GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1134308 - 12/06/17 09:37 PM Getting back to gaming
lspace Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
It's been several years since I've played an adventure game but now I am ready to start again. But I need a new computer. I was looking at 2 in 1 laptops (not interested in a desktop). What kind of specs do I need to play the current adventure games? I do know I need 64 bit and 8gb ram is a good starting point. When it comes to storage rpm or ssd? Ssd is faster but does it make much of a difference in adventure games? How fast of a processor? Best video card? I want to buy something that will still run games 2 or 3 years from now. My budget is $800-1000. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

I know I've probably put this in the wrong forum but I didn't know where else to put it. My apologies.

#1134310 - 12/06/17 09:40 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I moved your post over to the Glitches forum. The techies here can give you some good advice in regards to your questions. wave

#1134320 - 12/06/17 10:48 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA

I'm not qualified to recommend any models of current laptops. It's been several years since I shopped for a laptop or looked at them.

Check the recommended system requirements for the games you're interested in (not the minimum requirements). Make a list of the high end 3D games that are at the top of your list and Google the name of the game and "system requirements" (without the quotes).

Be aware that graphics cards in laptops are usually slower than their desktop equivalents. They are also not replaceable or upgradable. See what's available in your price range.

#1134322 - 12/06/17 11:12 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Draclvr Offline
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
I can't add much more to what Jenny said. Since you haven't played any adventure games for a long time, you should be aware that the newer games are requiring more and more "power" in a computer. The vast majority require a stand-alone video card which is going to make a laptop much more expensive. Of course, your budget is going to be a big part of the decision.

Doing a search for "best gaming laptops 2017" should bring up quite a few hits.

#1134330 - 12/07/17 02:56 AM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Michigan
There is a new thing out there called the "Alienware Graphics Amplifier". It allows you to use a desktop video card with a laptop. I don't know much about it but I thought I would let you know it exists so you can check it out. Anything made by aliens is usually cool.

#1134374 - 12/07/17 11:01 AM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

That's an interesting piece of hardware, Geo. I was wondering about an adequate power supply, but it come with a 460 watt one. It's pretty pricey - $199 and then you STILL have to buy a GPU to install in it. And that assumes you have a laptop display that could support it. I can see why it would be very attractive to hard core laptop gamers though because as Jenny said, laptop GPUs are usually not as powerful as those for the desktop.

#1134375 - 12/07/17 11:35 AM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer

I just noticed it looks like its only for Alienware notebooks. I thought it could be used with any notebook at first.

#1134376 - 12/07/17 11:36 AM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

I didn't notice that either. Too bad it isn't though.

#1134389 - 12/07/17 12:38 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Also it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop if you have to depend on big things like that dangling off of it.

#1134395 - 12/07/17 02:30 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
lspace Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks for all the replies. It makes it a little easier to find what I am looking for. Although I am still wondering if SSD rather RPM makes much of a difference in adventure gaming. Does anyone know?

#1134408 - 12/07/17 03:37 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer

Nothing wrong with having big things dangling.

#1134413 - 12/07/17 05:05 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Originally Posted By: lspace
Thanks for all the replies. It makes it a little easier to find what I am looking for. Although I am still wondering if SSD rather RPM makes much of a difference in adventure gaming. Does anyone know?

"RPM" means Revolutions per Minute.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rpm
"RPM" does not mean "mechanical drive" or "hard drive."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

If you ask for an "RPM drive" in a store, they will either look at you funny or send you to the automobile department.

With most games it won't matter if you use an SSD or a mechanical hard drive because RAM is more important.

However with the game "Obduction," an SSD was "strongly recommended" by the developer to reduce load times.

Considering the complaints about load times with the new reboot of "Black Mirror," there may be other games where an SSD will cut down on load times of games -- not just load time when you start the game, but when you move to different locations (or rooms) within the game.

SSD's are more expensive than mechanical hard drives for the capacity you get, but if you want to store large amounts of data you may want to use external storage anyway.

#1134414 - 12/07/17 05:14 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

He, he, Geo!! grin

#1134421 - 12/07/17 07:30 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
lspace Offline
Settled Boomer

Thank you Jenny. Obduction was the game I was looking at to try and figure out what specs would be best.

#1134430 - 12/07/17 10:03 PM Re: Getting back to gaming [Re: lspace]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
shame Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
3 registered (3dobermans, jboliver, bermag45), 108 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Zorkmid57, StuDapples, SweetLulu, Lion_1251, phimestudio
8978 Registered Users