GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Beast of Lycan Isle #1135650
12/18/17 09:30 PM
12/18/17 09:30 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I searched for an existing thread but didn't find one, so started this one to submit a Review.

I just finished playing The Beast of Lycan Isle, and overall liked the game. It felt much more like a standard Adventure game than a Casual game, maybe because it didn't have all those annoying pop-ups and sparkles and a monotonous, closed-loop musical track (in fact, it had no music at all). I loved all of that. Having no music made it feel more real ~ since we don't encounter sound tracks in real life, of course.

The puzzles were more or less even in terms of difficulty, so that was nice. A couple of times, it wasn't clear what you were supposed to do, even with the Explanation, but you could figure it out. None was what I'd call “Hard,” and many were downright “Easy.”

I have a few quibbles with the game, so I'll get those out of the way.
1. The Inventory does not identify what objects are with any label. The objects just sit there and you have to figure out what they are and how to use them. Some are identifiable, but others are not. Example: I had what I thought was a piece of wood and carried it around for ages before I asked the Hint what I should do next and it said, “Give the CIGAR to the statue in the Tower.” I'm thinking, "Cigar?" And give it to a statue bust? ha ha ha

2. No navigation by Map. Yes, you do get a Map, but you can't use it to jump from place to place, or else I simply couldn't figure out how to make this work. It means you do a LOT of jogging around. It is a big, complex landscape and I did get confused by some of it, even up until the end.

3. Many items you are supposed to look for don't look much like you expect them to do. This makes them pretty hard to find, of course. At one point, I knew I was looking for a rug, and I jogged all over this world tagging every rug on every floor and got nowhere. Finally gave up and asked the Hint and it showed me the rug I needed was rolled up and hidden in a corner of one distant room.

4. I played the CE version, so I had a Bonus Game, but it started so oddly that I wasn't sure it was a “game” at all. I had to shag all over the landscape again, rounding up a dozen museum pieces that had been looted and hidden, basically a gigantic HO scene. They weren't that easy to find, and I nearly bailed, since make-work is not why I play. But I ultimately finished (with one Hint when I got tired of looking for the final object), and then there WAS more game. About half an hour's worth. Whew!

Bottom Line: I think I will replay this game at some point, despite the warts. I did like the style of it.

Re: The Beast of Lycan Isle [Re: Reenie] #1135652
12/18/17 09:36 PM
12/18/17 09:36 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I played this game when it came out, Reenie, which was several years ago, and I quite liked it. It is from the same developer who did the three Empress of the Deep games.

I could be wrong, but when the game came out, I am not sure that having a map that you could actually use to jump from place to place had been implemented in any HOPAs yet - at the very least, I don't think it was very common.

Thank you for the review. wave12

Re: The Beast of Lycan Isle [Re: Marian] #1135723
12/19/17 01:40 PM
12/19/17 01:40 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Interesting. I had no idea it was an older game. It is quite different, and a nice change from all the loud bells-and-whistles stuff so common now in Casuals. It also didn't offer very in the way of volume or brightness or difficulty controls, possibly for the same reason you mentioned (being an older game). I still enjoyed it very much.

Re: The Beast of Lycan Isle [Re: Reenie] #1135730
12/19/17 02:29 PM
12/19/17 02:29 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
The CE was released on Big Fish on November 25, 2012 - I just looked up the release date. wave12

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (LadyKestrel, 1 invisible), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users