GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger #1114813
06/21/17 12:03 PM
06/21/17 12:03 PM
Michigan
Penny Lane Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Penny Lane  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I found this on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7Kl61tbQ4

Full instructions using your original disk. It works for me! I made a new folder for the game in my Users/Owner . But you can put a new folder anywhere you choose. He stresses click on "I will Install directX myself" This is vitally important. This is what made the difference for me. I hope this helps. Those of you who use a digital download will need different instructions which did not work for me. Good Luck!

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit..------ Lady Violet Crawley (Downton Abbey)

Marlene aka Penny Lane (Paul McCartney fan)
Re: I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger [Re: Penny Lane] #1114827
06/21/17 01:36 PM
06/21/17 01:36 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
That's great. I was actually going to show you those instructions, but we were discussing the game in the Adventure Games forum, so we needed to discuss it in the Glitches forum.

It's great that the older ND games still work on newer systems - you just need to know the different installation method.

Re: I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger [Re: Penny Lane] #1114834
06/21/17 02:15 PM
06/21/17 02:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Penny Lane
He stresses click on "I will Install directX myself" This is vitally important.

Yes, it is important not to try to install such an ancient version of DirectX on a modern computer (or even on an older one). Even when Windows 98 was my main OS, I didn't install the early versions of DirectX that were included with some 1990's Windows games (DirectX 6 and earlier). Often the older DirectX wouldn't even install (and might prevent the entire game from installing), but the oldest DirectX installers (like DirectX 3) might overwrite a newer DirectX and make a mess of your system.

The DirectX 9.0c on later games is different because there are so many versions of it with different versions of files, and the game may need a particular file that isn't included in all DirectX 9.0c installations.

It's nice that this guy went to the trouble of making a video on exactly how to install the games. He should be saying "install" and not "download" though. "Download" suggests he's getting the game from the Internet and not from a disc. You can "download" a file or files without actually "installing" them. Also he mentions that Stay Tuned stopped working for him for a while. I'm not sure why that would be unless it's just some Windows 10 glitch. It wasn't clear to me whether he adjusted compatibility mode or did something else to get the game working again, or whether it just started working again on its own.

He also doesn't mention patches.
The problem I had with Stay Tuned was not with installing, but was with a certain timed puzzle. The speed of the puzzle increased with your computer's processor speed. Since the game was made for 166MHz Pentium computers, the puzzle was way too fast on newer computers and needed a patch. Eventually the average user had a computer that was too fast for that patch too. If you're playing Stay Tuned, there is a newer patch on the HerInteractive website which seems to be from 2014.
https://www.herinteractive.com/support/game-patches/

Re: I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger [Re: Penny Lane] #1114841
06/21/17 02:44 PM
06/21/17 02:44 PM
Michigan
Penny Lane Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Penny Lane  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Marian, I followed the original "fix" that HER published a few years ago to make it work on my windows 7 but didn't work on windows 10. The problem I was having was clicking on install directX which I know now I wasn't supposed to do. I'm glad it was as simple of a fix as that.

Jenny 100, thanks for the info and link for the patch. Yes, the guy did use the wrong terms sometimes while instructing but I, being familiar with downloading/installing games, knew what he meant. Ha ha Anyway, I'm am going to install the patch right now and hopefully all things will work smoothly.

Thanks all of you! urock wave

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit..------ Lady Violet Crawley (Downton Abbey)

Marlene aka Penny Lane (Paul McCartney fan)
Re: I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger [Re: Penny Lane] #1114842
06/21/17 02:49 PM
06/21/17 02:49 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I recently played Stay Tuned for Danger without the patch and had no problems whatsoever with the timed puzzle. This was playing from my CD.

Re: I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger [Re: Marian] #1114843
06/21/17 03:16 PM
06/21/17 03:16 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Marian
This was playing from my CD.

What date was the CD? The early version I had certainly required the patch though later printings may have already been updated.

EDIT --
According to Mobygames, the 2001 release incorporated a "time extender" patch. Mine was the older release.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/nancy-drew-stay-tuned-for-danger/release-info

Re: I found a solution for installation of Nancy DrewStay Tuned For Danger [Re: Jenny100] #1114844
06/21/17 03:23 PM
06/21/17 03:23 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I played it from the Nancy Drew 75th Anniversary Limited Edition, which was released in September 2005 and comes with multiple CDs. I hadn't thought about it, but the game must have already been patched - that would explain it. I know that I didn't download the patch for it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (flotsam, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users