GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138800
01/18/18 01:03 PM
01/18/18 01:03 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I'm not sure what you meant by "MM" but I checked the link on the address bar and it's exactly the same link I quoted in my previous post.

Could you please try that link and, if it is correct, what do I click on?

I did click on "disable or turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10" and then saw this:

"Turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10
You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine."

I don't see "Administrative Tools" in my control panel. So it's possible I'm not following the right link to disable updates.

Thanks,

Robert

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138814
01/18/18 02:10 PM
01/18/18 02:10 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Sorry, Robert! Had a minor brain malfunction! I am an administrator at the Mystery Manor gaming website and forgot where I was! I meant GB.

When I go to the link, there is nothing to click on unless you want to try using the tool... just directions along with screenshots about how to disable the updates. There is a link to the blocking tool called KB3073930.

Administrative Tools is under Update and Security in Control Panel. I hate when they skip a step! Why don't you wait and see if you are still prompted to do updates with what you've done already. If that works, then you should be good to go.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138822
01/18/18 03:12 PM
01/18/18 03:12 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If I go to
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-windows-updates-in-windows-10

It talks about an update tool and near the bottom of the page says

Quote:
Using this tool will prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

If later on, an updated driver or updated is released and you wish to install it now, you may click on the Show hidden updates and uncheck them

You can download the tool from KB3073930.

You can also stop automatic Driver updates if you wish. This post will show you where to look for Windows 10 Update History.

RECOMMENDED: Download this tool to quickly find & fix Windows errors automatically

Where it says "You can download the tool from KB3073930" it links you to a Microsoft website with the tool.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...lling-in-window

*** BUT ***

If you click where it says "RECOMMENDED: Download this tool to quickly find & fix Windows errors automatically" it takes you to a garbage website with all sorts of scripted trackers and junk.

Make sure to check all links before you click them.
In this case there was a good link and a bad one, and it sounds like you chose the bad one.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138830
01/18/18 04:07 PM
01/18/18 04:07 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
What do I select once I find Administrative Tools to prevent Windows 10 updates from running?

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138853
01/18/18 07:31 PM
01/18/18 07:31 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Do you see Services listed? The instructions say this. I don't know if this will work in Window 10 Home though. I'll have to check.

Quote:
Turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10

You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138926
01/19/18 10:22 AM
01/19/18 10:22 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Under Control Panel there is no Administrative Tools option. I had to go into Control Panel/System and Security and in that windows was the Administrative Tools option.

However, it does not include a Services option.

So you may be right. The option doesn't look like it's there for Windows 10 home.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138935
01/19/18 11:27 AM
01/19/18 11:27 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Control Panel looks different depending on whether you have "Category" "Large Icons" or "Small Icons" selected.

Check the "View by" dropdown in the upper right of whatever version of Control Panel you have open.

Or check this site under #6 for pictures

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2691-open-control-panel-windows-10-a.html

To get to the list of services, it's faster to

Quote:
Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog, type services.msc, press Enter,

but if you want to go through Control Panel, make sure you have the right "view" selected for Control Panel first.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1138960
01/19/18 03:30 PM
01/19/18 03:30 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
OK, I went through the Control Panel sequence to stop Windows 10 updates. I should know later today or at least by tomorrow if that has actually stopped the updates.

From what I can see I can always restart Windows 10 updates if I want to.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1139108
01/21/18 10:20 AM
01/21/18 10:20 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Something is resetting the option to stop Windows 10 updates in the 'Services' screen.

I select to stop Windows updates but then, after a while, I get update error messages again and when I go back into the 'Services' screen and look at Windows update it has been reset to allow updates.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Virus Software Recommendations [Re: rmelone] #1139127
01/21/18 12:36 PM
01/21/18 12:36 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: rmelone
Something is resetting the option to stop Windows 10 updates in the 'Services' screen.

That doesn't surprise me at all.
That "something" is Microsoft Windows 10.

There is a suggestion here for a tweak on the Recovery tab,
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For...m=winserverwsus
Originally Posted By: Yan Li
I suggest you check the Recovery tab under Windows Update service properties. By default, when the service is failure, the recovery task is to restart the service. You may change this to Take no action and check the result.

but the last person who posted in that thread said the Recovery tab tweak didn't work.

I guess you could try using the suggestions here
https://www.computerworld.com/article/32...installing.html

One suggestion I saw was to check for BIOS updates for your model computer -- in the hope that the BIOS update would make the computer compatible with Windows update 1709. But chances are the company computer won't care about updating older computers. After all, they want you to buy a new one, whether you can afford it or not.

Best solution (in my opinion) for the home user is to go back to using Windows 7 or 8. That may not be an option for the latest computers (especially laptops) that came with Windows 10, but it should be possible to go back to the operating system the computer came with. If you have a "restore partition" that is intact, it shouldn't take long to go back to Windows 7 or 8, though running all the subsequent updates for Windows 7 or 8 may take many hours. And of course you have to back up everything before using the restore partition or you'll lose your data.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 227 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users