GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lost Chronicles of Zerzura #1131596
11/12/17 09:41 PM
11/12/17 09:41 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
The key was given on the left inside the box, but the installation never asked for it. So I went ahead and installed the game anyway, thinking the game would ask for it when I started playing. But when I tried to play it, I got an error message, something about the Windows' not having the permission. But even worse, my Norton's anti-virus blocked my attempt, giving me a separate message - warning me about a Trojan! And then, shortly thereafter, it "happily" informed me that it had removed the Trojan, and that my computer was secure again - all without ever even asking *my* permission for doing so. I then clicked on the game to see what happens, only for my computer to tell me that the file(s) associated with the shortcut (the game icon) were not there anymore and whether it should now remove that shortcut as well! confused

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?!! Is there really any TROJAN in any copy of that game?? This one was actually bought by my brother from England, given to me as a Birthday present, and I can't even play it... :(

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131613
11/12/17 11:36 PM
11/12/17 11:36 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Norton is kind of famous for this. You will need to completely uninstall the game. Then go in to Norton and tell it to leave the game alone... there should be some place to tell it the game is an "exception." Not sure how it works in Norton. Then go ahead and reinstall the game.

There are some games that have differences in other countries that my cause issues here, but I don't really know anything about this game.

You should also check the system requirements for the game and make sure you computer meets the specs. They are pretty basic, but especially if you have a laptop with integrated graphics, you should be sure it meets the GMA 4500, ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 or Nvidia GeForce Go 9800 requirements.

Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows® 8
Processor: 1.0 GHz Processor or faster
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: AGP/PCI-E Graphics card with : Shader Model 2, DirectX®9 compatible, - min. 128MB VRAM (ATI Radeon 9800 or NVidia GeForce 6800) / Integrated (onboard)-graphics: Graphics with Shader Model 2, DirectX®9-compatible, min. 128 MB VRAM (Intel GMA x4500, ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 or NVIDIA GeForce Go 9800)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX® compatible sound card

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Draclvr] #1131624
11/13/17 01:08 AM
11/13/17 01:08 AM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks, Draclvr. Yes, I do have a laptop, but it has a Radeon card separate from the integrated graphics. I made sure to get one that did - had a Dell once, and couldn't do anything to upgrade the integrated graphics! So got "wise" to that problem since then. LOL laugh

But are you *sure* that there should be no Trojan? Norton sounded so sure, even identified it - I didn't make a note of it, but called it ".Ad" or something like that. My brother likes to give me games for Birthday, Christmas, etc. But he really doesn't know anything about viruses and Trojans - even less than I do! I think he ordered the game from Amazon, and a brand new game at that; but I think it was one of those "third-party vendors." He said England was the only one that carried the game, and it sounded like something I might enjoy. Sure wouldn't want to risk getting a Trojan in my computer, just to play a game, you know. But then, it sure would be nice to be able to play it, without any fear... :(

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131626
11/13/17 02:45 AM
11/13/17 02:45 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I assume it is a disk? If it was in a sealed package and looked legit, there is no reason to think it's a pirated version. Of course, you can't be SURE, but this happens all the time with Norton. The game is available from Steam as a download and is also available from Amazon in the US and from GOG as a download.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/308330/Lost_Chronicles_of_Zerzura/

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Draclvr] #1131632
11/13/17 04:10 AM
11/13/17 04:10 AM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Yes, it IS a disk, came in a sealed package, had the code typed up on a strip of paper on the inner left side of the platinum case. In short, looked perfectly legit. As I said, my brother got it from Amazon, who in turn got it from a vendor in England. According to my brother, the game was not available in US, at least not on Amazon. Or maybe he didn't want to get it from Steam because of all the problems I have had on Steam's games in the past.

But wouldn't want to spend more money getting it from the sites you mentioned... I mean, my brother said it was more expensive than if he had been able to get it here in US, that games bought from England always are.

Thanks again for all your help. smile And, oh, by the way - you knit? Sounds wonderful. I used to do it, but it's been a while, and do miss it. But can't seem to find the time to do it anymore. :(

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131678
11/13/17 10:25 AM
11/13/17 10:25 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Norton might be objecting to the DRM on the game.
So a NoCD might help -- if you can find one for your version of the game. If you can find a NoCD that's a "Fixed EXE" type of NoCD, you might not even have to reinstall the game.

According to a Google search, the game uses "ProtectDisc" DRM. "ProtectDisc" is one of those that installs a low level driver, and this may happen when you first start the game rather than during the installation. "ProtectDisc" also blacklists certain programs, so it may be attempting to scan what other programs are installed on your computer (spyware-type behavior) when you try to start the game. I can't blame Norton for thinking these behaviors are suspicious and trojanlike. Considering Norton didn't take action until you tried to start the game (didn't delete the game exe immediately after installation), it's probably a heuristic detection -- Norton deleting the game exe because of what it tried to do rather than that it detected an actual known trojan.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131687
11/13/17 11:19 AM
11/13/17 11:19 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I understand perfectly that you don't want to pay for the game again, but you will either have to tell Norton to make an exception or do just that if you want to play the game. As Jenny said, Norton isn't going to allow you to play the game as-is.

GOG is usually a better option for downloaded games. There are a few games which they will allow you to download if you already have a key from a disk version.

You have a very nice brother, by the way!

Yes, I knit and crochet when I have time which usually isn't until it starts getting cold and I can't work outside! I had put it aside for about 25 years, but after I retired, I picked it up again. Couldn't even remember how to cast on stitches!

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Draclvr] #1131690
11/13/17 11:21 AM
11/13/17 11:21 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
You can get the game on U.S. Amazon here.

It was supposed to be a very nice game - it's one that I have on my list to play in the future.

Adventure Gamers reviewed it here.

It's from the same development team who did Black Mirror 2 and Black Mirror 3.

GOG does not appear to have the game - I wish they did.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131691
11/13/17 11:23 AM
11/13/17 11:23 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I wonder if the US version on CD would also have that low level DRM Jenny mentioned.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Draclvr] #1131694
11/13/17 12:14 PM
11/13/17 12:14 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I wonder if the US version on CD would also have that low level DRM Jenny mentioned.

It almost certainly does unless there is a UK release that is not from Viva Media.

I have a disc version which I bought several years ago. I think it was from eBay, and I'm almost positive it was an import version that shipped from the UK. But on the back of the DVD case it says "MADE IN THE USA."

Check the back of the DVD case, near the bottom left.
In microprint which will probably require a lighted magnifying glass to read, there are three short paragraphs, and at the end of the 2nd paragraph it says "MADE IN THE USA."

I'd be curious to know if the version that shipped from the UK says "MADE IN THE USA."
Just because it was manufactured in the USA doesn't mean it was widely distributed there.

I never opened mine. I bought it thinking I might use a NoCD, but then found a DRM-free download version on ShinyLoot. Unfortunately ShinyLoot no longer exists or I'd recommend that version.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Draclvr] #1131738
11/13/17 06:29 PM
11/13/17 06:29 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
You have a very nice brother, by the way!

Thanks, Draclvr! Yes, he is pretty nice (for a brother at least. LOL laugh ] We actually had a "deal." He would give me PC games for birthdays, Christmas, etc., while I would get him TV/movie DVDs. But then he "discovered" Amazon! Now he buys a lot of his own TV/movie DVDs, and I have difficulty getting some for his birthdays, etc. Of course, now that adventure (and even the HO!) games are becoming "rare," it is hard for him to buy such gifts for me too! Guess you can say we are both in the proverbial pickle now. laugh Anyway, that was why he took a chance getting the game from the Amazon via the UK vendor, even though, he said, it was more expensive too than trying to get a game from here in US.

Yes, I knit and crochet when I have time which usually isn't until it starts getting cold and I can't work outside! I had put it aside for about 25 years, but after I retired, I picked it up again. Couldn't even remember how to cast on stitches!

Good for you! I have been sewing (just mending old stuff). It's pretty relaxing too, but I do miss knitting... Oh, well. smile

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Marian] #1131740
11/13/17 06:35 PM
11/13/17 06:35 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks for the links, Marian. I already have the game, as I mentioned. My brother bought it from Amazaon, but said it was actually sold by a UK vendor. Don't know why he didn't see the game it was also available here in US. According to him, the UK copy was more expensive too, but it was the only copy he could find.

Originally Posted By: Marian
GOG does not appear to have the game - I wish they did.

GOG? What is that? A games website?

And, oh, do please let me know when you play that game. I will be curious to know if *your* anti-virus "objects" to the game in any way.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Jenny100] #1131742
11/13/17 06:49 PM
11/13/17 06:49 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jenny100

It almost certainly does unless there is a UK release that is not from Viva Media.

I have a disc version which I bought several years ago. I think it was from eBay, and I'm almost positive it was an import version that shipped from the UK. But on the back of the DVD case it says "MADE IN THE USA."

Check the back of the DVD case, near the bottom left.
In microprint which will probably require a lighted magnifying glass to read, there are three short paragraphs, and at the end of the 2nd paragraph it says "MADE IN THE USA."

I'd be curious to know if the version that shipped from the UK says "MADE IN THE USA."
Just because it was manufactured in the USA doesn't mean it was widely distributed there.

I never opened mine. I bought it thinking I might use a NoCD, but then found a DRM-free download version on ShinyLoot. Unfortunately ShinyLoot no longer exists or I'd recommend that version.

Yes, it does say MADE IN THE USA!!! Imagine that! Game made in and intended for US being sold in UK. blush

And, yes, it IS from Viva Media also. In fact, I thought it might be a HO game because, I thought, Viva Media made only HO games.

But, all things considered, what do you suggest I do now? As I mentioned, Norton even identified the (supposed) Trojan by name. Unfortunately, I didn't make a note of it. All I remember is it was ".AD" or something like that.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131743
11/13/17 06:52 PM
11/13/17 06:52 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Your only option is to tell Norton to consider the game an exception and allow it to install. Or buy it from Steam as a download. Or put it aside and take up knitting again!

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131745
11/13/17 07:20 PM
11/13/17 07:20 PM
Connecticut
Ewil02 Offline
Settled Boomer
Ewil02  Offline
Settled Boomer

Connecticut

I had bought my version from Amazon a while back. It is on sale now as a PC download for $3.39. You have to download and install it from the Amazon game installer client, but it goes fairly smoothly. I reinstalled it today without any hassles.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131746
11/13/17 07:24 PM
11/13/17 07:24 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Do you use Norton, Ewil02?

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131749
11/13/17 07:36 PM
11/13/17 07:36 PM
Connecticut
Ewil02 Offline
Settled Boomer
Ewil02  Offline
Settled Boomer

Connecticut

Yes, I use Norton 360, and it allowed the file to be downloaded and installed through the Amazon client without any issues.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131750
11/13/17 07:44 PM
11/13/17 07:44 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Hmmm... wonder if the download had the DRM removed.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Draclvr] #1131757
11/13/17 08:56 PM
11/13/17 08:56 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Your only option is to tell Norton to consider the game an exception and allow it to install. Or buy it from Steam as a download. Or put it aside and take up knitting again!

Hahaha! Loved the last suggestion. But I'm "hooked" on playing games now! laugh Even do the sewing while watching some rerun of an old TV show. LOL laugh

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Ewil02] #1131758
11/13/17 08:59 PM
11/13/17 08:59 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Originally Posted By: Ewil02

I had bought my version from Amazon a while back. It is on sale now as a PC download for $3.39. You have to download and install it from the Amazon game installer client, but it goes fairly smoothly. I reinstalled it today without any hassles.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have an account myself with Amazon. So what is this Amazon game installer client...?

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131759
11/13/17 09:30 PM
11/13/17 09:30 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
If you have ever downloaded from Steam or GOG, it's the same idea with Amazon as far as the client - although I would say it is more bare bones and more simple. That's my feeling about it, anyway.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Marian] #1131764
11/13/17 11:01 PM
11/13/17 11:01 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
If you have ever downloaded from Steam or GOG, it's the same idea with Amazon as far as the client - although I would say it is more bare bones and more simple. That's my feeling about it, anyway.

Thanks, Marian. I don't have an Amazon account though. Will I have to have one to download the game? I suppose I will have to pay again though...?

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131834
11/14/17 12:35 PM
11/14/17 12:35 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, you will need to create an account. It's a very simple process, just like you need to create an account to use GOG or Steam.

And yes, you would have to pay for Lost Chronicles of Zerzura. The download is very inexpensive right now.

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Marian] #1131837
11/14/17 01:06 PM
11/14/17 01:06 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Yes, you will need to create an account. It's a very simple process, just like you need to create an account to use GOG or Steam.

And yes, you would have to pay for Lost Chronicles of Zerzura. The download is very inexpensive right now.

Thanks. As I asked someone else here - guess they didn't see the question - what is GOG?

Re: Lost Chronicles of Zerzura [Re: Zurreen] #1131839
11/14/17 01:14 PM
11/14/17 01:14 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
GOG (which stands for good old games) is another place where you can download games - they have a very nice selection of the old and the new.

Here's the link to the website:

GOG website

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (curly, judith), 227 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users