GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1131300 - 11/10/17 12:36 AM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: SharonB]
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Delaware, USA
Jenny I'm not sure what I have. I do know that my hdmi cable does not fit this second port. I found my sale invoice for this computer and it says I have HDMI and DVI ports on my graphic card. My computer monitor was bought separately and I don't know where the paperwork is for that. I know I have one HDMI port and the other port looks like vga (on the monitor) to me but I'm not sure. How can I tell? My monitor is a 27 inch Samsung bought in 2013 I believe soon after I got this computer. I looked under devices in control panel and it just says generic pnp samsung monitor.

#1131347 - 11/10/17 11:45 AM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: SharonB]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Display ports look very similar to HDMI ports, but of course the cables don't fit. Here's a picture of the most common Display Port and HDMI port
https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/03/displayvshdmi_primary-100028825-large.jpg
If you look closely, you can see the HDMI port is symmetric while the Display port is not symmetric.

My video card has one display port, one HDMI port, and one DVI port. My monitor also has connections for these three ports. Some expensive video cards have multiple HDMI or Display ports and some may lack DVI ports.

Anyway, when you said your cable didn't fit, I was wondering if you were trying to fit an HDMI cable in a Display port. I've done that, not realizing they were different ports until I looked closely.

#1131439 - 11/11/17 01:40 AM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: Jenny100]
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer

Jenny, I looked at the back of the computer again and you're right. There are 3 ports. One is DVI, one HDMI and I'm assuming the other is the display port. It does look like an HDMI port. I have now sent off for a displayport to HDMI cable, so we'll see how this goes. It should come Monday. Thanks for your help.

Draclvr, yes this is good news for anyone with vision problems. I'm really happy with the setup. happydance

Edit: slapforehead Got a text message that my cable was delivered to my door. It came by USPS, but they didn't knock or ring. Checked and the package wasn't there. Bummer! Can't contact them because it's Sunday. Left a message with the seller and will call the PO tomorrow to let them know. They probably delivered it to the wrong address. They told me originally that delivery would be Monday, then I got psyched when I heard it was coming today. Well, I hope I get it tomorrow! hardwall

Edit: hardwall Still don't have the cable. (It's Tuesday). Tried to contact the Post Office and they say that branch does not handle deliveries anymore. That's handled out of Rehobeth. They gave me a number to call and I tried that and got a message to input some code number. So I tried to contact Amazon and looked for a contact number. Whoa! All I was getting was books I could buy to tell me how to contact Amazon. Finally found a contact number for customer service and told them the problem They were very nice and responsive. They offered a refund to a gift card and to waive the oneday delivery charge. Now that is proper service. So they are supposed to call me within the hour when the refund goes thru and I will reorder the cable then. I wonder if the person who actually got the cable is finding a good use for it? think

Creeping Doom, many, many thanks for your suggestion. thanks This is way cheaper and much more doable than buying a new computer. I have a friend who likes my setup so much she is going to do it in her own home with her new TV! thumbsup

Edited by SharonB (11/14/17 11:39 AM)

#1132124 - 11/16/17 01:31 PM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: SharonB]
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer

HOORAY!! joy joy2 penguin hamster dance Finally! My cable arrived and Jenny - you're so clever!! - you were right! It was a display port and the cable works! I had to change the display settings on the TV to duplicate displays so both screens would show the same thing. Now I have the best of both worlds and I owe it all to my friends on Gameboomers! This means the world to me so again, many, many thanks to all who tried to help me with this. praise

SharonB catrub

#1132134 - 11/16/17 02:58 PM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: SharonB]
Draclvr Online   content
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Yippee! Keep those feet up!

#1132151 - 11/16/17 06:20 PM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: Draclvr]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
That's SO fantastic, SharonB !! bravo bravo bravo

#1132153 - 11/16/17 06:26 PM Re: New Laptop Advice [Re: SharonB]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
I'm glad this solution worked out for you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
9 registered (fildil, colpet, Draclvr, RebKean, Winfrey, TLC, mrbill, sureshot, Marian), 137 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Marinus_Louis, tuna, danait13, mozkito314, LeonDaydreamer
8972 Registered Users