GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1115859 - 06/30/17 08:39 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Cari Offline
Settled Boomer

Dismissing a member’s opinion as ‘nuts’ is not the kind of language I have come across in my years as a member.
This is a fact from Valve less than two years ago.
Quote:
“Around 77,000 accounts [are] hijacked and pillaged each month". "Enough money now moves around the system that stealing virtual Steam goods has become a real business for skilled hackers," Valve says.

#1115877 - 06/30/17 10:37 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Administrator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
You neglected to say the most important part of the article Cari, which states how they solved the problem with the two-step authenticator that I have. Nothing can be done on my account without my approval via a code sent to my phone. When using data, it is very important to use current data, because technology is updated daily. What may have happened two years ago, is a far cry from what is happening today. Steam article.

Once again, this is not a steam thread. Please stay on topic.

#1115878 - 06/30/17 10:38 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Draclvr Offline
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
I'm sorry, but implying that Steam game downloads are apt to be infected is just not true. Steam deserves a great deal of the criticism it receives, but it is still an option for those of us who download our games. I certainly prefer a disk, especially with my horrid internet connection, but if I want to continue gaming, I will have to accept some compromise on my part. I also download games from GOG and Big Fish. I build and work on computers for other people, so am not a novice to computers and how to use them safely.

As for your quote, you might want to mention that this is dated December 2015 which is when hacking of Steam accounts skyrocketed following the introduction of Steam Trading.
Quote:
Therefore, it's taken steps to improve security and close loopholes. The developer also says it's improved how and when it informs users that their account is at risk and has introduced a self-locking system and two-factor authentication through Steam Guard.

Love Steam or hate them, they are another option for buying adventure games as the original poster asked.

#1115911 - 06/30/17 03:31 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Cari]
Jenny100 Online   content
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Cari
Dismissing a member’s opinion as ‘nuts’ is not the kind of language I have come across in my years as a member.

I agree that was harsh.
And you're right that Steam is a target -- moreso than other game download sites because of the trading of virtual goods they've implemented (and money involved) as well as because of their size. Valve/Steam has said so themselves.

Computer and website security is an ongoing process. It is never solved for good, no matter what may be claimed by advertisers. The bad guys are very clever at finding new vulnerabilities, both in website software and in the Internet system itself. The Internet was not developed with security in mind -- security wasn't a concern in the early days of the Internet -- and thoroughly patching it without breaking it is a huge job that may not be possible.

Steam has a grade of F at BBB, mostly due to poor customer service and reneging on promised refunds, and that's from January this year, not two years ago. You can read the "pattern of complaint" at BBB ***here***.

It's not likely the game downloads are infected though -- at least not beyond the usual monitoring that comes with using the Steam client.
Infected downloads usually come from websites that offer "free" games. For example this...
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/303896/infected-with-game-house-games-pop-up-window/

Quote:
Therefore, it's taken steps to improve security and close loopholes. The developer also says it's improved how and when it informs users that their account is at risk and has introduced a self-locking system and two-factor authentication through Steam Guard.

Steam Guard is "two step" authentication, which is not the same as "two-factor"
Two-factor specifically means one each (not two the same) of any two of the following

something you know (passwords)
something you are (fingerprints, retina scans)
something you have (security tokens) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token

Steam Guard is "two step" authentication -- two "something you knows" -- not "two factor"

Security experts have stated that "two factor" authentication is very safe, so advertisers have subverted the definition and conflated it with "two step" by calling it "two factor authentication using SMS." Steam isn't the only online website guilty of this by any means. Just be aware that Steam Guard and similar systems that use SMS or email aren't true "two factor" authentication. SMS has multiple vulnerabilities, and the difference in security between true "two factor" authentication and using SMS is huge. An SMS message on whatever smart phone you receive the message on is no substitute for a real security token.

#1115923 - 06/30/17 05:49 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
JDE Offline
Shy Boomer

Please excuse me,but what is DRM?

#1115924 - 06/30/17 05:59 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: JDE]
Jenny100 Online   content
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA

Originally Posted By: JDE
Please excuse me,but what is DRM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

#1115929 - 06/30/17 07:29 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
mbday630 Offline
Settled Boomer

I just like the option of buying games online. I agree with Drac - buyer beware. We have to have some smarts about buying games online. In fact, Drac told me about now keeping your Visa card that they have your number. I always pressed that "remember me for next time" button. silly me.

#1115960 - 06/30/17 11:36 PM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
JDE Offline
Shy Boomer

Thank you.

#1115987 - 07/01/17 08:52 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
Cari Offline
Settled Boomer

I don’t hate Steam though I admit I don’t like monopolies as they hardly work for the consumers benefit and try to illuminate all choice, but I agree with Ana that its nice to see the developers getting paid for their work at last.
I quit Steam because my PC sometimes carries confidential info, nothing to do with me but related to the nature of my job.
My previous post was to stress the need of backing up your files. A simple way to protect them should the worst happens, nothing more than that.

#1116963 - 07/08/17 11:25 AM Re: Buying options for adventure games [Re: Reenie]
LeBelleRachael Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Barrackstadt, Arcadia
Well I think everyone has made some good points. But I agree with Anna that Steam is good for Developers, which is good 4 Games. happydance If Steam hadn't been doing alot of stuff right, they would not be as big as they are! I like the way they promote new games. thumbsup If developers can't make money...they won't be making Games! hearts And there have been a lot of sleazy distributors in the past!

On the other hand, Steam is a little 2 Big and a little 2 monopolistic, a little 2 "Big Brother" at times. cry We need to patronize more quality competitors to even the playing field!
razz

Edited by LeBelleRachael (07/08/17 11:30 AM)

GLaDOS

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
11 registered (Leeana, mrbill, jimrh69, judith, kazzmo, curly, linda333, lindy236, deleterman, misslilo), 113 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Hispoiema, MorpheusDev, NDFan1994, OlderGamer12, Fingon
8965 Registered Users