The instructions say:
1. Insert CD#1 into your CD-ROM drive.
2. Type D:INSTALL [ENTER] (where D: is the drive letter of your CD-ROM).
3. Type in the hard drive letter and directory where you wish to install, then press [ENTER].
4. Click the INSTALL button. Installation begins.
5. If the install was successful, press the OK button, then select SOUNDCARD SETUP from the menu.
6. Choose your sound card from the list on the left of the screen. (If you don't know your sound card, press AUTODETECT CARD. Note that this may not always work.
7. Select your PORT ADDRESS, IRQ and DMA settings from those on the top right of the screen. (If you don't know your sound card settings, press AUTODETECT SETTINGS. Note that this may not always work.
8. To verify the card and settings selection, press TEST CURRENT SETUP. You should hear a sample played. (If the computer locks up at this point or you hear nothing, then the settings may be incorrect. Reboot your computer, change to the directory where you installed "The Dame Was Loaded," and type SETUP [ENTER].
Anyway, if she just got a black screen while she was trying to run the install, it sounds like a VESA problem. If she got all the way up to #5, but couldn't get the sound card to test properly, something like VDMSound might help.