GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1130617
11/03/17 11:28 PM
11/03/17 11:28 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Greyfuss, we had the original announced here. I'm just glad that they kept working on it and happy to help them succeed this time!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1130620
11/04/17 05:03 AM
11/04/17 05:03 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Sheriff

Of course I hope they succeed this time and I also wish them success for additional games they are planning in the franchise after this remake for merely selfish reasons. grin

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement [Re: flotsam] #1130665
11/04/17 03:05 PM
11/04/17 03:05 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
Fantastic, Awesome, Exciting, one of my all time favorites and in 3D HD...priceless. IMO...skip the Mobile and just concentrate on the PC HD Remake.

Originally Posted By: flotsam
Agreed - ditch the mobile!

Indeed.
Here are some reasons NOT to make a mobile version:

Reason I.
Nearly all mobile ports of older 1st person games are stripped-down, abridged versions with puzzles removed, hotspots removed, interactivity removed, even entire locations removed from the game. Mobile ports by Microids/Anuman of 1st person games from Cryo, Microids Canada, Kheops, etc. are simply not worth playing. Then Microids/Anuman took these gutted mobile ports and ported them back to PC. Sure they work on Windows 10 now, but they still aren't worth playing compared to the original low resolution versions of the games for Windows 95/98/XP which were complete games.

For example, check the user reviews of Atlantis 2 at Steam, where Steam is selling the gutted mobile-port-ported-back-to-PC version.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/362920/Atlantis_2_Beyond_Atlantis/
(GOG still sells the original complete game, which may take a few tweaks to compatibility mode to work properly -- Play as administrator, Disable visual themes, Disable desktop composition, Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, but at least on my Windows 7 and 8.1 computers it wasn't necessary to choose XP compatibility).

The only exception to the bad-1st-person-mobile-port rule that I've played is Myst, where Cyan made sure the mobile port of Myst was faithful to the original game and didn't leave things out. Perhaps Riven for mobile is the same as Myst but I haven't tested it.

Almost always,
"Optimized for mobile" = garbage stripped-down version

So mobile ports of 1st person games have a bad reputation. Even if you intend to make the updated Riddle of the Sphinx a complete version, like Myst is, you're still working against the fact that most ports of older 1st person adventure games are stripped down and simply awful. You can thank Microids/Anuman for this perception because they made so many of these horrible ports.

Don't confuse Microids/Anuman with Microids Canada, a long-defunct developer (dismantled in 2005) that actually created some of the original 1st person games for Windows 95/98 like Amerzone and Road to India, as well as 3rd person games like Syberia and Still Life. The current Microids/Anuman simply bought the IP and the original developers are long gone.

I bought nearly all of these stinkpot mobile ports (for iPad) of 1st person games as soon as they were available, without realizing they were stripped-down abominations. For example, Amerzone, Atlantis 2, Atlantis 3, Cleopatra, Secrets of Da Vinci, Egypt 2, Egypt 3, Return to Mysterious Island, Echo: Mystery of the Lost Cavern, Nostradamus, Road to India, etc. and without exception they were stripped-down garbage. I doubt I'm the only fan of these games that now knows to avoid these mobile ports of old 1st person adventure games.

Reason II.
There's also the issue of how people play games on mobile. They don't usually sit down and play for hours the way they might with a PC or TV-attached console. They do it in fits and starts, whenever they have a bit of spare time throughout the day. That's not the best way to play a puzzle-heavy adventure game which probably requires a bit of note-taking.

Reason III.
Maybe more a reason to update the pictures on the Kickstart page (if possible)...
The ***picture of the game on an iPhone*** on the Kickstarter page is so dark and small as to be practically impossible to make out. What am I looking at there? A couple of lights? Some blocks on the sides of a tunnel that I can barely see? If that's how the game looks, you may want to implement an in-game gamma or brightness control.

The picture at the top of the page is clearer, but is that a real picture of the scene on an iPhone or is it a mock-up like the "representative" pictures they show of TV's and monitors they want to sell, where they inserted the scene onto a picture of a TV or monitor that is turned off. Unlike the picture further down the page, you can't tell if that's how the game actually displays on an iPhone.

+_+_+_+_+_+

Anyway, I think the inclusion of a mobile port may actually hurt the Kickstarter for the game. This is from someone who used to buy adventure and hidden object games on iTunes, but learned from experience and switched to buying only solitaire/mahjongg/bejewelled types of games that were easy to see and could be picked up and continued at any time. I'm not even talking about the gutted versions here. Even the 3rd person and made-for-mobile 1st person games that aren't stripped down are harder to use on mobile because you forget where you are in the game with short play sessions.

Also if you intend to do a faithful port of the original game without removing the puzzles, say so in the Kickstarter. Words like "Enhanced" don't mean much beyond graphics and lighting.
What about the "game" part of the original game?
The puzzles?
The interactive parts?
That's the part I care about the most.
I don't want an "Anumanized" version.

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1130714
11/05/17 01:15 AM
11/05/17 01:15 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well said Jenny thumbsup

This it what I have to question: I have never heard of a PC Adventure Game called a Windows Desktop App before

Quote:
Pledge $25 or more
Mobile & Desktop Adventure Pack

Unlock the Enhanced HD version of Riddle of the Sphinx HD for Mobile and Desktop.
Includes:

ROTS HD Desktop App (Mac/Win)
ROTS HD Mobile App
In-Game Hint Guide

Estimated delivery Sep 2018

Last edited by GreyFuss; 11/05/17 01:59 AM.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: GreyFuss] #1130760
11/05/17 02:52 PM
11/05/17 02:52 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Maybe it works like the "96 Mill" game ??

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1134287
12/06/17 08:28 PM
12/06/17 08:28 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
FYI:

Quote:
ROTS Awakening will be DRM-FREE!

We are VERY excited to announce that we will be releasing Riddle of the Sphinx: The Awakening desktop version DRM-Free! We plan on releasing the game on GOG and Steam.

What is DRM? DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a kind of protection for digital media that is supposed to prevent piracy and copyright infringement. The original release of ROTS was heavily pirated. However, more and more companies are choosing to forsake DRM in favor of better user experience. And as we have listened to you and discussed the pros and cons, we have decided to release ROTS Awakening DRM-Free for the best possible adventure experience.

Spread the Word!

We really need your help to increase the success of this Kickstarter with increased pledges and more backers, so please spread the word.
Thank you all!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Marta
ROTS Awakening Team

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1134289
12/06/17 08:31 PM
12/06/17 08:31 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Very good news, Ana. wave

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! [Re: Marian] #1134403
12/07/17 03:56 PM
12/07/17 03:56 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Upped my pledge to help get a DRM Free version developed. Yeah !! happydance

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 278 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users