GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
internet & phone #1143875
03/07/18 03:19 PM
03/07/18 03:19 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Quite some time back you may remember I was having internet connection problems but was putting off calling AT&T because I felt I would just get aggravated. Not only do I dislike the automated systems and being on hold and transferred all over etc. but I was worried somebody would have to come in my filthy home and then not be able to get to the phone box which I think may be behind the paneling in my basement. Anyway -

What I had noticed was that I only had problems when it rained (snow was not a problem). When it dried up outside, my internet was fine so I continued putting off making the call. Unfortunately my phone also started having problems with a lot of crackling/static. About 2 weeks ago we had a heavy rain and my phone/internet didn't want to start working properly so I finally called AT&T last week. They were supposed to come out yesterday but did not show up. Today they did. Fortunately, I am home today because my brother was not home when they came.

Apparently the problem was due to rain as I thought, and also wind. I am told this will not happen again now; that it is fixed. I almost can't wait for the next rainfall to see. Fingers crossed!

While I did end up on the phone with AT&T for about 40 long minutes of which I was getting antsy to be done with the call, most of the time was spent talking to the billing department. I transferred over there after setting the service call up because I wanted to cancel off a $3.00/month service that I had that I haven't needed for years now. The very helpful person went through all my charges and cancelled that for me as well as another fee, but not the service (apparently the service is free now but they bill you anyway unless you call), and she lowered my line charge and the cost of my internet service. Supposedly, these new rates will continue and are not just temporary promotions. I should see a reduction to my 2 bills of about $22.70/month. Yay!

One charge she said she could lower or cancel was "line backer" for inside wire maintenance but I didn't know if I should do that being that my phone box is inside my house. What do you think?

Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1143878
03/07/18 04:02 PM
03/07/18 04:02 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
For me, I keep the inside wire maintenance because I'd much rather THEY come in and fix something than me mucking around to try to figure out what's wrong. I've only had to use it once, but it turned out to be something I would have never figured out. And I was the one who RAN all the inside telephone wiring in the house when I was remodeling it.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1143880
03/07/18 04:27 PM
03/07/18 04:27 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Is that what inside wire maintenance is? I just thought it meant if they can't fix the problem from the outside and have to come inside to the box.

Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1143888
03/07/18 05:41 PM
03/07/18 05:41 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
In general they are responsible for everything from the main line to box on the outside or in the house. My box is on the outside of the house. For me, it means if there are problems on the lines in my house.

Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1143894
03/07/18 07:57 PM
03/07/18 07:57 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Actually Draclvr, I'm sure that is what inside wire maintenance means. You threw me when you talked about you doing it yourself. So even with the box outside, there could still be inside maintenance required. I wonder if the monthly fee is worth what the maintenance fee would be. I've been paying it so long now though with no problems (inside) that if I cancel it you can be sure I'll end up needing it.

My box is supposed to be outside but we never did have it moved.

Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1143914
03/07/18 09:52 PM
03/07/18 09:52 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
What I meant was that I ran all the telephone wiring from room to room and upstairs when the walls were open. So I know where they all are. BUT! When something goes amiss, it is not easy to figure out where the problem is. I was having horrible buzzing on my phones and they came out and found out all was well to the box on the outside of the house. Because I have the inside wiring monthly fee, they came inside and figured out exactly which wire and jack it was in about 2 minutes! I would have been looking for days trying to figure it out. Well worth it to me.

Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1150862
05/13/18 12:19 AM
05/13/18 12:19 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Argh! Two nights in a row now, my internet went out, both nights around the same time. I had to unplug my modem and wait awhile and it was okay. Tonight anyway. Last night it was out all night - I just happened to notice it when I got up for a trip to the washroom.

It has been wet and windy both nights so now I don't know if it is just my ISP or the same problem I had before.

Re: internet & phone [Re: oldbroad] #1150866
05/13/18 12:28 AM
05/13/18 12:28 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Time to call your service provider!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Urban Worrier, Tally Ho, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users