GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1114872 - 06/21/17 07:03 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Draclvr Online   content
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Going to pop in here again and then hopefully, the subject will fade away - again. As Anna says, this is a very biased article and presents only ONE side and is very biased. You can find articles that read like Steam is akin to the second coming. I read a lot of technical articles and follow and participate in several technical forums. My practice is to throw out the information that is completely biased on BOTH sides of the spectrum and try to read more balanced views. I then reconcile them with my own experiences and my experiences with game developers themselves. I know a good handful, but nothing like the contacts Anna has. They all have nothing but good things to say about Steam.

Why can't we just be grateful that we have more choices for games and use the methods and places that work for each of us? The rest is all just noise...

#1114879 - 06/21/17 08:13 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
Amen.

#1114914 - 06/22/17 04:43 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
CaptainD Offline
Settled Boomer

Don't forget Itch.io, GameJolt (which has now started selling games as well as hosting free ones) and Humble Store have plenty of adventure games on them.

#1114918 - 06/22/17 05:56 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Draclvr]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Draclvr

I think we gamers are very lucky to have both of them with so many gaming choices.

I agree with having choices yes

#1115047 - 06/23/17 10:23 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Mad]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Unfortunately as much as I'd like to buy DRM free games from sites like GOG newer games only seem to be available on Steam. Touchwood, I haven't had a bad experience so far & have quite a collection of games from them (not as many as from GOG) but it does annoy me that I have to be connected to the 'Steam Client' to play them. mad

Edited by chrissie (06/23/17 10:25 AM)

#1115051 - 06/23/17 11:14 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

But you DON'T have to be connected to the Steam client to play many of their games. Most games have an option to choose the "off-line" mode. Once you set it in the Steam client, you no longer need it to play. Of course, if there are any updates to the game, you won't get them.

#1115056 - 06/23/17 11:57 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Draclvr]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Thanks Draclvr - I'm glad I thought to post as I never realised that! smile

#1115083 - 06/23/17 03:48 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Claiming the author of the article is "biased" doesn't address his concerns. Of course he's biased, but so is everyone else who has an opinion. He talked about problems I hadn't heard of before (since I'm not a content creator). He's also not the only one who's raised the question about Steam's virtual monopoly on games being bad for gaming in general. You can find more articles on the subject with a web search. Monopolies are never a good thing, and everyone should be paid as contracted, not just some.

Here's an article by John Walker that outlines some of the problems developers face --> ***Link***. This kind of thing is probably more of a problem for first time developers.
Originally Posted By: JohnWalker
A game can be trashed by reviews before it has even been released, leaving a permanent mark on its record.

You'd think Steam could at least prevent something obvious like that. Be sure to read some of the comments to the article to see different points of view.

The original topic of this thread was where to buy new, DRM-free adventure games other than GOG. CaptainD mentioned itch.io and GameJolt, and Fireflower is back up again. But there is still the problem that nearly all "new" games (and many older ones) are never made available anywhere other than Steam.

This isn't choice.

Of course there is always the "choice" of not buying anything.
Is that what people want?
I think it's what's happening.

Has it really gone unnoticed that adventure game discussion forums seem to have almost dried up. Even AdventureGamers, which seems to be the most active English-speaking forum, doesn't get as much discussion as it used to. Gameboomers Discussion is mostly announcement posts and thank-you's.

So why is this? We used to have some good multi-page discussions about games people were playing, and not just complaints like with Syberia 3. Are the games most members want not being made anymore? Is there too much emphasis on dexterity now? Too much "consolitis" with gamepad-centric controls inappropriate for an adventure game? Did the lack of *real* boxed versions put people off the hobby? Is it due to lack of variety in subject matter? (something other than post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, survival horror, or cartoon comedy) Why is it that when we have any kind of "what are you playing" thread at Gameboomers that most people are playing or replaying older games? (I noticed this wasn't true for the Gameboomers' "Darkside" forum, which suggests the problem may have to do with dexterity requirements or poor/inappropriate controls in adventure games).

Whatever the reason or reasons, I think lack of game availability contributes, and eventually people just give up looking for new games and find a new hobby -- and stop posting in adventure game forums.

It seems clear to me that something is wrong, probably more than one thing.
But monopolies don't help.

#1115087 - 06/23/17 03:59 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Jenny100]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Administrator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Has it really gone unnoticed that adventure game discussion forums seem to have almost dried up. Even AdventureGamers, which seems to be the most active English-speaking forum, doesn't get as much discussion as it used to. Gameboomers Discussion is mostly announcement posts and thank-you's.

The discussions are alive and well, just not on forums. I am a member of many adventure game groups on FaceBook and there are plenty of lively discussions. Reddit is also full of them. Social Media is the new way of communication. The discussions haven't stopped, they just moved.

#1115089 - 06/23/17 04:42 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

I expect most of those Facebook members are younger gamers.
Not everyone believes in "social" media.

Do you really think everyone who used to post here went over to social media? Gameboomers had older members, most of whom won't be so quick to jump on what's pushed as the latest fad.

People used to come here because it was the only forum where they felt "safe" to ask things without being ridiculed. Why would they suddenly throw that out and go over to Facebook?

The actual number of gamers may be about the same, but I think the older members just leave gaming behind. They aren't around any more to say "these are the reasons I left." It's a waste of their time.

#1115091 - 06/23/17 04:59 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Administrator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
You'd be surprised at the older members that are now strictly on FB. I still chat with at least 70 or more people that used to post here. They exclusively do FB now. They like it. Most of them still "look" here and get news, but they post on FB. Social Media is huge. THere is a whole world out there. Many groups are closed groups, if you don't behave you can get blocked just like a forum. You also can't see what many of them say unless you join. Just because things are on FB doesn't make it public.

Truth is, times change and you have to change with them if you want to stay informed. I would never be able to do my PR work or stay in touch with many developers if not for social media.

#1115097 - 06/23/17 07:03 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

I am sorry to hear that.
Clearly there is a problem, though it may not be the one I originally thought.

People are made to think their private information is "safe" on Facebook, but Facebook's record is actually poor.

One of my former classmates was a showoff and claimed to be able to break into any Facebook account within two minutes. With the students who took him up on his boast, his time was less than 20 seconds. This was late last year, and the problem wasn't that the passwords were being used elsewhere or were weak passwords. There was some flaw in the Facebook setup that he knew how to exploit.

I wouldn't trust FaceBook to keep an account safe, and they're also a huge target for identity thieves.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consume...book-and-other/

#1115101 - 06/23/17 07:56 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
You'd be surprised at the older members that are now strictly on FB. I still chat with at least 70 or more people that used to post here. They exclusively do FB now. (...)
Truth is, times change and you have to change with them if you want to stay informed. I would never be able to do my PR work or stay in touch with many developers if not for social media.
Ana, I can see your point and I believe you're right, but I really don't like the situation.

I used to be on a number of dedicated forums, like the Internet Movie Database, a few news sites, and other ones on computers, music, TV etc. There is far less activity now, and actually most of these have closed down, like IMDB, because of decreasing use as I said, the falling level of discussion (far too much abuse and spam), and the reluctance of those sites to spend time and money on moderation.

The reason I liked them and still do, is that they are devoted to one subject, and isn't one humongous database like FB that registers and exploits every single family and other social relationship you have, all your actions, interests, hobbies, jobs, convictions, purchases etc. Even if you're not that active on FB (plus Twitter, Instagram etc.), you can count on your actions, likeness and ideas getting shared 'passively' by others, and I really believe this is a potentially a very dangerous and therefore undesirable situation, whatever precautions you take, and however carefully you create and shield your groups.

Because large groups of people no longer want to pay for services, media or information (I'm generalizing here, but it's definitely a race to the bottom, and with 3D printers you even enter the physical domain), you get a situation where every bit of data needs to be harvested, integrated and exploited to the hilt by the companies that provide them, and this is why I still rely on email, phone calls, dedicated forums, moderated comment sections, feedback forms and the like, even if fewer and fewer people I know do so ....

Of course, i realize the irony of the fact that the dedicated forums I am speaking of, like this one, were/are free too, so I'm guilty of this trend as well, like all of us are I think, up to a point.

Best,

Rich

#1115104 - 06/23/17 08:09 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Jenny100]
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Wow, this thread got really interesting while I had my head turned. Jenny, I appreciate your perspective since you are not only a member here but also a Moderator. I hope it is not true that people have drifted away from gamer conversation groups in favor of FB. I use FB to keep in touch with friends in many foreign countries, but I don't play games through that site. Also, I don't use my real name, real birth date, etc., nor do I list the city I was born in or now reside in. Basically, I give them barest information possible to still register, and whatever I do have to give is an alias. I fully expect at some point that my account will be hacked, and I hope by staying anonymous to hamper any attempt to steal my identity.

I am one of the "older 'Boomers," I suppose. I think I joined GameBoomers in 2000, but don't remember exactly. I just turned 70 this year. I have been playing computer games since the first simple ones were issued. Nothing ever turned me away until they began to force the RPG and action elements on us in the last few years. It started with just a few things here and there (Remember when the last KQ games turned RPG?). This trend evolved and increased to where you almost can't find an adventure game now that doesn't have timed sequences or the need to fight or shoot, and at the same time, there is some evil presence tracking you, and to add to this, there has been an increase in gratuitous and graphic gore. There now is more emphasis on this stuff than I look for in an adventure game.

In an RPG game, I expect to be rushed, to have to duel, to be bushwhacked, to be sucker-punched. I've played a few, and they have their appeal as well. But in an adventure game, I don't want this. I want to take my time, explore, help people, solve intricate puzzles, and maybe learn a little about some other place or culture. Early games, like Myst, Zork, KQ and the rest were what I cut my gaming teeth on, and I loved them. Through the decades since, I don't think I've missed many adventure games, until they started to turn so "dark" that it was a grim task to play one. As far as the jumping/fighting/shooting thing being so big in adventure games now, it means that most games don't appeal to me anymore. I still remember how I looked forward to Dreamfall for a year, and bought it, only to find I could not play 15 minutes of it without being overcome with motion-triggered nausea, nor could I get through the tutorial on how to jump and fight and kick.

I get it that there probably are more players who like to be scared, rushed, threatened, and made to run through rivers of blood. I get it that players like me are in the minority, and that most of the money and game designing goes to satisfy the Xbox Boys and others like them. So, yeah, maybe the gaming industry has turned its back on slow-paced old fogies like me. I can't change that. There aren't enough like me. So, like others, I replay old favorites that have been reformatted to run on Win10 (hence looking for other sites than Steam who might sell them). I also play casual games more than I did 10 years ago. And I wait, and wait, and wait for the occasional gem like Lost Crown or Oak Island to come along. I just think it is a shame that there wasn't room enough, or it wasn't profitable enough, in the game industry to keep basic adventure games thriving.

#1115119 - 06/23/17 11:42 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Reenie, good post. This post definitely took a turn for the worse, in my opinion anyway. I have always failed to understand why the mere mention of the word "Steam" generates such negativity and insistence that they are ALL bad. There is plenty of negativity that they deserve, but they are also one of the reasons we gamers have more choices than we would have without them. I have no doubt there are as many horror stories from developers as there are positive ones such as the developers I've dealt with.

Bottom line is use them or don't. I fail to see the problem with those of us who have no issues with Steam or GOG. If you are one of the many who loathe Steam for good reasons, fine. If you're one who doesn't like me, fine. Sheesh...

As many of you know I am also an administrator at Mystery Manor. We have been around since 2002 and are a teeny tiny little corner of the gaming universe which has become teenier and tinier with each passing year. Guess where many, many of our members are now posting... Facebook. We are all older - I will be 70 this year and most everyone else is in the 50 - 70 year old range. I'm part of a private FB group of old friends from the good old days of the Dreamcatcher forums. We are not stupid. We know nothing is safe or sacred on Facebook, but that doesn't mean we don't have a rich and interesting presence there. I also follow some great Reddit gaming discussions. And just like using Steam and enjoying their content, if you don't like or believe in social media, don't use it. I do and will continue to do so even though I'm old. Personally, I fail to see that is a problem.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
5 registered (Laurette, Winfrey, 3dobermans, mrbill, Draclvr), 106 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Georgia, Hispoiema, MorpheusDev, NDFan1994, OlderGamer12
8966 Registered Users