GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Would you play a game without sound or voices? #1152817
06/01/18 09:56 PM
06/01/18 09:56 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I bought a haunted mystery sort of game that has no sound track other than a gloomy violin repeating a short phrase over and over, so I turned it off. The effect without the music track is a game with no sound. The fountains don't splash, the fires don't crackle, puzzles don't make noise as you work them, doors don't creak open, axes don't chop and crowbars don't creak through the wood, blocks of stone fall silently, and if people talk to you, you only get text to read. It has been many years since I played a game like that (maybe 15-20 years?).

I don't think I would have chosen the game if I had given it more thought, although it is challenging and has interesting twists on things to be done and how. I have enjoyed the puzzles except for one that simply wouldn't function (the assembled pieces obviously needed to be rotated into place, but there was no way to rotate them, so I had to Skip that puzzle).

I'm just curious. Would you buy a game that had no sound but the music track?

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152819
06/01/18 10:32 PM
06/01/18 10:32 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Just out of curiosity, what game is it?

If the game were good enough, I think I would still be interested in playing it.

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Marian] #1152829
06/02/18 02:20 AM
06/02/18 02:20 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
If it had a good story, I might yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152840
06/02/18 06:55 AM
06/02/18 06:55 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I prefer no voices to bad voices and I've played many games without voices or which only had voices in the introduction.

I can do without repetitive music tracks, but if a game has no background sounds either, I play some sort of music or environmental sound on a 2nd computer or DVD player.

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152849
06/02/18 09:24 AM
06/02/18 09:24 AM
Waukegan, Il.
exalthim2 Offline
Addicted Boomer
exalthim2  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Waukegan, Il.
I always turn off the music because I am usually listening to the tv at the same time. I also turn the voices on low. I just like the mechanics of a game, not really into the story line.

You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.
Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152861
06/02/18 10:37 AM
06/02/18 10:37 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If the voice acting is dreadful and the music is repetitive and annoying, I'll turn it off every time. I often turn off everything when playing a shooter or an RPG and trying to get past a tricky place. I find the music and sound effects are very effective at raising my pulse and getting the adrenaline running. Sometimes without it, I can concentrate on the task at hand!

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Marian] #1152884
06/02/18 02:39 PM
06/02/18 02:39 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

The game was Exorcist II. It is a well-designed game with a lot of creativity going for it despite being laden with all the tired tropes of the "Possessed-by-Evil" theme, so I enjoyed it and played it all the way through. Actually, some of the over-the-top text made me laugh out loud and I dearly wished I could have heard human voices spouting some of those histrionic and emotive phrases!

As with many gamers, I turn the background music way down or off whenever it is a badly done throwaway effort, repetitive to the point of madness, and adds nothing to the play. If it is a decent soundtrack, though, like the kind that enhances a good film, I leave it functioning.

As for the game's dynamic sounds, I often turn them down by half because they are too loud, but I never turn them off because they also help immerse me in the game world as a whole. Without any sound at all in this game, I never had the sense of being inside of and dealing with a real world, which ~ after all ~ is filled with meaningful sounds as you move through it ~ and people speaking to you do have voices. wink

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152896
06/02/18 04:12 PM
06/02/18 04:12 PM
Canal Fulton, OH
Sparkle Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sparkle  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Canal Fulton, OH
To answer your question, no I don't think I'd enjoy playing a game without sound or voices. The earliest pc games I played were devoid of sound. Since I had nothing to compare them to, I enjoyed them. Couldn't go back now.

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152902
06/02/18 05:50 PM
06/02/18 05:50 PM
Rockland, Ontario, Canada
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Rockland, Ontario, Canada
1) I never play with music, I find it distracting 2)I agree with Sparkle, I am used to playing games with voices, good or bad so the voices stay 3) Sound, well I divide that in 2: A) If the Sound is independent from the Environment sound then yes I enjoy having the sound, although I keep it very low B)If the Sound is attached to the Environment sound (some Developers are too lazy to include 2 sliders) and since I find having to constantly hearing a Dog barking or an Owl hooting regardless of where you are in a game, you can be in a Castle *Dungeon and you can still hear the Dog or Owl, Oh and I almost forgot the favorite, Howling of Wolves or Coyotes, whoopie, SO In that Case I turn off the Sound.

* I kid you not about being in a Castle Dungeon and you can Still hear the animals.. ARRGH!!!

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Starcom] #1152920
06/02/18 08:24 PM
06/02/18 08:24 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Yes, I feel as Sparkle does. I want the characters to speak, not for me to have to read text. Talk about throwing you out of the game environment!

I had to laugh at your comment, Starcom. I have experienced the same bizarre juxtaposition of sound and locations. Once, it was the sound ocean waves whilst I was down a cave tunnel by then.

I am disappointed in a game if it does not have separate volume controls for Music and Voices, as they refer to them. Both usually are too high, so I'll turn them down about the same, but for really lame music tracks, sometimes it needs to be turned off completely before I go mad from hearing it. crazy

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152936
06/02/18 10:18 PM
06/02/18 10:18 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Reenie
Yes, I feel as Sparkle does. I want the characters to speak, not for me to have to read text. Talk about throwing you out of the game environment!

If a game was a good one, having to read text (without spoken words) never threw ME out of the game environment.

But I hardly think there will be many games made that are "text only" these days whistle

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1152978
06/03/18 09:32 AM
06/03/18 09:32 AM
Lincoln, NE
GuybrushThreepwood Offline
Addicted Boomer
GuybrushThreepwood  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
I think I've turned music down once, because it drowned out the dialogue. Don't recall what game that was though.

Oddly enough seems like a lot of darkside games have little to no audible dialogue most have sound effects though. As for the music some spend money on the music (GW1, GW2) actually higher composers and musicians, some play public domain classical.

Currently Playing:
Adventure Game: Broken Age
Darkside: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Mad] #1152989
06/03/18 01:15 PM
06/03/18 01:15 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Mad
But I hardly think there will be many games made that are "text only" these days whistle

Yes. I would guess this game is an oldie based on that and a few other things most contemporary games include that it does not. The question is, would you go back and play an old game that was text-only. From responses above, I take it that some people don't consider the music track or the voices to be deal-breakers while others wouldn't play a game without both. The old "different strokes" thing. smile

Re: Would you play a game without sound or voices? [Re: Reenie] #1153018
06/03/18 04:22 PM
06/03/18 04:22 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
My answer to your question remains a definite "yes" Reenie .... if the game itself is a good one yes

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 470 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users