And we are off again.
In case you have forgotten or are new, our annual list provides the answer to the question "If I want to play an adventure game, what should I play?".
I started it years ago for the self-serving purpose of knowing the answer to that very question. It has been a valuable resource, and not just for me, as well as a bit of annual fun.
Since we began, we have increased the number of recommendations you can make, given the proliferation of indie and downloadable games, and we introduced the Hall of Fame, to identify those games that always went well so they didn't need mentioning. It also made room for newbies.
Before I get to rules, let me confirm that I promised I wouldn't mention Isabelle, so I wont.
So what are the rules?
1. Games in our Hall of Fame are ineligible, for the reason identified above (ie we know they are worth playing else why would they be in the Hall of Fame). Votes for those games won't be counted. Those games are:
Broken Sword 1 (Circle of Blood, Shadow of the Templars)
Dark Fall: The Journal
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
Zork Grand Inquisitor
2. You can recommend a maximum of 20 games. You can choose to recommend less.
3. You cannot recommend a series. If you want to recommend all the Tex Murphy games, that will take separate recommendations, one for each game.
4. Episodic adventures will be counted as one game, regardless of where they are up to in the series.
5. Uru and its add ons will be counted as one game.
6. BadMojo and the Redux version are one game. Ditto any other spruced up releases (eg RHEM 4)
7. Directors cuts and Special Releases will be counted as the same game.
8. Adventure games only (Dark Side games and Casual games get their own lists).
9. PC games please (although if you sneak a console game in I won't tell)
If at all possible, please list in alphabetical order - it makes counting so much easier. In doing so, ignore "the" (so The Dark Eye would be under "D" for Dark)
The thread stays open for about 3 weeks, and I will (endeavour to) post updates and insights as we go. Please avoid editing your lists after posting because Chief and I count as we go, and may miss a change.
have fun thumbsup