and red circles at the pipe junctions - I assume this is a diagram of the (steam) pipes outside by the lake? What I don't understand is how someone playing the game can "see" the actual pipes laid out in this configuration unless a view of them can be seen from up high somewhere...and then if you cannot see them from a higher up view how do/did you make a decision which valves to turn and which way to turn them? I am in awe of anyone who plays these games without a w/t or guide to help them 'pick up' on such an obscure clue (at least it is obscure to me!). How did you guys figure that out please? And someone mentioned checking a 'pool' when turning the valve handles left or right - what pool? and where it is and how did you have enough time to check it after turning each valve? Doesn't compute for me I'm afraid..... think
Love, Betty Lou laugh
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109683 - 09/30/05 07:32 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
drdel Offline
Settled Boomer

Registered: 09/09/05
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Lou Brewer Jones:
Ah, yes, your description of the slate and how to use it is excellent and thanks guys. Now I have a question SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER regarding the diagram in the hut of the pipe layouts and the blue and red circles at the pipe junctions - I assume this is a diagram of the (steam) pipes outside by the lake? What I don't understand is how someone playing the game can "see" the actual pipes laid out in this configuration unless a view of them can be seen from up high somewhere...and then if you cannot see them from a higher up view how do/did you make a decision which valves to turn and which way to turn them? I am in awe of anyone who plays these games without a w/t or guide to help them 'pick up' on such an obscure clue (at least it is obscure to me!). How did you guys figure that out please? And someone mentioned checking a 'pool' when turning the valve handles left or right - what pool? and where it is and how did you have enough time to check it after turning each valve? Doesn't compute for me I'm afraid..... think
Love, Betty Lou laugh
I didn't actually look at the real pipes while adjusting the blue and red valves. I just figured it out directly from looking at the diagram in the hut. It's easy enough to see where a right or left turn on each valve will direct the water/steam.. well I thought so. smile

Top
#109684 - 09/30/05 09:23 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer

Registered: 09/05/02
Posts: 2235
Loc: Wilmington, DE
Betty,

The answer is that we try EVERYTHING. Considering combinations, we are like pitbulls, going back and trying something else if we don't get success.

Most folks don't have the patience, and get frustrated. I get DETERMINED!

Not that I don't use walkthroughs. I do. If it weren't for MaG, I'd be committed by now...

(Thanks MaG.)

Dadguy

Top
#109685 - 10/01/05 11:39 AM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
I did it! I 'beat' that (steam) timer and have my heat symbol on my slate, and can turn the heat on at will....my next problem is that I do not see a "path across the frozen lake" - I must be blind or something. It would be good if Bert had included a snapshot/picture of the starting point of this path, cause I am not seeing it at all! Any help hints nudges and/or shoves would be greatly appreciated.....
I have to admit that if I did not have a walkthrough for each and every one of these games I would never get very far at all....not tenacious enough I guess and just don't see a clue and how it relates to an action....it must be me! So glad you guys are here to help poor little ole me when I get stuck laugh rotfl
Love, Betty Lou :kiss:
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109686 - 10/01/05 01:59 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer

Registered: 09/05/02
Posts: 2235
Loc: Wilmington, DE
Betty,

Run the heat again to see the path. Then pick up the slate and take it with you. You will have 90 seconds to get across... don't fall off the path or you'll have to try again.

Dadguy

Top
#109688 - 10/01/05 06:02 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Thanks drdel, makes perfect sense. My next question is, if I have been successful with my drawing on my slate, and all the 6 valves up on the hill are set to the right, and I can see steam rising off across the lake, BUT I have not set the 3 blue dot levers to the correct positions, how do I reset those blue dot levers to r, l, l or do I have to 'backtrack' and start this sequence over again.....?
Love, Betty Lou
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109689 - 10/01/05 06:11 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
drdel Offline
Settled Boomer

Registered: 09/09/05
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Lou Brewer Jones:
Thanks drdel, makes perfect sense. My next question is, if I have been successful with my drawing on my slate, and all the 6 valves up on the hill are set to the right, and I can see steam rising off across the lake, BUT I have not set the 3 blue dot levers to the correct positions, how do I reset those blue dot levers to r, l, l or do I have to 'backtrack' and start this sequence over again.....?
Love, Betty Lou
Use your slate and heat symbol to have the Bahro turn the heat on..go over to the blue switches, they should come up when the heat is on..and just adjust them to the correct orientation. (I think! laugh )

Top
#109690 - 10/01/05 06:37 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer

Registered: 07/29/00
Posts: 11334
Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Nope, doesn't work that way. Found out I need to start this sequence over again, redraw my heat symbol, drop slate, wait for Bahro to accept and take it, turn to blue levers and set them correctly then run over to red ones and set them correctly also, and take another 'picture' to save where I am.....just dropping the slate to start the heat/steam does not do it cause the bacteria path does not grow where I need it to be. That's OK, will redo it in a bit, need a break for a bit now. Thanks for your help.
Love, Betty Lou
_________________________
I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"

Top
#109691 - 10/01/05 07:12 PM Re: MYST V End of Ages
Vanje Offline
Shy Boomer

Registered: 03/21/04
Posts: 44
Loc: home
I just started Playing This game and am liking it so far. However, as with ever Myst game I've tried I get stuck in the early puzzle in an age and can't solve it so the game remains unfinished for me.
Anyhow, I am at the frozen lake and have dropped the slate. When I go to the pipe area with the blue dots, I am having trouble manuvering the levers. Especially the first one it wont go to the right only left and center. I am using a cordless mouse, do you think that is the problem? Is there a saved game (to be sent) on this? my luck probably not!

Top
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >


Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
8 registered (manxman, kjos, OrleansBelle, LadyLinda, cailyn, ViktorTheBoar, aretha, 1 invisible), 73 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
ViktorTheBoar, ryan_khatam, BabyBloomer, denton9, TheProphet
8567 Registered Users