GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1111240 - 05/22/17 01:04 PM Re: Syberia 3 My Unprofessional Thoughts [Re: RichAlexis]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: RichAlexis
Common Sense Media may not be a site readily associated with adventure games (there is exactly one reference to it on this site), but I thought this looked like a worthwhile - though extremely critical, yet perfectly commonsensical review.

Or rather, I'm afraid this is the case:

Quote:
Fans of the series, prepare for a huge disappointment; this sloppy, poorly-constructed game undermines itself at every turn. There are so many issues, it's hard to know where to start -- with the thin story, bad pacing, and slip-shod puzzles? Or the stiff animation, bad voice-acting, and awful camera? It's a veritable buffet of badness that rewards your patience and tenacity with an unsatisfyingly nonsensical, cliff-hanger ending.

The most obvious problem is the interface. Items work differently (or not at all) depending on the situation, and this inconsistency makes using items downright painful. Further, finicky, contrived puzzle design means too often that you know exactly what needs to be done but can't manage to do it. Tasks seem designed to frustrate, with steps set as far apart as possible (which means lots of boring running), requiring objects placed in near-invisible locations. Movement is also frustrating, though the development team tried to deflect responsibility for it by including a pre-game message strongly suggesting you use a controller. Though the music is beautiful, and some of the environments and models give off a cool Jim Henson-ish kind of vibe, their effects are sabotaged by robotic animation and monotonous voice acting (there seems to be a single man and woman voicing every character in the cast). Again, worst of all, if you get through all the clunkiness and red herrings, you're rewarded with one of the least satisfying cliff-hanger endings in adventure game history. It was thirteen years between Syberia II and Syberia III. After this chaotic, discouraging let-down, will anyone wait another thirteen for Syberia IV?

* (one star)
Best,

Rich

Well I don't think the voice acting was universally bad.
I thought Kate was fine, and a few of the other characters were OK too. I didn't care for the over-the-top cartoon voices that were used for many of the other characters though.

I don't think all the puzzles were bad either, but they were made so much worse by the interface. And no hotspot-highlighter, which should be a standard option by now and is even more critical for 3D interfaces than it was for point-and-click because you have to be aimed the right way as well as being close enough to the object to interact. Otherwise it's too easy to think you aren't supposed to use an object you see onscreen to solve a puzzle, when in fact you're simply aimed wrong or a hair too far away.

And of course there should never be a cliffhanger on a game. It's not like the sequel will be ready the following week to resolve the cliffhanger. It takes years for a game. A plot device that may have worked for 1920's and 1930's movie serials and later for TV series and comic books isn't necessarily going to work for a game, where the wait time is orders of magnitude longer. It becomes more advantageous for the audience to write their own endings and forget about waiting years for a sequel that is only going to have a worse cliffhanger at the end.

#1111255 - 05/22/17 02:25 PM Re: Syberia 3 My Unprofessional Thoughts [Re: Jenny100]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: The Netherlands
Thanks for putting things into (pertinent) perspective, Jenny!

Rich

#1115370 - 06/26/17 11:48 AM Re: Syberia 3 My Unprofessional Thoughts [Re: GreyFuss]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Many thanks for your impressions GreyFuss! I'm not sure I liked the direction the story was planned to go in anyway so wasn't so excited about this release - your thoughts reflect many of the reviews which at one time I wouldn't have taken too much notice of & played anything anyway but I've now got too many games to catch up with along with more enticing offerings winking at me! lol

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jenny100, looney4labs 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
3 registered (CCbomber, Koala, Iurii), 101 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Hispoiema, MorpheusDev, NDFan1994, OlderGamer12, Fingon
8965 Registered Users