GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1137571 - 01/06/18 12:04 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: Draclvr]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I've been reading that they have vastly improved Defender over time. Good to know about that comparison.

What I listed ,was their results for "real world" testing . Symantec (Norton) did reasonably well , I think . I paid little attention to their score actually . Some others , from my limited memory , that fared well , were Avira , Kaspersky , Trend Micro , Bullguard , & AVG .

#1138055 - 01/10/18 03:50 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Kingston, NY USA
I bought the software for Malwarebytes from Amazon and Draclvr was right - you get a box and in it
is the license for up to 3 PCs to download from Malwarebytes web site.

When I installed it in my laptop it found over 1000 threats. I don't know if any of the threats were
related to my problem of updating Windows 10 to the latest level - we'll see.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1138107 - 01/11/18 10:55 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Wow, Robert! I think my record for a computer I was working on is a little over 900! The computer was barely running for very good reason. I don't know if getting rid of the malware will solve your problem though. In order for Windows 10 to update to the latest version, all previous updates must be up to date. Could be something is missing there.

I would highly suggest running Malwarebytes more than once. I've had it catch more on the 2nd or 3rd scan. If you had that much malware, I would also suggest running CCleaner to clear out junk too. It will get rid of any cookies that keep passwords, so go into Options and Cookies and find sites you visit often such as Gameboomers and move them over to the right panel. That tells CCleaner to leave them alone.

Also, when it is time to renew your Malwarebytes Premium, remember that it will auto renew to the price for 3 computers which is $59.99. You will need to change that to renew for only two computers which is $49.99.

Let us know how things work out for you!

#1138128 - 01/11/18 02:12 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Settled Boomer

I tried running Windows 10 update and the initial update to version 1607 worked ok but when I tried to
update to version 1709 I got the same failure as before - some update files are missing or have problems.

I have been on the Microsoft support forum since 12/16/17 trying to get this problem fixed, to no avail.

The attempted update to version 1709 ran for about 2 plus hours before there was a failure notice. I was
hoping, because it was running so long, that the Malwarebytes program I ran would enable the update but
it wasn't to be.

I don't know if others have experienced this problem on this forum - if not, maybe I should open a new
glitches post.

The one thing I keep wondering about is my laptop, where I'm having this problem, originally had
Windows 7 and was updated some time ago when Microsoft had that free update to Windows 10 and I'm
wondering if that is why I'm having this problem now.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1138137 - 01/11/18 04:23 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Jenny100 Online   content
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
rmelone,
Does your laptop have an AMD processor or an Intel processor?

Apparently there is a "fix" for the recently discovered "Meltdown" and "Spectre" exploits that Intel processors are vulnerable to, but the "fix" messes with AMD processors, so Microsoft has blocked the "fix" from installing on some AMD processors
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/microsofts_spectre_fixer_bricks_some_amd_powered_pcs

If you have an AMD processor, and this "latest" version of Windows 10 includes the "fix" for Intel vulnerabilities, maybe that's why your update fails.

Also there is a known problem with an update installation halt at 99% described at tenforums:
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-new...6299-192-a.html

#1138139 - 01/11/18 05:19 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Settled Boomer

Jenny100

Thanks for the information. My laptop uses an Intel processor and is currently at Windows 10 Version 1607
Build 14393.1198 which was released May 2017. Since then there have been many updates to Version 1607 but
none of them are reflected on my laptop.

Now, the automatic update by Microsoft (without any way that I know to stop it) is constantly trying to update
to Version 1709 and fails in different ways.

I'm going to have to do a lot more research - again.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1138149 - 01/11/18 07:01 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Sonic Boomer

Check the 2nd link in my post about the 99% installation problem.
They list workarounds.
Perhaps one of those would help.

And another possibility -- you said you'd used these before:
Originally Posted By: rmelone
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and some free programs

Did you install any of those on the laptop?
If so, did you use an uninstaller from the antivirus company's website to uninstall them? If you only uninstalled through Control Panel, they may have left junk behind that is interfering with the update.

#1138158 - 01/11/18 10:16 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Oh, good point about the uninstall of those old antivirus programs.

#1138203 - 01/12/18 09:57 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: Draclvr]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: The Netherlands
Just for your information, the results from a recent test by the Dutch Consumer Society were, from best to worst (on a scale from 0 to 10, 10 being the best):

Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 (paid): 8.1
Norton by Symantec Security Deluxe: 7.8
Trend Micro Internet Security: 7.8
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition: 7.7
Kaspersky Internet Security 2018: 7.7
BullGuard Internet Security 2018: 7.7
Panda Security Antivirus Pro: 7.6
Avira Antivirus Pro: 7.5
Avast! Antivirus Free Edition: 7.4
F-Secure Safe 2018: 7.4
Eset Internet Security: 7.4
Avira Antivirus Free Edition: 7.3
AVG Antivirus Free Edition: 7.1
Kaspersky Free Edition: 6.6
McAfee Antivirus Plus 2018: 6.4
Microsoft Windows 10 Defender (free): 6.4
G-Data Internet Security: 6.1
ZoneAlarm Antivirus Free Edition: 5.2
Malwarebytes Premium: 4.1

It should be taken into account that the above scores also include user friendliness and computer performance (how much it slows down).

They say that Malwarebytes offers bad protection against viruses (just 3.2), but could be a valuable second option to run, especially the free version. They explain that it still suffers from its original spec as only additional protection against malware.

They also point out that while some free virus protection programs score just as well as other paid software, there can be frequent annoying ads, and more user data will generally be collected than by the paid products.

Best,

Rich

#1138207 - 01/12/18 10:37 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Interesting...

#1138214 - 01/12/18 11:15 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: The Netherlands
Jenny100

Thanks for the information. My laptop uses an Intel processor and is currently at Windows 10 Version 1607
Build 14393.1198 which was released May 2017. Since then there have been many updates to Version 1607 but
none of them are reflected on my laptop.
Robert,

I've been told by someone from Kaspersky that sometimes a Windows update fails to complete, which keeps subsequent updates from installing, because of internal conflicts. This happened last year, when a Windows update was buggy, so kept trying to install itself. If you haven't done it yet, you can take a look at the possible backlog of updates in Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update.

You may want to skip certain recommended updates, or ones which look superfluous, in favour of essential ones.

Best,

Rich

By the way, as for Jenny's remark on installation problems and possible conflicts with other antivirus programs, I use Revo Uninstaller a lot to locate and completely erase leftover bits (such as 'orphaned' driver files or registry entries) of programs I may have installed, but have forgotten about, or which have failed to uninstall completely. This happened when I went from McAfee to Kaspersky: some subdirectories and McAfee program bits still remained present, even active.

Edited by RichAlexis (01/12/18 01:27 PM)

#1138222 - 01/12/18 11:54 AM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

In all the computers I've worked on, McAfee is the absolute worst to get rid of. I always use the uninstaller from the McAfee website which does get rid of it all. Revo is also great.

#1138228 - 01/12/18 01:04 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: Draclvr]
rmelone Offline
Settled Boomer

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to both the virus and Windows 10 update questions I had.

Right now with all the information provided my head is spinning confused and I'm going to concentrate on the Windows 10 update problem.

I think I need to take a step back to decide what would be the best way to approach the problem - and, right now I'm not really sure what that is.

I guess I could just ignore the daily pop-up error messages from Microsoft about the failed updates as my laptop is running fine the way it is. I'd rather not do that but it might come to that.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1138229 - 01/12/18 01:40 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Until you get a little distance from all this, why don't you exclude the updates. Since you can't do this any longer in your update settings, you could try this tool from Microsoft. You can uninstall it at a later date.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-windows-updates-in-windows-10

#1138235 - 01/12/18 02:42 PM Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone]
Sonic Boomer

Right now with all the information provided my head is spinning and I'm going to concentrate on the Windows 10 update problem.

Take it to a repair shop. If it's not updating because it's infected, you need to have that taken care of.
If it's not updating because of an incompatibility with the computer hardware, the shop can tell you.
It would help if you could make a list of all the antivirus you previously had installed on it so the shop can check for traces of on your hard drive that might be blocking the update install.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
8 registered (Winfrey, Jeanne, hagatha, deleterman, Marian, Sassy, manxman, Lex), 150 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Newest Members
GoldDog, bru, nami, terynb, Gamewalker
9005 Registered Users