GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1137335 - 01/03/18 01:57 PM Virus Software Recommendations
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Kingston, NY USA
I apologize if this question has been asked before or if I've posted it in the wrong forum but
I need help in deciding on a virus software brand.

I'm currently using Windows 10 defender, which isn't the greatest as I still get some spyware
as well as, what I perceive, as a threat of a virus.

I have used software in the past and have never been very happy with just about all of them:
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and some free programs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1137339 - 01/03/18 02:29 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
I use Defender along with Malwarebytes Pro and have never had a problem with spyware or viruses.

#1137341 - 01/03/18 02:48 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
RebKean Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sweden
I also use Defender, or rather what its name was in Windows 7. I haven't upgraded yet. Microsoft Security Essentials. I assume it's the same thing as Defender? (Sort of anyway) I have never had a problem though, but I wonder if the perfect program exist? I find there's always something that you don't like with them.

I can't be sure, but I don't think I've known if my computer have had a virus or spyware installed. But I wonder why you get that? Is it real viruses, or just false positives? It can be wrong sometimes. But I'm no expert here, I'm just a bit curious.

#1137350 - 01/03/18 03:30 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer

Draclvr,

I saw a program called Malwarebytes ADWcleaner - a free download. I've also seen other
Malwarebytes software - what exactly is the program you're using?

RebKean,

I haven't kept a record but sometime ago I did get what I thought was a virus but managed to get
rid of it by shutting off the PC and restarting it; so it may not have been a virus but another
form of malware.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1137352 - 01/03/18 03:56 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
RebKean Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sweden
OK, well I'm not an expert on viruses and that kind of thing. Not much experience, which is good of course.

Any program that is free scares me, I have to say. Especially when it's this important. But perhaps that's just my paranoia. =)

#1137356 - 01/03/18 04:14 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Malwarebytes ADWcleaner is another program they now have for adware and spyware... But go to the official Malwarebytes site. You can still get the free version which you would run if you thought you had a problem. The Premium runs in real time and stops stuff before it gets there. I think it costs about $40 a year. My 90 year-old mother called me one day and said her Malwarebytes had flashed up a warning. I told her to just let Malwarebytes handle it and I would look at it when we came up there in a month or so - I live 600 miles away. When I got up there and looked in the quarantined items, it was a ransomware virus which would have totally trashed her computer. So Malwarebytes Premium really paid for itself there.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

#1137370 - 01/03/18 07:54 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: rmelone
I apologize if this question has been asked before or if I've posted it in the wrong forum but I need help in deciding on a virus software brand.

I'm currently using Windows 10 defender, which isn't the greatest as I still get some spyware as well as, what I perceive, as a threat of a virus.

I have used software in the past and have never been very happy with just about all of them:
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and some free programs.

Virus and spyware/adware aren't the same thing.
You need an anti-malware program to filter out things like spyware and adware.

Draclvr likes MalwareBytes in combination with Windows Defender, and that's probably what I'd recommend as well.

If you're going to spend money on something, it would be better to spend it on an anti-malware program like MalwareBytes rather than an antivirus. Some antivirus now include anti-malware, but these can be variable quality. MalwareBytes is among the best.

Windows Defender is fine as a free antivirus, at least when used along with something like MalwareBytes, and Defender doesn't expose you to problems that "free" antivirus from 3rd party companies sometimes do.

Originally Posted By: rmelone
I haven't kept a record but some time ago I did get what I thought was a virus but managed to get rid of it by shutting off the PC and restarting it; so it may not have been a virus but another
form of malware.

Not all weird behavior is caused by a virus.
Remember using Windows 95/98 when you had to reboot all the time? Despite all claims to the contrary, you do have to reboot once in a while with XP and later Windows -- especially on computers used for gaming. Even if most games don't cause problems, there are some that do. The situation is probably even worse if you play disc-based games with invasive DRM -- the stuff Microsoft now blocks from installing by default.

#1137389 - 01/03/18 10:05 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer

Anti virus programs are valuable and I'm happy with free Avast. However, it should be repeated over and over again that the best protection against computer infection is yourself!
Don't open suspicious email. Be careful of the sites you browse on. If you download programs, do it from trustworthy sites.

#1137391 - 01/03/18 11:00 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Preach it, Robert Gault! I do all the time.

#1137418 - 01/04/18 11:56 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer

I found this on Amazon - is this the malware software that has been mentioned?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 3.0 - 3 PCs / 1 Year

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1137424 - 01/04/18 12:40 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Please go the official Malwarebytes website which I linked to above... If you only have 1 PC, you don't need licenses for 3. Also make sure it's for HOME and not BUSINESS. I'll post the link again.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

#1137431 - 01/04/18 01:17 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: Draclvr]
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer

I appreciate all the good information - thanks.

The premium software on the Malwarebytes web site is around $60 and it's for 3 computers - I have two.

The software I mentioned that is on Amazon from Malwarebytes is around $40 and also for 3 computers.
The link on Amazon for the software is here.

Please let me know if the software is the same on Amazon as it is on Malwarebytes.

Thanks,

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1137433 - 01/04/18 01:48 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

It is the same, although it is an older version. I assume it would be updated when you install. At the Malwarebytes website, you can pick how many computers and the price for 2 is $49.99 per year. Not sure why the price difference on Amazon... I did read that you still have to do the download from the Malwarebytes website. Supposedly they send you a box with the key code to use for the download.

If you renew every year, it will still be $49.99 for 2 PCs. I would be a bit concerned that since this original license is for 3 PCs, they would renew at the 3 PC rate which is $59.99, so make sure if you are given the option that you don't select auto-renewal.

#1137463 - 01/04/18 07:05 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: Robert Gault]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Robert Gault
Anti virus programs are valuable and I'm happy with free Avast. However, it should be repeated over and over again that the best protection against computer infection is yourself!
Don't open suspicious email. Be careful of the sites you browse on. If you download programs, do it from trustworthy sites.

All too true , in everything here . In the latest av-comparitives test , Avast scored perfectly , 100% . Windows defender , 98.1 % . Not too bad , I suppose . Avira , BitDefender , AVG , had better results , just to name a couple . A 98.1 % isn't nothing to sneeze at , but... Myself , my router is firewall protected , & I have Comodo Internet Security (defense + set to "paranoid" mode) , with Malwarebytes free .

#1137542 - 01/05/18 04:23 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

I've been reading that they have vastly improved Defender over time. Good to know about that comparison.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Debcon, lucebend, Lethal_Angel, AustriaGame24, 1madmouse
9042 Registered Users