GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
GOG Download Problem #1113116
06/07/17 03:47 PM
06/07/17 03:47 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I just signed up for GOG and bought a game and am having trouble downloading the game.

I did download GOG Galaxy thinking that was needed for the download but can't seem
to get that to work either.

I get the message "Installer needs the next part (.BIN) file. Please specify the location
and click OK." There's more after that and will post it if required.

What do I have to do to download games from GOG.

Thanks,

Robert

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

-Dr. Seuss
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113134
06/07/17 08:02 PM
06/07/17 08:02 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Try this link at GOG and see if it addresses your problem... You do not have to use GOG Galaxy... there are 3 options including browser downloading. There is an option to choose which downloads are available.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/categories/201553005

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113190
06/08/17 09:43 AM
06/08/17 09:43 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I installed GOG.com Downloader.

I think I'm losing it - I still am unable to download the game Obduction. I went to the GOG website and selected Obduction - Part 1 of 3 and clicked on the setup file and have the same problem I noted before.

I moved the setup file into the same folder where the GOG.com Downloader is installed and still no luck.

I thought when the downloader window opened after installation it would show the games I have waiting for download but there is nothing.

I'm obviously doing something wrong but I guess what I need is a step by step procedure how to download games from GOG - if there is such a thing.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113199
06/08/17 10:22 AM
06/08/17 10:22 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
If I may ask, what was the problem you were having with GOG Galaxy?

The reason I ask is because if you use the GOG downloader, there are often several parts you have to download, whereas with Galaxy it downloads and installs the entire game at once. I find that more to my liking and less hassle.

You can find an instruction page for GOG Galaxy here.

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113205
06/08/17 11:20 AM
06/08/17 11:20 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I tried GOG Galaxy but when I tried to download part one of Obduction the file shows up on the lower left bottom of the screen (like most of downloads) and when I click on it I get a screen to:

Select "English" and the next window states "Installer needs the next part (.bin) file. Please specify the location of Part 1 and click ok. By default the files should be placed in the same folder as the installer itself. Please click Browse and specify the correct path.

Then it shows the path: C:\Users\Computer\Downloads

If I click ok an error window pops up with:

The file could not be located in the installer's folder. Please make sure that the file is in the correct folder, or specify its current location.

I tried moving the game file into the folder with GOG.com Downloader but that didn't help.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113208
06/08/17 11:32 AM
06/08/17 11:32 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
When you install a game from GOG Galaxy, you install the game from within GOG Galaxy.

Instructions:

Quote:
After you have installed Galaxy, please run it, and log in using your GOG.com account credentials - the same that you use on our website. Lastly, go to the Library tab in GOG Galaxy. You can switch tabs using the bar at the top of Galaxy window. Click on the game you wish to install, and you'll be taken to that game page. Here you have a few options, but click on INSTALL to proceed.

When it says to log in (in the first sentence above), make sure that you log into GOG Galaxy, not to the GOG website. The whole installation procedure is done within GOG Galaxy.

Keep us posted.

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113217
06/08/17 12:29 PM
06/08/17 12:29 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Marian,

Thanks, I was able to download the game using Galaxy.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113222
06/08/17 01:10 PM
06/08/17 01:10 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Great. Have fun with the game. smile

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113903
06/14/17 11:15 AM
06/14/17 11:15 AM
S
samuel Offline
Settled Boomer
samuel  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

dear Marian,i have the very same problem,my old,(gog downloader),does not want to download any longer,i have at gog
a whole library of 150 games,wich untill now i had no problems
downloading plus installing,and since the last 2 weeks,i went
to gog to download a game,just to find out that,it no longer works,and let me tell you i want to install,(gog galaxy),but it
says it works only on,windows 7 and up,and i have windows xp but despite all this i managed to install the,(gog galaxy),now please explain me how to try this out if it downloads,yes or no
if yes fine,if not i will let you know,then we have to start thinking another way,but for now give me a step by step instructions for trying to download
i thank in advance
samuel

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113905
06/14/17 11:29 AM
06/14/17 11:29 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
samuel,

I don't know if Galaxy will work correctly on XP. Just because it installs doesn't mean it will work properly. XP may be missing files that are included with Windows 7/8/10. I suppose it won't hurt to try though. Just keep in mind that if it doesn't work, it may not be fixable except by using something newer than XP.

But what you're supposed to do is start Galaxy, make sure you're logged in, and then it should show you your games under the Library tab.

Here are GOG's instructions from ***this page*** (I'm not sure if the link will work)

Originally Posted By: GOG
After you have installed Galaxy, please run it, and log in using your GOG.com account credentials - the same that you use on our website. Lastly, go to the Library tab in GOG Galaxy. You can switch tabs using the bar at the top of Galaxy window. Click on the game you wish to install, and you'll be taken to that game page. Here you have few options, but click on INSTALL to proceed. You will be presented with a new window, where you can change:
  • game language (only for supported games),
  • installation directory,
  • whether or not you want to create a shortcut,
  • auto-update options,

as well as read End User Agreement. To start the installation process click on CONTINUE. The game will be added to the side-bar on the left-side of Galaxy window. Installation progress bar will be displayed beneath the game title. Once it’s finished, you can click on PLAY to start the game.

I usually download directly, and you should certainly be able to do that with XP. Go to the GOG website, log in, go to your games library, click the game, and download options should appear.

You realize you shouldn't be using XP on the Internet, right? Unless you are a computer security expert and know how to lock down XP, you're going to pick up malware, some of which may interfere with installing games (among other things).

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: Jenny100] #1113908
06/14/17 11:44 AM
06/14/17 11:44 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thank you, Jenny, for all of that great help.

I just found this on a GOG forum. This would seem to suggest that trying to run Windows XP with GOG Galaxy is going to be problematic, if you can get it to work at all. Galaxy undergoes updates periodically and any incompatibilities that it had with XP will probably only get worse.

I am also not endorsing those patches, unless someone here that knows far more than I do tells you otherwise - I just thought it was worth noting that they had been created by someone.

There are some interesting comments in that thread, if one cares to know more; the last comment in the thread was two days ago.

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113915
06/14/17 12:15 PM
06/14/17 12:15 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I would choose the direct download option and then you won't have to deal with either of the GOG downloaders.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: Draclvr] #1113916
06/14/17 12:19 PM
06/14/17 12:19 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I would choose the direct download option and then you won't have to deal with either of the GOG downloaders.

That definitely seems the way to go.

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113922
06/14/17 01:38 PM
06/14/17 01:38 PM
S
samuel Offline
Settled Boomer
samuel  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

dear sir,you say about to download,directly,can you tell me how
to do it,i have no idea how,when you go to gog,i click "my library",then the site display,all my games,but only the name of the game,no files to klick on,the next step is,to slightly
left klick on the specific name of the game,you wish to download,then some options come up,1 of them is "view downloads",so you click on this,this brings to another site
where the word "MORE",is seen,then you left klick,on "more"
again options shows up,1 of them is,"gog downloader links"
then you click on it,another site opens up,on top page the name
of the game is listed,then below you see,a whole bunch of file
links,all games will have the same name,"windows installer"
once you left click it,if your downloader works,then download
will start,and if not,you can click hundret times nothing happens,bottom line i dont know,how to direct download
i thank in advance
samuel

Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: rmelone] #1113936
06/14/17 03:11 PM
06/14/17 03:11 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Samuel,

If you installed GOG Galaxy you should have an icon on your desktop.

If you open up that program (left double-click) you should see a 'Library' option.
Click on that option and you should see a list of games you bought.
If the game has already been installed you should be able to run it as the word 'installed' is part of the image for the game.
If not, click on the game and the next screen should have an 'install' option.
On the pop-up window I usually select 'create desktop shortcut' which makes it easier to run once the game is installed.
Select 'continue' and the game will begin to install (you can see the progress near the top of the window next to the 'more' button and also on the lower left of the screen.)
Once the game is finished downloading there will be a 'play' button on the GOG screen and you can start the game from there or, if you selected the 'create desktop option' earlier you can start the game from your desktop - which I find to be handy when I want to play the game(s) at a later date.

That's the way I installed three games, so far, from GOG. I'm running Windows 10.

I'm not sure that will help but that's the way I finally got GOG to work.

Good luck.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: GOG Download Problem [Re: samuel] #1113960
06/14/17 06:25 PM
06/14/17 06:25 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: samuel
you say about to download,directly,can you tell me how
to do it,i have no idea how,when you go to gog,i click "my library",then the site display,all my games,but only the name of the game,no files to klick on,the next step is,to slightly
left klick on the specific name of the game,you wish to download,then some options come up,1 of them is "view downloads"

You've gone too far off the track at this point.
The files should be visible as soon as you click the game name (or game picture).

As soon as I click the name of the game (or the picture for the game, makes no difference which), the GOG site the area for that particular game expands and the rest of the page grays out. In the bright area below the original picture and name of the game is...

The name of the game (repeated in larger size print)
"Try GOG Galaxy" in blue and MORE with a Dropdown (ignore both)

GAME DOWNLOADS

Files for the game are listed here.
There may be one .exe file or there may be an .exe file and one or more .bin files.

File sizes are listed on the right.
Also on the right is the option to choose which OS you want -- Windows, Mac, or Linux.

File names usually start with "setup_"
and end with .exe or .bin

Check the screenshot ***here*** for an example of what it should look like.

Originally Posted By: samuel
so you click on this,this brings to another site
where the word "MORE",is seen,then you left klick,on "more"
again options shows up,1 of them is,"gog downloader links"
then you click on it,another site opens up,on top page the name
of the game is listed,then below you see,a whole bunch of file
links,all games will have the same name,"windows installer"
once you left click it,if your downloader works,then download
will start,and if not,you can click hundret times nothing happens,bottom line i dont know,how to direct download

What you did would have downloaded the GOG downloader and started it (if it was still working with XP). What you want to do is download the game files, not the non-functional "downloader." The downloader will get you nowhere.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 377 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users