GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Mystery of the Druids #1111982
05/29/17 06:22 AM
05/29/17 06:22 AM
Australia
Mystic Falls Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Mystic Falls  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Australia
I was watching the History Channel and they mentioned The Druids.

I have the original game ... how can I play it on Win 8.1?

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Mystic Falls] #1112013
05/29/17 09:58 AM
05/29/17 09:58 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I've been enjoying another re-play of the game on and off for some time now but using the original disks I have to play it on my Win98SE machine.

Can't get it to run on any later operating system.

[I haven't tried things like DOSbox, though. I'm just not capable redface]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Mad] #1112015
05/29/17 10:03 AM
05/29/17 10:03 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I note that the game is for sale on Steam and it does say that it supports Windows 8, but there are numerous posts about the game crashing and not running well. It sounds like you would be better off trying to run the game on an older version of Windows, or using an emulator.

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Mystic Falls] #1112024
05/29/17 12:15 PM
05/29/17 12:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
You mention the History Channel...
Mystery of the Druids is not a historical adventure game -- no more than games like Black Mirror or The Scorpio Ritual. It's less "historical" than games like the Gabriel Knight series, which are at least based on real places and traditions. You won't be learning anything about real life druids by playing it, if that's what you're thinking.

To play the original CD version on Windows 8.1, you'd probably need to run it inside VMware Player using a Windows 98 VM. The first time you start the game you have the option of 2D or 3D. Choose the 2D option.

If you've never worked with VMware or other Virtual Machines before, they're more for people who enjoy tinkering (or don't mind it). They're not really for people who simply want to play one game (unless they have a friend or family member who is willing and able to set one up for them).

Mystery of the Druids is not a great game, though it had its moments, and back in 2001 there weren't many 3rd person adventure games available that were made for Windows.

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Marian] #1112031
05/29/17 12:43 PM
05/29/17 12:43 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I bought the Steam version as soon as they released it but it wouldn't work on either my WinXP or Win7 machines .... despite Steam saying (at that time) that it would crazy

"Run Time Error" was coming up as the culprit so the game had certainly NOT been tested sufficiently.

I, along with several others, reported the problem. But none of us were even afforded the courtesy of a reply - which I thought was pretty disgusting shame

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Jenny100] #1112058
05/29/17 06:06 PM
05/29/17 06:06 PM
Australia
Mystic Falls Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Mystic Falls  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Australia
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
You mention the History Channel...
Mystery of the Druids is not a historical adventure game -- no more than games like Black Mirror or The Scorpio Ritual. It's less "historical" than games like the Gabriel Knight series, which are at least based on real places and traditions. You won't be learning anything about real life druids by playing it, if that's what you're thinking.

To play the original CD version on Windows 8.1, you'd probably need to run it inside VMware Player using a Windows 98 VM. The first time you start the game you have the option of 2D or 3D. Choose the 2D option.

If you've never worked with VMware or other Virtual Machines before, they're more for people who enjoy tinkering (or don't mind it). They're not really for people who simply want to play one game (unless they have a friend or family member who is willing and able to set one up for them).

Mystery of the Druids is not a great game, though it had its moments, and back in 2001 there weren't many 3rd person adventure games available that were made for Windows.

Oh, I wasn't expecting the adventure game, Mystery of the Druids, to be "historical". I have owned the game since it first came out (2001) and played it back then when I had Win 2000. I just wondered whether there was a way to play it on my current computer (Win 8.1). Obviously there isn't a way around it without all the hassle.

Thanks anyway.

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Mad] #1112059
05/29/17 06:13 PM
05/29/17 06:13 PM
Australia
Mystic Falls Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Mystic Falls  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Australia
Originally Posted By: Mad
I bought the Steam version as soon as they released it but it wouldn't work on either my WinXP or Win7 machines .... despite Steam saying (at that time) that it would crazy

"Run Time Error" was coming up as the culprit so the game had certainly NOT been tested sufficiently.

I, along with several others, reported the problem. But none of us were even afforded the courtesy of a reply - which I thought was pretty disgusting shame

I played the game when it first came out and don't really wish to buy a Steam version. My laptop runs Win 7 and my desktop runs Win 8.1. I didn't have room to keep all my old computers so they went to the computer graveyard. I remember playing Mystery of the Druids and it wasn't all that "exciting", just that the thing I saw on TV reminded me that I have the game. Ah well. Thanks for your input, hope that you get the Steam version working. grin

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Mystic Falls] #1112061
05/29/17 07:20 PM
05/29/17 07:20 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

If the usual tweaks aren't working, like using Compatibility mode to install and play, it's probably not worth spending too much time trying to get the game to work on Windows 8.1. The box says it's for Windows 95/98/ME/2000, and apparently it worked on XP for some people. I don't know if anyone ever got the CD version working on anything newer though, and there may be an issue with 64-bit Windows.

If you want to remember what the game is like, there's a YouTube playthrough ***here***

If you think you might like to try setting up a Virtual Machine some day, hold onto the game.
I think most of the playthroughs of older Windows 95/98 games (from early 2000's and earlier) on YouTube are made using Virtual Machines.

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Jenny100] #1112091
05/30/17 04:03 AM
05/30/17 04:03 AM
Australia
Mystic Falls Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Mystic Falls  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Australia
Originally Posted By: Jenny100

If the usual tweaks aren't working, like using Compatibility mode to install and play, it's probably not worth spending too much time trying to get the game to work on Windows 8.1. The box says it's for Windows 95/98/ME/2000, and apparently it worked on XP for some people. I don't know if anyone ever got the CD version working on anything newer though, and there may be an issue with 64-bit Windows.

If you want to remember what the game is like, there's a YouTube playthrough ***here***

If you think you might like to try setting up a Virtual Machine some day, hold onto the game.
I think most of the playthroughs of older Windows 95/98 games (from early 2000's and earlier) on YouTube are made using Virtual Machines.

Thanks, Jenny.

I have all my adventure games here in their original boxes. Those were the days.

The excitement of a brand new Adventure Game about to be released was something else.

I don't know that being able to re-play some of the favourites would satisfy the getting older and with the aches and pains, less enthusiastic.

New games don't seem to "hit the spot" like they used to.

Re: Mystery of the Druids [Re: Mystic Falls] #1112161
05/30/17 02:56 PM
05/30/17 02:56 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Mystic Falls
I don't know that being able to re-play some of the favourites would satisfy the getting older and with the aches and pains, less enthusiastic.

It won't help with the aches and pains... and not all games hold up to a replay.
But some do, and though personal tastes may change over time, games that were "favourites" are more likely to hold up.

Originally Posted By: Mystic Falls
New games don't seem to "hit the spot" like they used to.

I think in general the old games were better. What they lacked in high resolution graphics they more than made up for in other areas. Not that every old game is great, but I think we had more selection and more options in the type of game we played.

Also I think not being able to browse a store shelf, or at least buy physical copy of a game online (as opposed to a DVD with a Steam installer on it) has diminished the enjoyment of the process of selecting and purchasing a game.

Adventure forums in general (not just this one) used to be much livelier. I think it's because there are fewer games being made that forum members are genuinely interested in and enthusiastic about.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (manxman, Draclvr), 415 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users