GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Guns in games #1132908
11/23/17 01:17 PM
11/23/17 01:17 PM
Lincoln, NE
GuybrushThreepwood Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GuybrushThreepwood  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
I used to not pay much attention to guns in games, except that I knew when I found one I'd have to find the ammo somewhere else, because I wasn't interested in them in real life. Now I'm interested and every time I see a gun in a game I a) know if its incorrectly described (ie a revolver refereed to as a pistol) or doesn't look right and b) wish I had it for real. Just saw a nice looking revolver in hidden object puzzle in Redemption Cemetery: One Foot In The Grave. Its a western themed game, and I'm partial to western style guns (revolvers and lever action refiles),

And BTW almost every game gets it wrong when it comes to ammunition by calling them bullets, The bullet is the small part of the ammunition that comes out of the gun when you fire it. Unless your talking about black powder guns for which the bullet is actually a round ball and you load the gun with powder, cotton wadding (most games forget the wadding) and a bullet you don't load modern guns with a bullet you load it with a cartridge which contains the bullet, the powder and the primer all assembled together.

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 11/23/17 07:05 PM.

Currently Playing:
Adventure Game: Broken Age
Darkside: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1132938
11/23/17 05:09 PM
11/23/17 05:09 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Interesting info, Guybrush. I did not know that about bullets.

thanksgiving

Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1132964
11/23/17 09:34 PM
11/23/17 09:34 PM
Lincoln, NE
Addicted Boomer
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
Another mistake game authors make: shotguns don't fire bullets. You load shotguns with plastic cartridges holding bird shot, buck shot or slugs. Bird shot and buck shot are tiny pellets. Slugs are are similar to bullets. There are some other new kinds of projectiles but those are the 3 most common. Bird shot is for birds and other small fast moving animals, buck shot is for dear and other large fast moving animals. A slug is used on a large slower moving target. A slug is a large piece of lead, Bullets are also made of lead (mostly) but they may have metal coverings, full metal jacket is the term, usually copper. A bullet is housed in a metal cartridge, usually brass but steel and nickle are also used, along with gun powder. A slug is housed in a plastic cartridge which contains the gun powder. I don't know if people still do, but it used to be common to load shotgun shells with rock salt to produce non lethal ammo. It would be painful but not do permanent damage.

Shotguns at close range make bigger holes than handguns or rifles, but at long range the pellets spread out too much.

Basically hand guns are short range, shotguns short to medium range and rifles long range.

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 11/23/17 09:36 PM.

Currently Playing:
Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1132975
11/23/17 11:21 PM
11/23/17 11:21 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
May I ask, what is the reason you all of a sudden became so interested in guns to learn all of this, AND to notice it in the games?

Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1132982
11/24/17 12:51 AM
11/24/17 12:51 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I knew this sounded familiar! Guns in shows thread.

Its quite a tall order to get so precise in objects, not everyone is an authority on all things, so sometimes its easier to use generic terms such as pistols, guns, bullets etc. It's not educational, it's just supposed to be entertaining. I can see how it would be disturbing if you have a passion in it, though.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Guns in games [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1132997
11/24/17 06:00 AM
11/24/17 06:00 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I am from the UK and have very little knowledge of guns.
So when asked to build one - as a puzzle in a game - I can get into difficulties lol

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1133056
11/24/17 04:10 PM
11/24/17 04:10 PM
Lincoln, NE
Addicted Boomer
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
My standard answer to that question: I'm having a midlife crisis, but instead of chasing women I'm chasing guns. lol

I started watching shooting videos on youtube. And it looked like fun. I don't actually carry a gun unless I'm at the range. Were I live I don't feel its necessary, yet. The way our culture is going in the US it may become necessary. Which is sad.

I mostly own .22s which is one of the smaller calibers mostly used for hunting squirrels and rabbits. I only use it on inanimate targets, mostly paper. Though more people have been murdered with 22 handguns (they used to be cheap and the ammo is still compared to other calibers) than any other, they're not generally considered good self defense guns. I wouldn't care to be shot with one though.

I'm found out I'm old fashioned when it comes to gun (which is not a surprise i'm general old fashioned), I prefer revolvers to semi automatic pistols and although my .22 rifle is semi automatic I'd really like to get a lever gun (see The Rifleman opening credits on youtube). I don't own a shotgun, yet, indoor ranges don't allow them, out door are generally shooting clubs. An outdoor range is supposed to open up just outside of town next spring.

I'm having an experience I guess most gun owners have had and one point, a malfunctioning gun. One of my revolvers something in the connection between trigger and hammer actually broke and the gun is back with the manufacturer for repair.
Annoying because it was the first time I shot the brand new gun.

Currently Playing:
Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1133059
11/24/17 05:19 PM
11/24/17 05:19 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks for your response Guybrush!

I am not a gun person at all but when I had jury duty a couple of years ago, I got to hold one and it didn't really feel bad...

Re: Guns in games [Re: GuybrushThreepwood] #1133103
11/25/17 05:23 AM
11/25/17 05:23 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Hi Guybrush,

I joined a local shooting cub and started target shooting on 25m range with .22 semi-automatic precision pistol some 20 years ago. I chose pistol over rifle because of their relative difficulty measured how good results compared to maximum their shooters do.

I tried both fast and slow paced 25m disciplines but liked the latter more. Because our outdoor season is so short, from May to mid-September, I also started shooting 10m air pistol in Winter. I liked it a lot and found myself quite good at it. The more difficult, the better.

Next Spring I sold my 25m pistol and bought a .22 single shot 50m pistol. With open sights I find this discipline most difficult but also very tempting. Even in the Olympic Games the best shooters get only around 585 of maximum 600.

I also own a .22 match revolver which I mostly have because it's simply a beautiful piece and a reminder of history. I got it free from a friend whose late father was it's original owner. He couldn't get a license for it himself because the gun laws are quite strict in Finland and you practically must be a member of a club to get your first licence. By my opinion that is a good thing that you learn the culture of responsible gun handling there.

Like you, I also find it somewhat disturbing that in games and also in movies they often you wrong terms for different types of guns, their parts and ammunition. That leaves me with questions how often that happens with othe subjects I'm not as familiar with?

For a gamer that has some interest in historic guns and gunmen I can recommend "Call of Juarez: Gunslinger". It's a shooter/action adventure though and not for any absolute beginner.

Timo

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users