GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
LILMDDH continues #1156936
07/15/18 01:12 PM
07/15/18 01:12 PM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Part One: The Story Begins, the Previous Three Being Introduction

As I pivoted to alert Eerie through the slamming door, the butt of a pistol appeared screen right. I grabbed the attached wrist, clamped on, and dug in with a long, sturdy thumb nail, my weapon of choice when without my toolbox. The thug grunted and dropped his gun.

The other two elbowed each other with amusement insulting to my skills. I said, “If you kill me, you’ll never get a ransom. Don’t knock me out either. Coming to in strange dungeons makes me cranky.”

Negotiators from way back perhaps as far back as the dawn of time and the birth of the Old Ones, my captors compromised by plastic cuffing my wrists thoughtfully in front and dragging me feet first. My goodness, that took me back decades. I bellowed an off-key chorus from a protest song.

Hairs in their ears quivered. “Silence. Stop before we are forced to violence.”

I complied. The situation was perilous enough.

Towed downward past dripping stone walls pressing ever closer, bumping over increasingly rough and cobbled floors giving way to dank, puddled earth, I recognized a design document of Charlie’s pinned by a kīla to a crack in the mortar between two stones on the mossy wall. Below it on a chain wrapped chest sat a notebook and ballpoint. I whipsawed; my bound hands snagged the journal.

The goons argued over whether to let me keep the equipment and settled on protecting their eyes by removing only the pen.

Alone in an electronically sealed chamber, I sawed the restraints on the rough edges of iron shackles on a skeleton, possibly the remains of a sea captain, then skimmed my newly acquired diary.

It contained: a selection of music allowing me to choose from Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, traditional folk, or John Cage (the last not accessible without a code); a glossy shareholder meeting promotional pamphlet on the offworld origins and earthly development of Breakable Shelving; an unfinished map with handsome cartography that I could add to once I escaped; and a trick latch concealing a multitool with all the usual implements plus a ferro rod firestarter, flashlight, whistle, and lockpick. Glancing up, I zapped a nosey dragon.

Keeping the correct tool extended presented a puzzle. When I conquered the sequence, I discovered the lockpick was no match for the state of the art door, of course and wouldn’t you know, but behind a loose stone level with a thin mattress in the corner gleamed a pickable lock that opened a passage just large enough to make it through on all fours.

Was this all too convenient? – a thought to explore later.

I crawled the short distance toward light from an opening into the adjacent room where flames from wall-mounted cressets billowed and shifted illuminating a vast cathedral ceilinged grotto. As the light stabilized, I saw in the center an elaborate and likely booby-trapped command post, ringed by mounds of unorganized treasure in turn circled by oversize statues of mythical animals so detailed they might have been sculpted from life.

Portals, each different from the next, dotted the walls. From one of these on the opposite side of the rotunda, a shadowy silhouetted figure sporting the outline of a 17th century collar and short romper-like breeches emerged then vanished behind a Heidrun goat nibbling a vine.

I snatched a recumbent Anubis from a palanquin and concealed myself under the wings of a wyvern. Sneaking from wyvern to phoenix to basilisk to goat until I came up behind my prey, I coshed him with Anubis which bent in half at the impact, cracked, and spilled out a signet ring as the intruder buckled and went down. Jewels from beneath the spot he landed rolled and refracted light onto the side of his face.

Grabbing the signet ring before a crow from nowhere could fly off with it, I said, “Charlie?”

He mumbled a response without regaining full consciousness.

Devil the Third trotted in through an irising portal, gave me a quick kiss hello, then set to licking Charlie’s cheeks industriously.

As a seasoned operative, I knew exactly what to do in this family emergency. I ransacked both Charlie and a nearby sarcophagus, locating:

Crushed herbs in a bowl,
A circus wagon, a flagon, a mare with a foal,
A double-griffin choker, a tarot card joker,
Two knights in battle, a medieval saddle,
Cross-garters on Charlie's legs, all 7 lost Faberge eggs,
A mask from Paititi, ancient graffiti,
A tin of canned ham, a scroll from Qumran,
Petroglyphs from Val Camonica, a sheng harmonica,
Two savory cream puffs, an Elizabethan ruff,
A cartouche, a tiny barouche,
A katana, a cutlass, a broadsword and then,
At last, the caliph of Maghreb’s magical pen.

Dinners for all three of us and my ability to chronicle our progress secured, I lighted the herbs. After scribbling in the diary, I tootled on the weird mouthharp along with Shenandoah from the folk music option while Charlie coughing from the incense came to, pushing at then stroking Devil.

“Eerie banshee shrieked so I left dress rehearsal still in costume and used the GPS. Some thanks I get.” Charlie rubbed the back of his head and tossed his shattered cellphone into an open iron maiden. Triggered, it clamped shut. "You took my ruff. And my garters."

“The skeleton in the cell next door has trousers.” Learning to encourage his self-reliance took me years. “If all you can find are cloth and scissors, you can make the pants yourself. I am not doing it. Not with a machine. Not with needle and thread. The same goes for changing tires and fixing generators. Breakable Shelving oligarchs took your father.”

Charlie said, “He needs a new hobby.”

“We’ll work on that later. Also, no fuzzy generic gas stations. The questions are why they took Harold and what do they want.”

While Charlie changed clothes, I read a few notes stuck to idols missing eyes, found almost half of them, discovered all the portals had different versions of Harold’s extra-deluxe devious exit puzzles needing items I did not have, then initiated examination of the command post for hidden rune infestations by poking it with a sword cane. Ever at my side, Devil growled softly. We share strong feelings about inexplicable rune blooms.

In the same doublet and puffy sleeved shirt, Charlie reappeared tucking frayed pants into swashbuckler boots, ready to switch from a role in “Twelfth Night” to “Pirates of Penzance.” He said, “I think I know. This all has to do with Esmerelda.”

“I warned you about her.”

Last edited by 8dognight; 08/13/18 07:37 AM.
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1156944
07/15/18 02:46 PM
07/15/18 02:46 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
"I snatched a recumbent Anubis from a palanquin and concealed myself under the wings of a wyvern."

Just business as usual, apparently. lol

Well done! bravo

Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1156954
07/15/18 06:13 PM
07/15/18 06:13 PM
winter springs fl.
connie Offline
Graduate Boomer
connie  Offline
Graduate Boomer

winter springs fl.
bravo

Connie
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1156955
07/15/18 06:52 PM
07/15/18 06:52 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
that's great, 8dog!

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1157042
07/16/18 02:54 PM
07/16/18 02:54 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
What is "LILMDDH" ????

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: Mad] #1157064
07/16/18 05:03 PM
07/16/18 05:03 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Mad, take a look at this previous thread and read through the first three posts - that will explain it.

Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: Marian] #1157112
07/17/18 10:26 AM
07/17/18 10:26 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks, Marian, I will do that smile

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1158869
08/04/18 10:57 AM
08/04/18 10:57 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
[video:youtube]https://www.metmuseum.org/metmedia/video/collections/esda/roentgens-berlin-secretary-cabinet[/video]

The Metropolitan Museum has a brief video on You Tube of the mechanics of a Roentgen desk that is somewhat smaller than the similar work station puzzle in the center of the room of portals I describe above.

ETA: The command post in LILMDDH is L-shaped and when fully activated, rectangular with various devices apparent.

Last edited by 8dognight; 08/04/18 02:15 PM.
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1158887
08/04/18 12:23 PM
08/04/18 12:23 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Ooh, I love that cabinet!

Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1158983
08/05/18 07:20 AM
08/05/18 07:20 AM
winter springs fl.
connie Offline
Graduate Boomer
connie  Offline
Graduate Boomer

winter springs fl.
WoW, I love it.

Connie
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1158986
08/05/18 08:48 AM
08/05/18 08:48 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
[img]https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/503632[/img]

This is a Sheng harmonica in the Metropolitan Museum's collection.

Here is a good version of Shenandoah on the modern Western harmonica: [img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2x4K8U4pcU[/img]

ETA: From the London Silver Company's blog on the Caliph of Maghreb's pen: "The earliest record of a fountain pen is in 953 when Ma’ad al-Mu’zz the caliph of Maghreb asked his inventors to come up with a pen that didnt stain his clothes or hands and that the ink was contained in a reservoir inside the pen itself. No examples or records exist of such a pen."

I speculate that the pen was much like Schwenter's two quills but put together with wax, which would work better than a cork even if the caliph would have needed a drawer full in reserve, to form an interior capsule for ink. I made up the magical part. Obviously.

Here is what historyofpencils.com said: "Earliest mention of a pen that has an ink reservoir is from year 973. Ma'ād al-Mu'izz, the caliph of the Maghreb, region of Northwest Africa, asked for a pen that would keep his hand clean while he uses it and would not leave as much mess as standard pens and quills. His wish was fulfilled with a pen that held ink inside and could be held upside-down without spilling but we don’t know precisely how this pen worked or how it looked like. Next mention of a pen with inner reservoir comes from 17th century when German inventor Daniel Schwenter invented a pen made from two quills. One quill was placed inside the other; it held the ink and was closed with a cork. Ink left the reservoir through a small hole which led to a nib."

Last edited by 8dognight; 08/06/18 08:04 AM.
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1159530
08/09/18 10:30 AM
08/09/18 10:30 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Here are a few more of the HO list items:

Porcelain mare and foal: [img]https://www.seawaychina.com/product/gude-grey-mare-and-foal-hn2519-royal-doulton-animal/[/img]

Circus wagon tour: The HO circus wagon is actually a beautifully detailed gold and precious stone miniature of a lion cage pulled by two horses. The wagon is thought to have been looted then melted down in the Siege of Paris during Franco-Prussian War. The miniature was part of a circus set whose manufacture and history were fabricated entirely in my imagination.

Flagon: [img]https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/238576[/img]

Tiny Barouche: [img]https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/449585975277844359/[/img]

7 lost Faberge eggs: [img]https://ancientexplorers.com/blogs/news/the-lost-faberge-eggs[/img]

Val Camonica petroglyphs, image on right side of page: [img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronauts[/img]

Paititi: While Breakable Shelving knows where Paititi is and either has plundered it or gotten artifacts when freshly made, my impression is that even the most intrepid treasure hunters are still only on the trail and Paititi has not been definitely located or explored yet, so any Incan gold mask that can be seen as alien will have to do. If you want to read about looking for Paititi, Forbes has an article. [img]https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2...e-peru-forever/[/img]

Last edited by 8dognight; 08/12/18 10:30 AM.
Re: LILMDDH continues [Re: 8dognight] #1160115
08/14/18 11:46 AM
08/14/18 11:46 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline OP
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

deep south
Some of the faceted stones Charlie landed on must have left a dent.

https://www.gemselect.com/other-info/worlds-largest-faceted-gemstone-topaz.php

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (FlyingDutchman42), 273 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users