GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097476
01/19/17 07:33 PM
01/19/17 07:33 PM
Marietta, GA
Laurette Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Laurette  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Marietta, GA
Ok - you're the expert. I'm a bit confused. It appears you are recommending the EcollegePC. Where do I get this? Could I go to a computer store, with the specs you've given and have them help me, or is there a website to order from? Also, what do you think of HP, and do their specs meet these requirements?

Thank you so much for all your help.

It's not that I'm smart, I just stay with things longer." (approx. quote from Albert Einstein.)
Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097477
01/19/17 07:35 PM
01/19/17 07:35 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097486
01/19/17 08:06 PM
01/19/17 08:06 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I was just giving you as many options as I could. I couldn't post a link to that particular build at EcollegePC as I had to put the components together and then add to my shopping cart to get the specs.

You could get one anywhere you wanted. The chances of a store like Best Buy having anything to meet your specs would be slim. But you could always try if you wanted to stay local. Or maybe there is a shop near you that would build one for you. Or you could just order one from the internet at the HP or Dell website. You have lots of options and I would encourage you to do a little checking around and thinking about just what you want and need before you plop down this kind of money! Just look at the specs on the one I linked you to at HP - the specs are listed. Then compare them to some of the others.

EcollegePC probably has the best customer service and they do include a 3 year warranty on parts and labor. But I would suggest looking around a lot more...

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097487
01/19/17 08:14 PM
01/19/17 08:14 PM
Marietta, GA
Laurette Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Laurette  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Marietta, GA
Thank you both very much. Right now (this time of day) it's a bit much to absorb. But, with a little rest, maybe I'll figure it out.

It's not that I'm smart, I just stay with things longer." (approx. quote from Albert Einstein.)
Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097731
01/21/17 08:59 PM
01/21/17 08:59 PM
Marietta, GA
Laurette Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Laurette  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Marietta, GA
Draclvr: I've had some time to look over the info you sent. HP looks good, but EcollegePC sounds a bit better, and a little less expensive. The question I have now, is, say I purchase a computer from Ecollege, and something needs fixing. Do I take it to a place like Best Buy or what?

Thanks.

Also, regarding KVM switches. Are they complicated to set up? I've looked at photos and it doesn't appear they are, but...

Thanks again.

Last edited by Laurette; 01/21/17 09:05 PM.

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097734
01/21/17 09:56 PM
01/21/17 09:56 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
My 2 cents. As Jenny and Draclvr say the CPU is not the most important part in gaming,so you might want to consider getting a computer with an AMD processor instead of an INTEL.For example at sites like Cyberpower there is an significant drop in price for AMD computers.ECollege is probably the same.I have one of each and I cant detect any difference in fact I think the AMD might be faster.Also if you can wait for a holiday,any holiday no matter how minor you can get free shipping.

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097739
01/21/17 11:12 PM
01/21/17 11:12 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Whether it be Dell or HP or Cyberpower or eCollegePC - I would go on the search for a local computer repair business with good recommendations from their customers.

If you have a Dell or an HP or a Cyberpower or eCollegePC or whatever - if the computer needs hardware repair, you have to send it back to the manufacturer unless you take it to a local PC business. Sometimes with the major brands, the warranty is not valid unless you sent it back to them. With eCollegePC, if a piece of hardware is bad, they will send you a replacement part and you can either install it yourself or take it somewhere if you don't want to sent it back to them. I think it was Winfrey that had to get a replacement video card, but she was able to open the case, pull out the defective one and insert the replacement.

KVM switches are not hard to set up at all. But before you invest in one, take a look at your monitor. If it has two ports for a video cable, you may not even need a KVM switch.

As Geo says, the AMD components can be cheaper. I'm not familiar with them. There are those who say the Intel is better, but I'm not sure there is that much difference. And eCollegePC has free shipping no matter whether there is a holiday or not.

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097815
01/22/17 12:57 PM
01/22/17 12:57 PM
Marietta, GA
Laurette Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Laurette  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Marietta, GA
Thanks again for all the helpful information. Re my monitor's ports, am not quite sure where they would be (duh). There are two separate cables in back, but don't know if those are ports. (duh, again).

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097822
01/22/17 01:41 PM
01/22/17 01:41 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
One will be for the power cord and one will be for the video that connects to the video on your computer. The question is, do you have two video ports. If you don't want to try to take a look, do you have the documentation for your monitor that will tell you?

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097851
01/22/17 03:45 PM
01/22/17 03:45 PM
Marietta, GA
Laurette Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Laurette  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Marietta, GA
It appears the power cord is on the right hand side and the other two separate cords are on the bottom left in back of the monitor. And, no, I don't believe I ever had a manual or documentation for the monitor. It is a Hannspree, so I should be able to look it up on line.

Re: Recent/new game specs [Re: Laurette] #1097866
01/22/17 05:37 PM
01/22/17 05:37 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You should be able to look it up and see what kind of connections you have.

On my old monitor, I had my old XP computer hooked up to the VGA port and my Windows 10 computer hooked up to the DVI port. Pressing a single button on the monitor switched between the two monitors. I had a separate mouse for the XP computer, had my keyboard connected to my XP computer with the USB cable and the Windows 10 computer with a little WiFi dongle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Fogfighter), 264 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users