GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1124710 - 09/12/17 10:30 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
Hi Jenny. That didn't work but I did what that person had written for playing in Windows 7 except I did it in the XP. I changed my screen resolution (right clicking) and tried all 3 settings available in the game launcher. The 800x600 seemed to work fairly well but not completely. I still couldn't read some things. I got out of the game and put the visual themes and advanced text services back and now the game seems to be working fine. Not sure if it will get me through the whole game or not and maybe I will have to play in short spurts. I don't know, but I'm going to give that a try. That person who wrote about playing in Windows 7 did say for him/her it was the 800x600 but I didn't read it to mean that's what it should be set at, just that that was his/hers.

Anyway, I also found my monitor manual and it mentions something about Wide Mode (Full/Aspect) so maybe it does scale but I did not try it.

Thank you for your help. I'll update this later as I see what happens.

#1124714 - 09/12/17 11:02 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Anyway, I also found my monitor manual and it mentions something about Wide Mode (Full/Aspect) so maybe it does scale but I did not try it.

If it's like mine, you'd want it set to Aspect.
Otherwise the picture gets horizontally stretched.

Good luck with the game.

#1124718 - 09/12/17 11:42 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

So, if I decide to play with the monitor, Aspect is the best setting for everything? You don't mean just for this game right? I would not want to be changing it back and forth is what I'm getting at I guess. It's an Acer 23in G237HLbi 1920x1080 flat panel 5ms.

Thank you.

Edited by oldbroad (09/12/17 11:46 PM)

#1124757 - 09/13/17 10:56 AM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Aspect should make the viewing area in a game as large as possible without stretching them horizontally. You probably won't see any difference for games with a widescreen setting, but older games that were made for a CRT monitor won't have a stretched picture.

Here's a sample picture
http://i.imgur.com/Uk4sR.jpg

The game in the picture is supposed to be in 4:3 aspect ratio. The top picture shows the "Aspect" setting, where the 4:3 aspect ratio is retained and you have the black bars on the sides.

The bottom picture shows the "Full" setting, where the 4:3 picture is horizontally stretched to fill the 16:9 monitor screen -- characters look fat, objects like the chairs look warped.

#1124782 - 09/13/17 12:42 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

OK, thanks Jenny. I don't think that stretched out picture looks bad though. Maybe just because the pic is small and I can't tell. I guess I'll have to try it to see for sure.

#1125665 - 09/21/17 12:05 AM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well, I haven't played too much of the game yet but have gotten a little further. It's looking like if I play for an hour or so then it starts to act up. I can live with this if it will get me through the game. I don't know. We'll see I guess.

I can't see in my Windows 7 how to change the monitor settings. I find the buttons but don't know how to move anywhere and don't actually see anything about scaling in the monitor menu. I don't want to change my desktop screen resolution on the Windows 7 to 800x600 to even try it. I am afraid I will not be able to change it back.

Hopefully, I'll come back in here one day to let you know I was able to finish the game in the XP!

#1125708 - 09/21/17 12:16 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

I can't see in my Windows 7 how to change the monitor settings. I find the buttons but don't know how to move anywhere and don't actually see anything about scaling in the monitor menu.

The monitor controls for scaling would be built into your monitor -- you push the buttons on the monitor and navigate through the popup menu. If I understand what you said earlier, your monitor has selections for "Aspect" and "Full" and doesn't mention "scaling." You'd choose "Aspect" to retain the aspect ratio of the game and not stretch it to a widescreen monitor.

Video card settings for scaling would be accessed through the video card's software. Sometimes Nvidia puts an icon in your taskbar so you can access the controls quickly, or sometimes a selection for Nvidia controls is in the right-click-on-the-desktop-where-there-is-no-icon menu.

If you don't care whether your picture is horizontally stretched or not, you don't need to configure scaling settings -- either on your video card or on your monitor.

I don't want to change my desktop screen resolution on the Windows 7 to 800x600 to even try it. I am afraid I will not be able to change it back.

The problem with reducing your desktop resolution is that if you have a lot of desktop icons, they'll get rearranged in order to fit. It's extremely unlikely that you wouldn't be able to restore your desktop resolution back to what it was, but putting your icons back the way you want them can be a nuisance.

It's looking like if I play for an hour or so then it starts to act up.

If the game is playing OK for an hour, there's probably not much you can do other than try different video drivers (probably older ones) and see if they are any more stable. Most tweaks suggested in this thread are for if the game won't start at all or crashes when you load a game.

#1125723 - 09/21/17 03:04 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: Jenny100]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
"It's extremely unlikely that you wouldn't be able to restore your desktop resolution back to what it was, but putting your icons back the way you want them can be a nuisance."

I've used a little programme called "Icon Restore" for years.
It's on my Win98. WinXP and Win7 machines - is very simple to use and VERY handy thumbsup
[It's also available for Win10 - which I don't have.]

#1125753 - 09/21/17 09:07 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Jenny - I'm sorry that there are some things I am more dumb about than others but this "you push the buttons on the monitor and navigate through the popup menu" is what I don't know how to do (the navigating part).

The Nvidia card is in the XP and I didn't see any scaling options in there. The screen really doesn't seem too stretched. It is not bothering me. Just losing the text is the problem.

I shouldn't really have said that I'm afraid I won't be able to change the Windows 7 back to normal if I changed it to 800x600 but I have a lot of icons on my desktop and they would not be visible and would probably leave little clear area to right click the desktop, and I have had to rearrange them on several occasions for some reason or other when they've gotten out of wack. It would be nice to play the game in 7 but XP is fine if it will keep playing.

You said my XP video card may be too old for the game so why would I go with older drivers? I am not online with the XP anyway and not going to worry about the drivers in there.

It is the Win 7 where the game won't start at all.

Thanks Mad for that info.

Anyway, I really was just updating because I said I would. Not really looking for additional help. Sorry. duh

#1125767 - 09/21/17 11:07 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Jenny - I'm sorry that there are some things I am more dumb about than others but this "you push the buttons on the monitor and navigate through the popup menu" is what I don't know how to do (the navigating part).

It takes some experimentation. I liked it better when monitors had more buttons instead of the "On Screen Display". Usually there are Menu, Select, Forward, and Back buttons, and you have to doodle with them until you figure out how to navigate. One of my monitors has a button labelled "Input" instead of "Select." I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I have to "relearn" the buttons every time I use them -- start with Menu and mess around. If you're satisfied with your aspect ratio, just leave them alone.

The Nvidia card is in the XP and I didn't see any scaling options in there. The screen really doesn't seem too stretched. It is not bothering me. Just losing the text is the problem.

Losing text would be a different problem than scaling.

You said my XP video card may be too old for the game so why would I go with older drivers? I am not online with the XP anyway and not going to worry about the drivers in there.

It is the Win 7 where the game won't start at all.

I wasn't clear on which computer it was playing on.
The reason to try older video drivers on an older video card is that Nvidia likes to lump drivers for new cards in with drivers for older cards -- and they're usually optimized for the newer cards.

If you're satisfied with how it's doing now, no need to change anything though.

#1128816 - 10/19/17 07:27 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: Jenny100]
Marian Online   content
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I decided to try to run this game today on my Windows 7 Pro computer; the last time I tried to run the game, I was using Windows 7 Home.

I created a new folder in Documents and made that the destination for installation of the game. No problems with installation. I then started up the game from the desktop icon and it runs perfectly. I didn't even have to change my screen resolution, which is set to 1920 x 1080.

#1128822 - 10/19/17 09:09 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hm. You're making me want to try it again. I am still trying to play in XP but don't get to it very often. A bit worried I'll run into more puzzle problems that I can't see. Actually, after I solved the last one with the help of the video w/t (as stated in the hints forum) I got stuck and haven't been back in there. smirk

#1128827 - 10/19/17 09:41 PM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: oldbroad]
Marian Online   content
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I can't explain why it runs so easily for me (and now on both Windows 7 computers), as I know some people have had problems.

I've actually spent most of my free time the last few days troubleshooting various games rather than actually playing anything. I've had more hits than misses, but there are still a few problematic ones that I am working on. Lots of googling, reading forums, etc.!

Pretty soon I may actually play one of them. lol

#1128841 - 10/20/17 03:03 AM Re: Dead Reefs [Re: Marian]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Awwww !! Well I hope you get to play one very soon, Marian kissy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (Marian, InlandAZ, Marinus_Louis, Redz, RebKean, Mikael, Draclvr, TLC, fildil, michele rose), 201 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Marinus_Louis, tuna, danait13, mozkito314, LeonDaydreamer
8972 Registered Users